Car Magnets (Advertising)

Business By Wesha Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm by indydebi

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #1 of 11

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know. To you all that have magnetic signs on your vehicles for advertising, what type of information do you have on yours? If you have pictures, please attach them.

thanks

Benisha

10 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 11

Howdy...
I have one that includes the name of my business, the phone number, and the picture of a lighthouse. (name of my business is Ocean Front Chocolates & Specialty Cakes, and my logo is a lighthouse. I don't leave it on when I'm not driving it, or I change it from one side of the car to the other. Leaving it on one spot can mess with the paint after a spell.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 11

I purchased car magnets. My insurance lady said if I use them then I have to use the vechicle as a commercial vechicle and it must be plated as a commercial vechicle. $$

You also are more at risk with crooks who are looking for some insurance money they may try to cause and accident for money because you have a buisness.

I never used mine. When I deliver a cake I put a sign on the back window cake on board.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 11

You should check with your insurance agent (personal auto insurance). I know the companies we represent here in NJ do require that if you have ads on the car, it's supposed to have commercial auto coverage. this of course means registering the car to your business. I wonder though, can you do a bumper magnet? Maybe with a small logo and site, phone #? then, it's more of a bumper sticker? You'd really have to check though with the insurance agent.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I purchased car magnets. My insurance lady said if I use them then I have to use the vechicle as a commercial vechicle and it must be plated as a commercial vechicle. $$

You also are more at risk with crooks who are looking for some insurance money they may try to cause and accident for money because you have a buisness.

I never used mine. When I deliver a cake I put a sign on the back window cake on board.

WOW I have never heard of that. I know here in NC that is not the case at all.

I am going to get some made as well. Or a cling for my side window, I drive a Durango and the back windows are dark tinted so I think it might show well on those. I am going to put my name, email and web address on it. I am working on a website right now.

I am looking at getting it from vistaprint dot com. They have the best deals.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 11

I live here in West Carrollton, just South of Dayton. Before I orderded my magnet, I checked with the Motor Vehicle place up the road, and my insurance agent, as there were different people telling me I had to go commercial, and no I didn't. I didn't have to go commercial vehicle to do it. I've been more concerned that someone would take the magent just for the heck of it, then someone causing an accident because I own a business.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

WOW I have never heard of that. I know here in NC that is not the case at all.

I am going to get some made as well. Or a cling for my side window, I drive a Durango and the back windows are dark tinted so I think it might show well on those. I am going to put my name, email and web address on it. I am working on a website right now.

I am looking at getting it from vistaprint dot com. They have the best deals.

Thanks patticakesnc,

I have drawn up a sample on Vista print but have not purchased it yet.

Benisha

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #8 of 11

Definately check with the company you insure your vehicle through.

Most states in the US will not allow for you to have vehicle advertisements of any kind (including bumper stickers) with out being commercial.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #9 of 11

I'm not ready to have a business yet...but it's in the works. This info is something to tuck away until then. I had no idea that you had to have commercial plates to advertise.

Is that why there are companies out there that will pay you to drive around with their company logo on their vehicle?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 11

I recently changed my insurance company (commerical) for my vehicle and asked my insurance person if I needed commerical plates. She said no, that having the coverage is all you need. The DMV requires it for buses and trucks, but not for cake delivery cars. (that is why you will see some large trucks hailing campers that have a plate that says "not for hire", so they dont have to get a commercial plate)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

WOW I have never heard of that. I know here in NC that is not the case at all.[/quote]
this is part of the reason commercial insurance is SO much more expensive than personal insurance. If someone is involved in an accident with a biz vehicle, they think "wooo-whooo!! a business!! they have lots of money and I'm suing for a ton of cash!" Higher risk .... higher premium.

My van is registered in my company name but my plates are not "commercial". It may differ from state to state, it may depend on the size/weight of the vehicle.

And again ...... having a sign on your vehicle is NOT the deciding factor in whether you need commercial insurance or not. It's based on the USE of the car.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%