1St Wedding Cake Due On Saturday...help!

Decorating By Taylorsmom Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm by RobzC8kz

Taylorsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taylorsmom Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

Hi... I wanted to know how far in advance should I start baking/freezing my cakes, and can I put fondant on a frozen cake? Thanks!

5 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

Genereally, if my wedding cake is due on saturday, I'll start baking on wednesday/thursday, then decorate on friday... I don't freeze my cakes, but I'll wrap 'em tightly and refridgerate them... I'm not sure about the fondant on a frozen cake thing.. from what a few people say, it will defrost and cause all kinds of condensation problems, but some people have had great success... either way, it only takes a short while to thaw an undecorated cake.. icon_smile.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 6

At first I was not big on freezing my cakes but now I do it all the time and they are actually better...more moist.

I bake on the Sat or Sun before and then cover in about 3 layers of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and freeze. I always let them defrost before I ice and fondant...if not I think it can cause some issues. They only need to defrost for about 30 mins.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

Congrats on your first wedding cake! I've only done a few myself, but had bad luck when i tried to fondant a cake that wasn't completely thawed. Condensation made a mess of it!

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 6

I make my cakes ahead of time and freeze them. If I have a lot of baking do do, as for a larger cake, I will start about a week ahead and freeze the cakes. I don't ice the cakes before I freeze them. I also would not freeze fondant. It will not look nice after it thaws. I also make my buttercream ahead of time and keep it in air tight containers in the refrigerator. I do as much ahead of time to save time for decorating the day before the wedding.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 6

You can freeze ahead of time, but make sure you bring the cake to room temperature before you ice or fondant. I've seen a few condensation disasters because water gets in between the cake and the icing and everything just slides right off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%