How Do You Store/organize Your Cookie Cutters?

Baking By SweetSweetCreations Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm by SweetSweetCreations

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 14

I have so many cookie cutters, what do I do with them?

13 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #2 of 14

I just finished organizing mine - it's not great but I have such a limited amount of space to work with. I bought about 12 clear shoe boxes (the plastic ones with the white lids) and divided them up according to holiday, theme, etc.

It has been so much easier to just reach for the box labeled 'flowers' instead of plowing thru tons of cutters (and then usually not find the one I was looking for icon_confused.gif )

SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you, I have mine in ziplock baggies in a big plastic container. It is so un-organized!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 14

I bought a bunch of clear plastic rectangle boxes with lids and organized them by season. Then I took an index card and wrote down each cookie cutter and taped it on the inside, so the words show through the clear plastic. That way I can see what's in the box. It made my life so much easier! I couldn't stand digging through 100's of cookie cutters to find the specific one I needed.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 14

Obviously I needed to read this forum too... My cookie cutters look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarhobby/2569312534/in/set-72157605559841164/ Thanks for the ideas!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 14

I have like a plastic drawer kind of thing that i store them in,they never fit so the drawers are always slightly ajar.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 14

I like the plastic shoe box idea, thanks

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 14

Gallon-size Ziploc bags, labeled accordingly (i.e., Christmas, Spring/Easter/Flowers, Halloween, Shapes, Misc, Letters/Numbers)

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 14

I have mine in the 20qt clear plastic containers, I have them sorted by theme xmas, food, cloths etc!
I also have a list taped inside listing every cutter thats in the tub with the end facing me so I can just look to see whats on the list in that container. Works great for me! I have all the tubs stacked/ double stacked on a shelf.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:53am
post #10 of 14

I have mine hanging on mug racks on the inside doors of my kitchen cabinets. Not the best solution, but it works for me.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 14

I also bought the clear plastic shoe boxes with the white lids...sorted them by occasion...made a list on an index card what was in each box and taped it on the end so that you can read it from the outside. Definitely better than the huge laundry basket I did have them in, LOL!

TheSugarBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarBaker Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 14

I use several rolling carts with drawers. I get them at Joann's and always try to use their 40% off coupons as they are about $39. each. They each have 6 drawers and work very well for me. I sort by holidays & special occassion ie wedding/engagement, baby shower, birthday etc... Granted my pantry may be a bit larger than most and my cookie cutter obsession taking it over but its so convenient and easy to get the cookie cutter I want without having to look through what must be 100+ cutters. I also use these same drawers to store gel colors, luster dust etc... I know you didnt ask this, but for sanding sugars, nonparells, jimmies etc.. Container Store,s spice rack that mounts in your cabinet works great. Being organized makes baking & decorating even more fun by taking some of the "work" out of it. Another tip you didnt ask for, but I love doing this too, is I mix up my basic sugar cookie recipe up ahead of time and put it in the 32 oz plastic mayo jars that have been emptied and cleaned of course. This allows me to work ahead... Sorry so much - I love "talking cookies"!! Good luck!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 14

Mine are in the plastic drawers, probably like what solascakes uses. The containers are individual, and I have a total of four of them. I can't say I have a huge amount of cutters (unless you count the ones I had manufactured for my cookie cutter kits...my husband still grumbles about them being in the way!). I separated them so that all the holiday cutters are in one bin, numbers & alphabets in another, misc. in one, and the fourth contains mini cutters, cookie sticks, and cookie bags. Kinda messy, really, but I pretty much know where everything is. But then, my obsession isn't all that old, so I still have time to grow my collection!

SweetSweetCreations Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you so much I think I will go get some of the plastic drawers. I am a scrapbooker also so my husband is starting to get concerned that my hobbies are taking over the home. I just can't help myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%