A "new" (But Old) Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By Ponygirl1 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 12:47am by pattycakesnj

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 6

Ok....I know I'm a newbie here, but I feel like I should give a little
"somthin'somthin" back to all you guys that I have "copied, saved, etc." from.. Long ago.. I took cake decorating classes from a wonderful lady named Sandy (I don't remember her last name because I'm older than dirt and I think that she was older than me at that time..I was 26 or 27..I'm now 60 (WHO IS SAYING THAT? I'm 34 and I'm stickin' to it!) Anyway... I wanted to put her recipe out there and see if any of you might be interested in trying it out. She really hated the "mouth feel" of too much fat in the icing, so this is what she gave to her students as "Her Recipe". I have looked all over the site and have never seen it posted. If any of you have any "throw away cupcakes", etc. and want to give it a shot, I' love to know what you think about it. I made a Wedding cake and Grooms cake (again long ago before dirt actually had a name).. with it and it was fantastic! Very different from the ones posted, and QUICK & EASY !
Here goes.....

2 lbs. Powdered Sugar
3/4 C. Crisco
1/2 C. Water
2 t. Vanilla Extract
2 t. Butter Extract
2 t. Almond Extract
1/2 t. Salt

Just combine in your mixer till smooth.
For making roses, etc., add more powdered sugar "till right".

From "her mouth to my ears, and out my mouth again"....
""If this is too sweet for some folks, just add 1/2 C. flour to combat the sweetness"". (I didn't need to do this tho...everyone LOVED it!)

EASY BREEZY !

Thanks again you guys for teaching me so much....YOU ALL AMAZE ME !
What an awesome group of people !

5 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

that is similar to the recipe from Wilton only they add a little mereguine powder

Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesncookies

that is similar to the recipe from Wilton only they add a little mereguine powder

Oh man, that makes me feel like crap! No offense taken..I just have the feeling (from what I've seen posted before )..that the Wilton recipes are just that...crap!..In fact, I don't even look at any Wilton recipes because of that.
My decorator was Wilton "taught" (but she diverted from most of their recipes because she didn't like them, and always pointed that out to us !)....oh man....Where is my Courvoisier... icon_cry.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

sorry, didn't mean to upset you, not everything Wilton is crap

Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

no,no,no, pattycakesncookies (did I get that right?) hope so LOL!
I appreciate every input I get! I never look at the Wilton recipes, so I had NO idea it was even CLOSE to theirs....I've adhered to my decorators instructions to the letter sooooo.....I must go check out the Wilton site..I wonder if it's there ? Oh my! icon_redface.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

it should be on their website, it is definitely in their annual yearbooks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%