Have You Seen This New Alt. To Pirouette/piroulines?

Decorating By ceshell Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm by Win

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 18

I just saw the ad in today's newspaper: Oreo Fun Stix. They are basically Oreo pirouline/pirouette cookies. I thought they were clever not because they are Oreos, but rather because of the different color options. The chocolate is much browner than any pirouette I've seen, and the vanilla...well, plain white (without the chocolate flecks) is hard to come by. Plus of course they are not filled with hazelnut, for those with allergy considerations.

My only concern is that they are hollow, so getting them around your cake without breakage might be a nightmare. Anyway I just thought I'd share. I haven't bought any! http://www.nabiscoworld.com/oreo/funstix/

17 replies
liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 18

Those look delicious, I want some to eat.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 18

COOL I love oreos and those will work great with my oreo cake.

Here is also a recipe I found for Pirouette cookies. Haven't tried it yet but want to.

http://cookie.betterrecipes.com/pirouette-cookies.html

slmnorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slmnorris Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 18

I used some this past weekend on a cake and they worked very good. A little flaky but not too bad. They tasted yummy! Especially with the buttercream incing.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 18

Wow - haven't seen those yet. It will probably be next year before we get them here in the boonies icon_lol.gif . Thanks for posting -

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 18

Looks like those will come in handy for any number of things!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 18

yeah, i saw those. i did a pirouette cake last night. another thing is the pirouette can cost $5.48 at my walmart and there are 30 in the can. the oreo stix are $2.50 and 16 in the box, so depending on how many you need, the oreo stix are cheaper BUT, there are sooooo many broken stix, i needed about 52ish for a 6" cake, and the 1 can of pirouettes only had 19 unbroken full stix (had to have the uniform look) so ended up getting more cans icon_sad.gif just some numbers to think about!

ceshell Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 18

I must say: I noticed literally just the other day, that the 99c store carries pirouline-type cookies...don't be afraid to check there. If I recall correctly, the containers are plastic so you can actually see if the cookies are broken thumbs_up.gif It was a normal sized container too, I'd say at least 20 cookies. Take a look! This was at the real "99c Only" store - I haven't looked at other dollar stores. FYI!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 18

The Oreo Fun Stix are actually meant to be straws. They're hollow. The kids can sip their milk, get the Oreo taste, then eat the straw! Wish I was still a kid. icon_wink.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

The Oreo Fun Stix are actually meant to be straws. They're hollow. The kids can sip their milk, get the Oreo taste, then eat the straw! Wish I was still a kid. icon_wink.gif

Who says they are only for kids? Go ahead and try them they are probably yummy. icon_biggrin.gif I would Idf I hadn't just been given a chocolate restriction.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #11 of 18

Oh, I have. icon_wink.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #12 of 18

They also have cereal straws fruit loops, apple jacks a couple others in the cereal aisle. Bright fun colors.

ceshell Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

They also have cereal straws fruit loops, apple jacks a couple others in the cereal aisle. Bright fun colors.

Hey that's cool to know!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:50am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

I just saw the ad on the website. Looks like fun. I bet my kids would love that (ok, who am I kidding me too icon_lol.gif )

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 18

Does look like fun. Gotta get some. Just love Oreos. thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I just saw the ad in today's newspaper: Oreo Fun Stix. They are basically Oreo pirouline/pirouette cookies. I thought they were clever not because they are Oreos, but rather because of the different color options. The chocolate is much browner than any pirouette I've seen, and the vanilla...well, plain white (without the chocolate flecks) is hard to come by. Plus of course they are not filled with hazelnut, for those with allergy considerations.

My only concern is that they are hollow, so getting them around your cake without breakage might be a nightmare. Anyway I just thought I'd share. I haven't bought any! http://www.nabiscoworld.com/oreo/funstix/

They are flakier than Pirouettes and tend to want to break a little easier, but still work well... I used them for the trunks of palm trees not long ago. Great dark color! They are not as hollow as they seem in pictures. The white coating pretty well covers as an inner lining.

Cereals made into "straws" like Fruit Loops and Cocoa Krispies are great as well!

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 18

These are really YUMMY! We buy them all the time. And for those of us that our watching our waistlines I think one pkg of 2 cookies is only 80 calories. Whoo! Hoo! icon_biggrin.gif I think they'd look great on a cake but like someone else mentioned they are a bit flaky.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I must say: I noticed literally just the other day, that the 99c store carries pirouline-type cookies...don't be afraid to check there. If I recall correctly, the containers are plastic so you can actually see if the cookies are broken thumbs_up.gif It was a normal sized container too, I'd say at least 20 cookies. Take a look! This was at the real "99c Only" store - I haven't looked at other dollar stores. FYI!

Oh, and Aldi carries the most fabulous tasting Piroulines as well! They come many more to a can than the more expensive brand names, and have three different varieties.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%