Buttercream Without Shortening And Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By blueberrycheesecake Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm by tonedna

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 28

Hi! I've been making buttercream icing for a year now & thought that I was making good progress with it. Just a little more practice, and my buttercream will be smoother.

But I read somewhere in Flickr that she doesn't have shortening & powdered sugar in her buttercream icing that's why it doesn't crust. She put the cake in fridge (already iced with buttercream) and then take it out after few hours (I think) and then uses a a clean spatula to smoothen out the icing.

And I've got to hand this to that lady because she was very good with cakes & her buttercream icing are really smooth and clean.

Do you have the recipe of this type of buttercream? I really am going crazy just looking it up on the internet. icon_sad.gif

P.S. I am kind of curious about her buttercream because one of my customers just last month made a comment that she wanted an icing that doesn't crust after putting it in the fridge. I can only think of using whipped cream but it's a bit expensive to where I'm at.

27 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 28

That sounds like Swiss meringue buttercream icing..It wont crust, but, it will harden in the fridge. There is a few recipes here in CC for it
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 28

I think you might be referring to Meringue Buttercream. There are two methods of making it: Italian (IMBC) and Swiss (SMBC). This type of buttercream uses eggwhites, granulated sugar and butter.

Try one of the recipes in the recipe section.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 28

Yup. Swiss (SMBC) or Italian (IMBC) meringue buttercream. THE best buttercream around. And honestly, I don't consider shortening mixed with powdered sugar and NO real butter to BE buttercream. icon_smile.gif There are lots of recipes for both SMBC and IMBC in the recipes section of the website. Once you go meringue, you don't go back!

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Yup. Swiss (SMBC) or Italian (IMBC) meringue buttercream. THE best buttercream around. And honestly, I don't consider shortening mixed with powdered sugar and NO real butter to BE buttercream. icon_smile.gif There are lots of recipes for both SMBC and IMBC in the recipes section of the website. Once you go meringue, you don't go back!

well.. I have tried it...i didnt love it..I guess to each its own..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 28

Me neither! And I was so excited to try it but it tasted like a big ole' bite of butter with some sugar mixed in.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 28

Ditto w/ thinking it tastes like a big bite of butter!

I certainly rather eat a spoonful of sugar than a stick of butter.. but that's why I prefer the overly sweet American buttercream opposed to Swiss/Italian Meringue.

=)

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #8 of 28

Im so glad I am not alone on this!...I felt like I was eating butter!..I mean, I am not saying is not good, is just that for me..there is a point I gag!
Edna

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 28

I couldn't figure out why people were raving about it - it is literally pounds of butter with egg whites and a miniscule amount of sugar.... it looks gorgeous and I think that's what alot of high end decorators use but I can't believe that many people really enjoy it.

I think the average palate would not care for it but who knows! icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #11 of 28

have ya'll .seen that commercial where the guy gets caught peeling the paper from a stick of butter and proceeding to eat it? Seriously, that is just what I used to do 'cept it was oleo...for real...I then, advanced to butter and sugar sandwiches...aka a bendover(lol...that sounds funny now) at least a 1/4" thick layer of 'oleo' and a heavy pour of sugar...press the sugar into the oleo (we did call it butter even though we knew it wasn't), bend it in half and ENJOY...every now and again, I go back...oh, my...the happiness a tablespoon(not the measurin' kind) and a jar of Blue Plate mayonnaise would bring ( I prefer Hellman's now though).

Soooooo, if it's icin', I'm there!

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #12 of 28

lmao allforcake..thats funny..still a bit disgusting..but funny...hahaha
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:01am
post #13 of 28

My DH would and does agree that it's disgusting...I tell him to turn his head...oh, the sour cream thing really makes him ill...I didn't tell ya about the sour cream thing...it's like the mayonnaise thing only with the sour cream.

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #14 of 28

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #15 of 28

and for those who haven't tried it yet....God bless! the swiss meringue buttercream made with packed dark brown sugar instead of the white granulated....I ain't jokin' I had to roll over and smoke a cigarette after eating a spoonful of that stuff!

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

and for those who haven't tried it yet....God bless! the swiss meringue buttercream made with packed dark brown sugar instead of the white granulated....I ain't jokin' I had to roll over and smoke a cigarette after eating a spoonful of that stuff!

You are cracking me up! icon_smile.gif ok, what did the brown sugar stuff taste like?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Me neither! And I was so excited to try it but it tasted like a big ole' bite of butter with some sugar mixed in.

Then you my friend, had improperly prepared SMBC. Sorry, it should be a light fluffy sweet delicious vanilla-y concoction that generally would make youturn your back on traditional buttercreams from this day forth. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Oh thanks for the reminder, I have to try that next time! icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #19 of 28

It was like a rich caramel flavor but with the smooth, yet fluffy, creamy texture of meringue buttercream...it truly is an awesome flavor!

edited to add the m back to creamy...I was using it as I was thinking about the description of that icing...mmmmmmmmmm

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:20am
post #20 of 28

You are making it sound rather yummy, all4cake!!!

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:26am
post #21 of 28

Give it a try...if you don't like it, I'll eat it!

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:29am
post #22 of 28

I might try that..no promises of falling in love with it... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #23 of 28

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623859-brown.html+sugar

It comes out to be a bit darker than what is shown in the pictures I shared... but it worked beautifully...I did have to add a smidge more butter to it(normally, I use the 1-2-3 method...I had to add almost 4 more tblsps to it)

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:51am
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I tried this once. I hated the decoratings. It didn't respond the way American Buttercream did. It was my first time using it and I was up against a deadline. I will probably try again some other time when I'm practicing on a dummy instead a real cake. I don't remember which kind I used now.

If you make American Buttercream with powder sugar and butter instead of shortning you might like it.

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:28am
post #25 of 28

hello everyone! thank you so much for all the replies.. icon_smile.gif

i guess each of us likes different icing and i find my buttercream recipe easy to work with.
honestly, i've been following the American buttercream icing & Cream Cheese Frosting of artofdessert from flickr & the buttercream icing of tonedna (i'm a big fan of your videos on youtube!).. tonedna's buttercream tasted good because it has part butter in it.. i sometimes used more butter than required because kids loved it here! =)

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:28am
post #26 of 28

DO NOT GET JAMIE STARTED,I REPEAT DO NOT GET JAMIE STARTED ON FREAKY FOODS.lol

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #27 of 28

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah....that is dangerous ground! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

DO NOT GET JAMIE STARTED,I REPEAT DO NOT GET JAMIE STARTED ON FREAKY FOODS.lol

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%