Removing Cheesecake From Springform Base

Decorating By bettinashoe Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:50am by cutthecake

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 12

I've been making cheesecake for years but never have sold them so this hasn't been an issue until recently. How do you get the cake off the springform base and onto a cardboard round for selling? I always use a graham cracker/butter/sugar crust but I have absolutely no idea how to loosen the crust enough for transferring. Any help would be appreciated?

Bettina

11 replies
JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 12

Although I have never sold a cheesecake, I have taken the cake from the pan to place on a cake stand. I cut a square of parchment large enough to cover the surface of the springform base and hang over the edges about 1.5". I then lock the sides over the parchment. When the pan is closed, you can see the parchment sticking out of the bottom. When I am ready to take the cake from the pan, I just unlock, as usual and slide the cake onto the platter, or, in your case, the cardboard round.

Good luck! I am curious to hear how the professionals do it!

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 12

I line my pans with parchment paper (cut out a circle for the bottom and then use a strip on the sides) before baking. I can use both cake pans and springform pans using this method. After your cheesecake has cooled, (about 2 hours) & while it is still in the pan, cover it well with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer overnight. In the morning, fill a shallow bowl with hot water. Then simply put the pan of cheesecake into the bowl of water for half a minute (this loosens the cheesecake in the pan and makes it slide out perfectly). Pull the pan out of the water (dry it off) then flip the cheesecake over (plastic wrap still on) onto a cake board and then flip it back over onto a cake round (& remove the parchment). The cheesecake keeps its shape because its frozen while you are moving it. Thaw in the refrigerator and serve.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 12

I hold mine over an oven burner and move it around until the bottom is warmed up and the cake loosens up. You can turn them upside down if they're chilled, so you can flip it out of the pan then turn it back over onto the board.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 12

Great ideas. Thanks so much. Just one of those little things I've never really thought about but it sounds really easy. Thanks again.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 12

I use parchment too - makes it much simpler to move!

Bec

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:27am
post #7 of 12

I bake mine in a standard cake pan (parchment lined), not a spring form pan Once they are thoroughly chilled, I giive them a quick dip in a pan of hot water or hit them with a propane torch, then I flip them onto a plastic wrap covered cake circle, and then again onto a plain round for sale.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 12

I do exactly as pinkziab does, because springform pans and water baths do not go well together! Plus, I just strongly dislike springform pans for some reason. icon_smile.gif

slemkewicz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slemkewicz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 12

Okay, this might sound crazy to most of you given your responses, which sound more sophisticated than mine is going to be!

I ALWAYS remove mine this way:

bake in a springform pan - nothing special.

I let it firm up in the fridge (obviously).

I then run a knife around the perimeter twice.

I then take a large bread knife and place it in between the bottom of the crust and the pan bottom and I work it around, turning the cake as I have the knife about 1/2 way under the cheesecake.

Then, I lift up the knife, still under the cheesecake to ensure it's loosened.

I lift up the cheesecake just a little bit with the knife and slide the round under the cheesecake. Then, I push the cheesecake until it is all the way on the round.

I have done this TONS of times and I have never had one break on me. Even when doing it in a hurry.

Hope it helps!

I just might try the parchment paper thing next time!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 12

I cover a 10" cake board with tinfoil and use that instead of the normal springfrom bottom. No need to take anything off....and the cardboard goes with the cake and I don't have to worry about getting it back!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #11 of 12

I use a springform pan with the removeable bottom lined with parchment. I wrap my pans very well in foil and bake the cakes in a water bath.

When the cakes are cooled, I cover them with plastic, and freeze them overnight. The next day I run my torch around the ring quickly before unlocking it. It slips away very easily. Then I flip the frozen cake over onto a platic-covered cake round to remove the bottom. The bottom piece pulls away from the parchment, and the parchment easily pulls away from the crust. Then I flip the cake back over onto the cake round that it will be permanently situated on.

Sounds complicated, but it is really easy and works well! thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #12 of 12

I just bake for family, and I used to hate to bring cheesecake anywhere because I'd never get the springform pan bottom back. I started using cardboard cake circles (trimmed to fit, if necessary) inside the springform pan so I didn't have to worry about tracking down the pan bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%