Can You "half" A Cake Mix?

Decorating By Charb31 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 4:03am by Charb31

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am making 4 dozen cupcakes for an Easter Egg Hunt this weekend. A dozen of 4 different flavors!! Can you half a box of cake mix and it come out the same? icon_confused.gif I really dont want a total of 12 dozen cupcakes, but I guess if nothing else, I can make 6" rounds of the remaining batter.

Can someone answer this for me?

TIA

Char icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

You sure can. Divide the mix in half by weight, and half everything else. If the full mix called for three eggs, you can use 2, or you can actually break an egg into a glass and get half an egg by weight, as well (a lot of my recipes call for eggs by weight rather than by count anyway lol). good luck.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 5

Yes!! I do this all the time. The box tells you how much the mix weighs. I measure out half the mix directly into my mixing bowl (grams is easier than ounces), then put the rest in a ziploc bag and back into the original box for the next time. To divide an egg, it's easiest to mix it up with a fork and divide the beaten egg in half. This is what I have always done in the past, but honestly I think it would be easier to just use 2 eggs if the mix calls for 3. Some cake mixes call for 1/3 cup of oil. Half of 1/3 cup is 8 tsp (or 2Tbsp + 2 tsp). Hope this helps!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 5

I also do it all the time.. the only way to go to avoid a lot of extra baking and possible waste... works like a charm... exactly as the other ladies described how they do it!! I do just throw in 2 eggs instead of dividing 3 eggs in half though!!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help! I halved a lemon, strawberry and spice cake. Worked like a charm. I baked the whole box of chocolate so I could take some cuppycakes into work on Monday. Bunch of whiny men...."ohhh you;re bakin this weekend? Do we get anything?" Sheesh....

Thanks again so much!! You guys are AWESOME!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%