To Be A Chef???

Decorating By myheartsdesire Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm by myheartsdesire

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 3

There is a culinary school in my state that has a 1 year technical certificate for pastry/baking. My question is would I be a chef technically??? or are there longer programs required for that??

2 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 3

Technically, yes, you would be... HOWEVER that alone would not likely allow you to walk into a restaurant and get a position as a head pastry chef, and you'd likely only be called "chef" by lower-ranking kitchen staff. You'd still have to work your way up from a position as pastry cook... which is still a step up, because without the culinary certificate you'd probably have to start by taking out the trash icon_smile.gif

And, honestly, if all you ever want to do is cakes, then a culinary certificate/degree isn't necessary. You are better off taking specific cake classes elsewhere. Cake decorating is only a small part of the curriculum in most schools' pastry programs.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 3

Actually, I want to open a bakery in about 5-10 years. So some knowledge will help bunches.
Plus I want to know I have done something with myself. Right now i am a stay at home mom with a GED. The mom part I am proud of but I don't have much marketibility(no clue how to spell that word!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%