How Long Is Cake Batter Good For If In The Fridge?????

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm by JanH

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 4

Weds. morning around 11am I mixed up 3 batches of "durable white cake", then I got called to my son's school, so I put saran wrap overt the bowl and put it in the fridge, I was busy the rest of that day, then yesterday I worked 15 hours and I would love to start baking them this morning...(the cake is due tom.) I just don't want to bake it if it is bad. I also don't want to start new and waste all that money, 12 egg whites, 3 boxes of cake mix, 3 boxes of pudding and so on. Has anyone ever baked a couple days after mixing and refridgerating? thanks,

Sarah

3 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 4

I didn't bake it but here is my opinion:
The cake mix in the fridge isn't bad. The only problem is the baking powder in the mix - depending on what sort of baking powder there is, it started to work as soon as you added liquids to your mix. This means for you the risk that the cake doesn't rise.
Me personally, I would try to salvage it. I would remix the batter with baking powder - 1 to 2 teaspoons per mix and bake it.

If there is baking soda only, you should be fine with simply remixing. This starts to work by oven temperature only.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much, I mixed it up again and baked them and they rose just fine. Sorry about that, I have never had to do that before. Thanks for being so helpful.

Sarah

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 4

Cake mixes and most scratch bakers use double acting baking powder. What this means is that the baking powder is 1st activated when liquid is added, with a 2nd activation when heat is applied (during baking).

As a result, cake batter can sit without losing its ability to rise properly; it can also be refrigerated and/or frozen without losing its ability to rise.

All about baking powder with photos of brand name baking powders available in the U.S.:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%