Can I Put Ri Accents On A Cookie Topped With Rbc?

Baking By iheartcookies Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm by flourbud

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to try RBC on the next batch of cookies but I am not sure if I can put RI accents on them?

If the RI does work on RBC- what I would like to do is pipe my RI accents ahead of time and let them dry- on a cookie iced in RI I would then just drop them in while it was wet, obviosuly I can not do that with RBI- can I just put a little more RI 'glue' on the back- will they stay?

15 replies
cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 16

Yep! I do it all the time! Just pipe it right onto the RBC!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 16

Hmm, I'm interested in this too. Maybe you should do a test and see what happens. I've never worked with RBC, does it crust? If it crusts I would say that you should be fine to pipe right onto it.

iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 16

cool- thanks

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

Hmm, I'm interested in this too. Maybe you should do a test and see what happens. I've never worked with RBC, does it crust? If it crusts I would say that you should be fine to pipe right onto it.

RBC rolls out like fondant, but tastes more like buttercream. So, no it doesn't really "crust", but it firms up a lttle bit like fondant does.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 16

anyone want to share their recipe for rbc?

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 16

I assume RBC is royal buttercream? I have not seen this recipe, do you have it?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 16

Rolled Buttercream, not royal buttercream. It is the consistency of soft fondant.

iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 16

I got my recipe from the recipe section here- if you do a search for it, that is the one I plan on trying minus the oils for flavoring - I am just going to use vanilla

cambo Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 16

The recipe posted in the recipes section is very good! I flavor mine with a little orange extract and it's delicious! It is very similar to a soft fondant, and stays soft too! The attached are all RBC with royal details....
LL
LL
LL

iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 16

oh my gosh, they are so cute- I love the shoes!!

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 16

OK this is probably a stupid question but I've never used RBC. So i'ts like a softer fondant?? Well how do you get it on the cookie? Flop it on top and trim around the cookie shape? I warned you this was a stupid question.
thanks for enlightening me
P.S. I love the shoes too.

iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 16

flourbud, I have yet to do it but you would use the same cookie cutter to cut out the rbc that you cut the cookie out with- this is why you see a lot of people talk about how important it is to chill the cookie dough so it doesn't spread- so the rbc and the cookie are roughly the same size. From what I read a lot of people put it right on the cookie while it is still warm and it sort of melts onto the cookie. Others I beleive suggested using a dab or corn syrup to make it adhere. again, I have not ever done it yet (though I did just make my batch of rbc to use this weekend) so someone correct me if I am wrong or missed anything important!

flourbud Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 16

newcakebaker: Good ideas. I'll be right there with you this weekend giving this a try.

cambo Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #15 of 16

No stupid questions here! Yes, it's a much softer fondant'ish texture, and you would use the same cookie cutter to cutout the RBC to place on the cookie. I've worked with it so much that I find it easy to manage and place on the cookie. The biggest complaint I hear is that when folks go to pick it up and place it on the cookie, it's so soft that the shape distorts. I use an extremely thin spatula (Williams Sonoma) to "scoop" the RBC shape up in one fast motion, quickly transfer it to my hands and quickly place it on my cooled cookie! I also place a very thin bead of corn syrup on the cookie first to help the RBC adhere...which I keep in a squeeze bottle with a small tip!

If you still have issues with the RBC texture being too soft....some folks cut it out on their silpat (or parchment or whatever you have) and then they place the cutouts in the freezer for a few minutes to stiffen up so that it's easier to handle!

I've tried placing the RBC on warm cookies and don't prefer the look and finish it gives my RBC. Also, RBC will be very greasy and sometimes shiny looking.....just use more powdered sugar when rolling it out and that will cut down on the shininess considerably! Hope that helps!

flourbud Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 16

Cambo: Thanks so much for the detailed tips. After the cookies are completely decorated with the RBC and RI accents, can they be frozen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%