Cake Stands And Bow Loop Dryer That I Made Today...

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm by Necey

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 37

My husband and I made 2 cake stands and a bow loop dryer today. The bow loop dryer idea I got from JaimeAnn. I still have to figure out what color to paint the stands.
LL
LL
LL

36 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 37

I love those stands they are beautiful! icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 37

Those cake plates are going to come in handy. They are beautiful.

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 37

I love the stand with the bun feet! What did you use for the tops of the stands? The bow loop dryer stand is great too; looks like it doesn't take up a lot of room. Thanks for sharing!

turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 37

I went to Lowe's looking for something to use and I found these pre-cut wooden circles. Thanks for the nice comments.

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 37

Thanks for the info. I'll have to go look now!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #7 of 37

Great minds think alike, as they say. I made a cake stand last week similar to the middle picture. It worked really well, of course it was only a three tier cake but I would do it all again. That is a great idea for the bow loop dryer I will definitely be doing that. Cause I have no space to dry one. Thanks for the great ideas.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 37

What type of paint would you use to paint these? I would definitly paint 1 black. My opinion only lol

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #9 of 37

very nice work! I love it when we can make things on our own and it's half the price of those store bought stands.
I like your bow dryer so much better than mine. It's inspired me to start bugging my DH to make me this one...;0) hahaha

turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #10 of 37

It cost $40 for the materials to make all 3 of these. There's no way I could have bought them for that. I had to have help drilling the holes for the feet of the stands, but I made the loop dryer by myself. It was really easy as long as you have the right tools. I borrowed these pvc pipes cutters from my FIL. It made it so much easier than when I first tried to use a saw.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:56am
post #11 of 37

I love the cake stands! So cute! You just gave me an idea. Maybe I could use wooden chopping boards icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:15am
post #12 of 37

they are lovely

turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 37

I guess you can just use craft paint. The cake will not be actually touching the stand.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 37

Nice, I like the look of the wood and would leave one natural, just varnished clear, the other probably white though I do like the black idea. Maybe you need to make more in other colors just to satisfy all of us. lol

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 37

I think Lowes and Home Depot are going to get a rush of cakers looking for circles icon_biggrin.gif.

They are beautiful! Great work!

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 37

Great idea for the bow loop dryer!!! I'm going to show it to my husband asap he needs another cake project.icon_lol.gif

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #17 of 37

I think I will give a try on the bow loop dryer. That is a genius creation. Thanks for the idea.

turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #18 of 37

I didn't come up with the idea of the bow loop dryer, I just made one. Another CC member JaimeAnn's husband made one for her. That's where I got the idea from. It was a great idea!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 37

i bought a bow loop dryer , similiar to yours.. from a cake friends husband.. i paid $30.00 for it.. you did a great job , making this yourself..

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #20 of 37

cute idea for the cake stands!! I'll have to give it a try!!

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #21 of 37

You said that the cake wouldn't sit right on these. What do you set them on before you put them on your stands? Cake Board? Wax paper? Doilie?..........Sorry I just don't know

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #22 of 37

oooh i'm so jealous! i love the bow loop dryer. i have been after my dh to make one every since i saw sharon's on her boxes and bows dvd. thanks for sharing!!

turtle3264 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 37

I will use a cake board the same size as the cake. I wouldn't want the cake to touch the paint.

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #24 of 37

You said that the cake wouldn't sit right on these. What do you set them on before you put them on your stands? Cake Board? Wax paper? Doilie?..........Sorry I just don't know

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #25 of 37

I saw Sharon Z's bow loop dryer, too! This would be so easy -no cutting wood! I haven't made bow loops outside of cake class, so what PVC diameter would anyone suggest for an average loop for the top of a cake, 8-10" round? Thanks for posting this!!!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #26 of 37

I think that the loop dryer could double as a dryer for the reusable pastry bags too!

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #27 of 37

I've made the same type stands, just differnt feet. I painted mine with a high gloss enamel paint. I've had to touch-up the paint already, dinged by the cake knife. I use parchment between the plate and the cake.

mlparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlparker Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #28 of 37

These are great ideas! I think we are very resourceful when we need to be. The sky is really the limit with materials for cake stands. I know we have all seen the glass blocks with lights inside. I have seen pieces of glass stacked in beautiful patterns to make a stand as well. Very pretty.
I think that hardware stores are a great place to look "outside the box" for cake stuff.
You could also use even bigger PVC pipe to make a "half moon" shaped dryer rack for thinks like curved leaves or other flower petals. You could make a similar vertical rack that takes up less space instead of using up tons of counter space.
Great new ideas!!

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #29 of 37

Those stands look GREAT!!! I think you need a white one, black one and one just varnished (matte clear seal)!!

turtle3264 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #30 of 37

I decided to paint the bigger cake stand white and stain the smaller one. I used the bigger one yesterday at a wedding. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1349489&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%