Wilton Stand-Up House Pan: Tips?

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm by KlyKat

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 10

I'm using the 3D house pan for the first time for my DD's birthday cake this weekend. It will sit on a 1/2 sheet cake and will be a barn for a barnyard birthday party.

I've never used it before (never stacked a cake before, either) so any tips/tricks for a newbie?

I've got wooden dowels for support (no time to order/find bubble tea straws).

Should I put a center dowel through both cakes or will support dowels be enough?

Also, should I use something like a pound cake for the house for more stability?

TIA!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure which pan you are referring to but........if it's a small sq/rectangle maybe 3"x5"x4" you will not need to dowel that. If you still prefer to use regular drink straws....doesn't have to be bubble tea ones icon_wink.gif
You will not need pound cake.....but can make your cake a bit more firm by adding 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt to the batter.
If you have anymore ?s don't hesitate to post or pm me.

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 10

I have the pan you are talking about and I think your best bet would to be dowells where the cake is going to be sitting on the sheet cake then take a cake separator plate and place it on top and then place the house/barn on top of the plate. This should give you the support you need.

I am also going to be doing the house for the first time in May. I have used the 3-d pooh pan it didn't use the pound cake as it on the box and it worked fine. I just used betty cocker and added a box of pudding and it made it nice and firm.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

I used this pan last year to make the Clifford dog house cake in my pics. I used regular straws as supports, and I did do it through both cakes because I had to take it to my son's school, but if you're not traveling with it you're probably ok. I used pound cake, but I didn't know that I could make my cake more firm by adding sour cream or yogurt (thanks kakeladi icon_biggrin.gif).

Chrisy

Vivalawvegas Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks so much!

Kakeladi, that's the one I'm using.

I'm not transporting it, so I'm going to skip a center dowel.

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!

Vivalawvegas Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much!

Kakeladi, that's the one I'm using.

I'm not transporting it, so I'm going to skip a center dowel.

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 10

I made one of those before and I put some dowels (4 I think) in the bottom cake under where the house was going to be, put the house cake on it's own cardboard board and cut a little off the bottom of the house making it nice and flat and level, put down some icing, stuck it to it's own cardboard and set that on top of the dowels in the cake. Then I took 3 sharpened dowels and stuck them down into the house, one on each side and in the middle. It did need to travel about 40 min. in a non-cake person's car...but it got there perfectly with no damage. Here is a pic in case it's not the same pan you're using.
LL

Vivalawvegas Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 10

Here's the finished product. I had to do a bit of structural engineering the morning after decorating but all in all, it turned out well!
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 10

You did a very nice job on that.
It is not the pan I was thinking oficon_smile.gif The one I refered to is much smaller; it comes in 3 or 4 pieces that you have to put together. It is *very, very!* old icon_smile.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 10

Your cake turned out so cute thumbs_up.gif I love the barn theme cakes. As a matter of fact I just ordered this same pan from Bakers Kitchen this morning and I plan on making a barn theme cake myself.

Glad I found this post!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%