Do You Wear A Chef Coat?

Business By something_sweet Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 4:12am by kellertur

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I only wear a chefs coat for extremely fancy weddings. Other than that I have a HUGE apron collection. My Mom and I make custom handmade retro and vintage style aprons with custom embroidery designs, So I have quite an elaborate selection.. hahah

We are actually in the process of building a catalog and website, and just got our first order for 10 matching aprons for the employees of a local bakery.

These are the ones they ordered

But they are solid light pink with this embroidery

Wonder how their male employess are gonna dig that??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

No but seriously, those are pretty cool. Great for the shop.

However, I would never deliver in one like that--I like the statement of the classic chef coat--less to confuse the mind of the people I encounter.

But those are great aprons--way way cool.
I'm sure ya'll are very proud/happy to have a business together.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #32 of 44

JamieAnn, those aprons are awesome! I love Mexican sugar skulls.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #33 of 44

Wear it when you feel comfortable wearing it. If it helps you feel more professional...you'll come off more professional. If you feel uncomfortable, like everyone is looking at you...then it may make you too nervous to come across as a professional. KWIM? I know when I make deliveries in my jacket, nobody questions me. I totally feel like this is my job (crazy...as it IS my job). When I make deliveries in my normal clothes, I always feel like people are wondering if I'm a relative of the bride...

Anyways, whatever makes you feel comfortable and gives you the confidence you to need to complete your job exactly as your customer is hoping.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #34 of 44

Wear it when you feel comfortable wearing it. If it helps you feel more professional...you'll come off more professional. If you feel uncomfortable, like everyone is looking at you...then it may make you too nervous to come across as a professional. KWIM? I know when I make deliveries in my jacket, nobody questions me. I totally feel like this is my job (crazy...as it IS my job). When I make deliveries in my normal clothes, I always feel like people are wondering if I'm a relative of the bride...

Anyways, whatever makes you feel comfortable and gives you the confidence you to need to complete your job exactly as your customer is hoping.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #35 of 44

Oh Jaime... those rock!! When you get your site up be sure to let us know.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #36 of 44

I wear mine only for tastings right now (it's a really pretty green with my name on it). I bought a chef coat with the advice of my good buddy chef Melissa. icon_biggrin.gif

I wondered if they had lightweight ones for summer ~ it gets hot here in the summer and long sleeves are dreadful. Hopefully the fabrics breathe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #37 of 44

OH if you find lightweight summer ones, let me know! If you think it's hot when you're baking cakes, imagine having both commercial ovens running, a big food warmer, and most of the burners on a gas stove going for over 2 hours.

Sweating in that kind of heat is why I stopped wearing make-up! icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

OH if you find lightweight summer ones, let me know! If you think it's hot when you're baking cakes, imagine having both commercial ovens running, a big food warmer, and most of the burners on a gas stove going for over 2 hours.

I really shouldn't complain living up north... but humidity exists here too. icon_rolleyes.gif I hate wearing makeup in the heat too... although the kind I wear now is lightweight and never runs or sweats off.

Is it acceptable to wear a short-sleeve chef coat, or is that considered not hygenic because of exposed arm hair? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question... I hate wearing long sleeves in the heat.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Ok. Well my problem is that my top is small, but my butt is huge. so any jacket that fits on top, doesn't fit after the waist. Any ideas????

Hire someone to custom make them for you, or wear an apron. I have that same problem. I can't wear long shirts, straight line dresses or pencil skirts for the same reason.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh not me--it's the natural beauty shining through that keeps me from wearing make up, the shine on my nose and the shine from the bald spot* on my head.

But since my eyebrows have disappeared --I know they're around here somewhere--but dude I looked in the rear view mirror today on my way to work and dang if I didn't forget the only stuff I do wear--eyebrow pencil!

So this has happened before and so I stop at Walgreen's on the way and buy a new one instead of going all the way back home (I work 6 miles from my house. Duh, Kate.)

So anyway--they didn't have the cheapo Maybeline ones so I had to spend NINE dollars--geez Louise. Vanity of vanities!!!

But hey you think the carbon credit angels will look favorably on us for the less is more make up dealio?? Think of all the landfills that are free of our dreaded makeup packaging because of our selfless sacrifice--we're good and we didn't know it!!!

Is there sucha thing as going 'green' when it comes to makeup?? So maybe there is and that's not the desired effect???

Think maybe the carbon credit angels could put in a good word with the wrinkle angels or the cellulite cherubs for us? Maybe??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(*just joking, trying to be funny, thank God I don't have a bald spot)

kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:00am
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Is there sucha thing as going 'green' when it comes to makeup?? So maybe there is and that's not the desired effect???

icon_lol.gif
I know you were just kidding... but my makeup is made out of soy and the packaging is biodegradable... icon_smile.gif

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #42 of 44

They made me wear it when I was in pastry school and when I had to work in different kitchens ranging from a grocery store bakery to a classy joint. For me it's more like a uniform. The long sleeves had saved me a few times from getting a burn. I never wear them at home, consultations or delivering my cakes. I would rather dress up comfortably but nicely presentable. Most of the time when I bring the cake to the reception anyway, it is just the waiters that are prepping up the place that are there.

I haven't worn my jacket for years but they are still hanging in the farthest part of my closet. I guess I still keep it for the memories I had with it. On the other note, aprons, I can't live without. Sometimes I go through 2 a day. JaimeAnn, I am wanting those cutesy little aprons!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:05am
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

icon_lol.gif
I know you were just kidding... but my makeup is made out of soy and the packaging is biodegradable... icon_smile.gif

Dude, you're in with the wrinkle angels and cellulite cherubs too!!
You can totally get something going with 'em!!!

kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #44 of 44

I punched the cellulite cherub's lights out, and now they leave me alone... icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%