Well, My Goat Was Officially "got" Today!

Business By CelebrationsbyLori Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 1:05am by cylstrial

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 10

Had a lady come in today asking about some rental stuff for her daughter's wedding. I hooked her up with a price sheet etc. and told her to let me know. She then starts asking about wedding cakes, I asked the date and told her I was already booked for that day (it was a June '09 date). Anyway, she insists that I give her a price for a 3 tiered cake and then tells me how she has ordered the wedding cake from a bakery 50 miles from here and they charged $xxx and the delivery, etc. I smiled and said that sounded great. Then she asks if I have ever tasted fondant. Huh? Of course I said yes, I work with fondant quite often and use the Satin Ice brand which has a nice mild vanilla flavor, blah, blah, blah. She says the place she ordered her daughter's cake from said that they would never put fondant on a cake because it was so terrible tasting and couldn't believe that anyone would allow it on a cake! I tried to explain that there were a lot of different kinds and brands of fondant, but she I guess was just letting me know that I was out of the loop because I used something that was so nasty on my cakes. I'm still shaking my head... just had to share. Some people's kids!
Lori

9 replies
sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 10

Lol! People are soo odd!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 10

lol

Sunshyne_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshyne_gal Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #4 of 10

I always heard horror stories about fondant and due to hearsay, I never tired it.......UNTIL I made it myself out of boredom. Turned out everyone was wrong (unless they had the joy of eating that Wilton fondant, blech!). You should've told her it's asinine to repeat the opinions of others when you have none of your own.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #5 of 10

So the only reason she came in was to compare your prices/products to the bakery she had already booked?

I would have told her I had to use my time focusing on my CUSTOMERS and since she had apparently already booked everything through another baker, perhaps she should direct her questions to them.

(Sounds like a "spy" sent by the bakery she claims to have booked.)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

(Sounds like a "spy" sent by the bakery she claims to have booked.)

EX-actly
You just got "market-researched."

derrcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derrcake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 10

I've been lurking cc for a couple of weeks now, only posted one other post. And the more I read, the more questions I have, both about business aspects of baking and decorating itself. So I hope y'all won't mind my many future questions.
But for now, I've been thinking about the market research scenario. Although I might feel duped or upset at first, in reality, they must recognize your strength in the business and/or potential to feel they must check you out. If they weren't intimidated or threatened, they wouldn't feel the need to check you out, imo.

Derrick

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 10

Personally, I would have no problem with another baker coming to me, face to face, and asking me questions. I went to another local baker that I heard had just recently went into biz and asked her what she charges. I did it to make sure that I wasn't undercutting her. As a result, I felt justified in RAISING my prices.

I would, however, resent what I feel was the duplicitous nature of what the woman did in the OP.

ETA: Welcome to CC, Derrik. icon_biggrin.gif

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 10

I did also contact a local baker, but I let her know that Iwas opening my own bus. and I asked jer a bunch of questions and we talked for about an hour. I dont think I would of felt good about lieing! I cant understand why she would want your price if she already booked w/ someone else.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #10 of 10

I'm with LeahS. Either that, or the lady is INCREDIBLY dumb!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%