What Is The Best Thickness For Rolling Out Sugar Cookies?

Baking By jpmama Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm by GeminiRJ

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 14

I seem to have problems w/ cookies being too thin and getting brown in some spots. I would love to know what you guys think is the perfect thickness for a decorated cookie.

13 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #2 of 14

I roll them to 1/4 inch using those strips of wood (can't remember what they are called) to get them all evenly sized

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #3 of 14

I roll my cookies 1/4" thick. I use wooden square dowels to roll out my cookie dough to get the right thickness.

When I'm making a cookie bouquet, I use the 3/8" dowels.

I picked up the square dowels at Michaels. I bought a long one and had my husband cut it in half.

Hope this helps. icon_razz.gif

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 14

1/4 inch using dowels is pretty much a safe bet!
Let us know if it works for you!! icon_smile.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 14

I just buy yardstick rulers from the hardware store and cut them in half for a set. They seem to be the perfect thickness and are very inexspensive! The plastic ones even go in the wishwasher.

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 14

Thanks so much for your replies. Dumb question... where do you get the wooden dowels? Thanks so much!

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:03am
post #7 of 14

hardware store in the wood section (make sure the cookie dough doesn't touch the wood - cover the dowel in plastic wrap)

i bought some at my local craft store - it was in the section for flower arranging (near the foam blocks, fake flowers, ribbons, etc)

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 14

Same with me; 1/4 inch thick. I use the spacers on the ends of my rolling pin to help out with uniformity.

If your cookie cutter has some delicate or skinnier tips/edges... Say for example the spout of a teapot, those sections do tend to brown quite quickly, so I tend not to bake my cookies too long. Just enough so that they're done (the center of the cookie no longer looks wet on the top), that way the skinnier edges might be a little golden, but not too much.

Good luck!
Marian

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #9 of 14

I roll out my cookies 1/4" also. I use the free paint stirrer sticks from Home Depot or Lowes and wrap them in plastic wrap. If they are going to be on sticks, roll them 3/8" thick. I've tried the rolling pin spacers, but I'm a giant goofball with them dunce.gif I can't seem to get it to work icon_confused.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #10 of 14

WalMart also carries dowels in their craft section, though they are the round ones. They work very well, especially since one dowel was less than 50 cents! I like them better than the rubber rings you slide onto your rolling pin. The best piece of cookie "equipment" I bought was a Dobord. Perfect thickness every time, it's adjustable, and it gives me a great work surface.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 14

all depends on the occassion -
yes, 1/4 is sturdy
3/8 for cookies on stick - very thick to my tastes
My favorite is actually 1/8, believe or not - just enough sweetness for me - a bit delicate and dainty, too - better for grown-up parties
icon_smile.gif

maam1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maam1993 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 14

GeminiRJ - what is a Dobord and where did you purchase it?

Maam1993

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 14

I bought a dobord about a month ago and all I want to do it make cookies now- it is so easy!!!

http://www.kitchenfriendly.com/

I got mine from armchair world- the link is on the bottom of the dobard site

oh and I make mine 1/4"

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maam1993

GeminiRJ - what is a Dobord and where did you purchase it?

Maam1993

I purchased mine from Cake 'N Crumbs (on-line), and after shipping costs it came to $71.03. It took about one week to show up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%