$2.00 A Serving?

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 10:08am by FromScratch

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

is two dollers a serving a reasonable price for a cake. say someone wanted a cake for 25 people times that by 2 and you get $50...

how do some of you price your cakes? im very new at this whole selling cake thing. usually i just make cakes for friends and family. now my friends and family are blabbing to their friends and family how great i am so now i have to start charging for all sorts of cakes. i hate this... lol ijust want to make them i dont want to sell them. any suggestions would be AWESOME!

please and thanks you! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

I think that price depends on many factors. I'm new to charging for cakes too, but here are a few things to take into consideration: your location-a cake I make here in the midwest is going to cost less than in the northeast, so my prices might not work for you; cost of materials, type of decor-is it a straight forward sheet cake with BC and basic decorations or is it dark chocolate fondant with gumpaste flowers-you can't possibly charge the same for these two cakes just because they have the same servings; and amount of time-which kind of relates back to type of decor . You don't want to shortchange yourself, but you also don't want to overcharge. Call around or go into a few different kinds of bakeries and get a feel for how they charge. This can be a huge help. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:41am
post #3 of 5

if you dont want to sell them, why dont you just say 'no'? if you dont feel comfortable just saying no, explain you cant legally sell them since (im assuming, sorry if im wrong) your not a legal business.

$2 sounds very cheap, maybe ok for BC only depending on ur area. just sit and figure out your costs of ingredients, things like electricity, and figure out out a price for your time. then with that price, does that seem like a fair price to you?
xx

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:21am
post #4 of 5

I might charge $2 a serving for a simple 8" layer cake or a relatively plain 1/4 sheet. But, $2 a slice is on the cheap side, even for me in a state where one out of 10 is unemployed.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:08am
post #5 of 5

I think it's too low, but that's me. You want to avoid pulling a number out of the air and hope it covers your costs and allows for decent profit. When figuring out your pricing you should sit down and figure out exactly what it costs you to make your cakes. Make a simple excel spreadsheet and tally it up. You'll be surprised at what your costs are. Factor in everything... time it takes to clean your house to get ready to bake... time it takes to shop for ingredients... gas to get to and from the store... time it takes to prep and bake... time it takes to torte and fill... time it takes to ice and decorate... time it takes to clean up after it's all done. It adds up. Find out how much it costs you in ingredients and think about how much you want to be compensated for your time invested in the process. It's about so much more than just ingredients. You are providing a service... you are baking and decorating a cake for someone who doesn't want to or doesn't know how. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%