My First Stacked Cake.

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm by tastyart

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 14

Okay so I have to see what you think, this was my first attempt at doing a stacked cake. I get that this needs lots of help so any comments are apreciated. I am practicing so I can do my sisters cake in june. Needed to add that ran into lots of trouble with this batch of bc

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1339476.html

13 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 14

Your flowers are fantastic! Now before I go further let me say that I am pretty new myself and have done only one stacked cake myself. So take what I say with a box of salt as I am not speaking from years of experience. You are asking for advice so I am telling you what I have learned on here.

The thing that I see that could be a problem is that bottom layer appears to be bulging a bit. If you used a filling between the layers, make sure you don't overfill your buttercream dam. If you didn't make a buttercream dam (a stripe of bc straight from the coupler around the edge), you might consider that. A lot of people let the layers settle for a few hours before icing them or moving them to stack. Lastly, make sure that you have a good support system in place before stacking. If the weight is not supported properly, it will crush the cakes beneath. I see you used sps so that is probably not the problem.

Your cake is still pretty darn good so pat yourself on the back!!!!

And now that I have responded, maybe some others with much more wisdom than me can give you some tips.

Good luck! Be sure to post that cake in June!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 14

If you can get sugarshack's DVD's. They will really help a lot. They go step-by-step on how to smooth your buttercream. They really help with all the steps. It is worth the investment. Great start! Good luck!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 14

Hello. I've only done 3 stacked cakes but I think that some sort of internal support is necessary. You can use wooden or plastic dowel rods or sturdy straws, cut to the height of the lower tier. How many rods to use depends on how big the top cake is. The bigger the cake...the more support it will need to keep the top cake from sinking into and distorting the bottom cake. Just remember to tell your sister that there is are foreign objects in the cake that needs to be removed before serving. icon_eek.gif My teacher for Wilton III stated that you could take a longer dowel rod, sharpen it and insert it down both stacks for stabilization of the whole cake. You could also spread some royal or buttercream icing under the cake round of the top tier before placing on the bottom tier to keep it from sliding around.

I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Darlita

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 14

u did a great job for your 1st attempt. There will always be issues with buldging. Just don't overdo the filling. Also make sure your layers are perfectly flat!!! before you fill.

Great job, you will get better with time

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:59am
post #6 of 14

So was the cake to bad to have charged $20.00 for it. The bulging didn't happen until the people almost dropped it placing it on a stand they wanted to use. Yikes, I almost screamed. I didn't have time to let the cakes settle before icing/delivery on this one. Last minute call and thought I'd give it a shot on stacking, I did however discover that my 4" tall cakes were harder to do than what I thought, cause I only have the 2" pans so the sps didn't go all the way down but that could have just been me. I couldn't figure out how to get my hand under the tier to place it just right. Have to watch turitoral again.

Thanks for the nice comments and for taking time out to help me. CC is an amazing place for us newbies.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:24am
post #7 of 14

That is the hard part for me. How to set the cake on top of the other layers without messing up the layer you are sitting it on, much less the layer you are putting it on. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Did that come out right????? icon_rolleyes.gif

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 14

i barely got it on and then had 2 figure out how 2 push it down, but i did the main part wrong. practice, i will again soon.

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 14

You did great for your first stacked cake! I've only done a couple myself, so I don't have any fabulous advice that hasn't been offered. Just wanted to give you another pat on the back. thumbs_up.gif And no, you did nothing wrong with charging $20 - I think that is more than fair!

I would like to ask, since it is relevant to this post, I was taught you have to have cake boards underneath each tier when stacking. However, when I look at some of the stacked cakes online, you can't tell at all - and sometimes it's not even that the borders are covering it up. Is there a secret or do you not always have to use the cake boards?

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

So was the cake to bad to have charged $20.00 for it. .

Definitely not! You've got more than $20 just in the ingredients & the SPS, not to mention the time it took you do it all. You should have charged way more for that. thumbs_up.gif

butterfly831915 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 14

That is where I messed up, the only store in town that has the cake boards in town had recently had a fire so they were not available, I think that would have made it a whole lot easer when trying to stack and such. Instead I was so shakey from being afraid of dropping a tier or so that I didn't think of how I was going to get it pushed down into the bottom and second tiers. Next time should be easier as I have the boards on order from online. Also finally got my cake drums in right after I finished this one. It made me so mad that I didn't have one for this cake, I was afraid so I used my sps plate under the bottom tier. Had to compromise.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 14

Amandafrost,
You do need to have the boards between layers for support. There is a technique to stacking a cake without borders. The boards are still there, just cleverly covered. SugarShack has DVD's that give detailed instructions. They are a great teaching tool.

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you TastyArt! I will have to check those out.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 14

If the site will let me, here is a link to her Successful Stacking DVD

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Successful_Stacking_DVD.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%