Do You Use Real Butter In Your Cakes?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 5:54am by melhoneybee

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 17

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if you use real butter in the cakes or something like Blue Bonnett? If you used both, could you really tell the difference? I'm just wondering. I just started making cakes when I found cc, and since just assumed that in cake recipes, I'm supposed to use real butter. However, I normally bake a lot of cookies, bars, brownies, pastries, and such and started using real butter in those recipes as well. I did not see that much difference in most of them, few seemed to taste better, but one, the last one I made this last weekend, just absolutely flopped. So, this made me wonder: does reall butter makes a difference in a cake recipe? Thought asking the experts will be the best. Thanks you all for input.
Pebbles : )

16 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 17

I bake from scratch, about 75% of my recipes call for butter the rest oil or shortening.

I always use real butter when it's called for in a recipe whether it's cakes, cookies, muffins, or bread. I notice a difference in the flavor, texture and overall finished product. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 17

Yes. Always. icon_smile.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 17

All my cakes and cookies are baked from scratch and I only use real butter. I love the taste (plus, most margarines in the UK don't have a high enough fat content and the cakes just don't work!!)

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 17

I almost always use butter. I can tell the difference between the textures in using oil and shortening. I think the carrot cake and red velvet icings are the only ones I don't use butter with.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I bake from scratch, about 75% of my recipes call for butter the rest oil or shortening.

I always use real butter when it's called for in a recipe whether it's cakes, cookies, muffins, or bread. I notice a difference in the flavor, texture and overall finished product. icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 17

I find my scratch cakes made with butter to be way to moist and soft to decorate neatly. What am I doing wrong?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 17

I too always use real butter, unsalted, sweet butter, not salted when a recipe calls for butter. I can taste the difference. If there is a problem with the cake, it is probably the recipe and not the butter

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 17

I always use butter.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 17

Butter all the way, from the cakes to the buttercream frosting.

The ONLY exception is 2 or 3 recipes that I use canola oil in.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #11 of 17

Always unsalted real butter. It gives great flavor & texture. Also, unless the recipe was designed for margarine, they some times don't bake right. I do have a banana recipe that uses oil, but even added butter & it gave it a great cake texture.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #12 of 17

Always unsalted real butter. It gives great flavor & texture. Also, unless the recipe was designed for margarine, they some times don't bake right. I do have a banana recipe that uses oil, but even added butter & it gave it a great cake texture.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #13 of 17

I grew up on margarine, being told it was better for you. One day I compared the fat grams, calories, etc. and since then have been buying butter not only for cakes and icings, but instead of margarine for everything. Margarine has been banned from my home. I usually use salted butter in my icing because the salt helps cut down on the sweetness and bring out the flavor of the icing. In cakes, the recipe usually indicates which to use. Some say unsalted + some salt or use unsalted and add no additional salt.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #14 of 17

Thanks you all for input. That's what I thought! Thanks again, P

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #15 of 17

i only use real butter if the recipe calls for butter, unless like carrot cake / red velvet where my recipes use oil, so i will use oil.

i don't have a recipe that calls for shortening in the cake yet. i've seen a few, but at the moment, still reluctant to try them or keep them in my recipe box.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #16 of 17

I use either butter or vegetable oil. Margarine is not allowed in my house. I don't eat fake food.

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #17 of 17

Butters better! Only butter in everything here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%