Silicone Bakeware: Yeah, Not A Fan!

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:14am by Karema

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 23

I don't get it. I had cheapy metal ones that worked just as well TBH and I didn't have to bake one cake at a time because I didn't have a second cookie sheet on which to place them so I can move them in and out of the oven at the same time. They annoy me and I wish I could return them for regular ones icon_sad.gif

That is all.

22 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 23

You know, I don't really know anyone personally who is a fan of silicone bakeware. I remember thinking it would be great because it would be easy to store. I bought like one pan and it just didn't seem to work as well. I havn't used it since but I would love to know if anyone else has had any luck with it. It has been almost ten years since I used a silicone pan.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 23

I didn't have much luck with them either. When they first came out years ago, my DH bought me a bunch. Had no luck with any of them. I even showed DH the difficulty I was experiencing, because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He understood and all were returned.

They still make them, so someone must be happy with them. icon_rolleyes.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

They still make them, so someone must be happy with them. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah...cakemuggles icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 23

The only silicone pan that i have ever liked was one from Pampered chef. It was round with a bunch of little flower shaped cavities in it. The only reason that I could use it was because they were smart and put a metal ring inside the silicone at the top, so you didn't have to use a cookie sheet under it...although i did find that using Pam for baking did not work, but regular Pam did.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 23

I think they keep making them because people are seduced by the nice colours and cool designs. But soon everyone in the land must own a silicone pan they hate and the market will be dead! Hahahahah, market economy - don't you love it!

I bought a very cool looking Lego silicone pan, it baked so badly it was tragic. Every one of the little knobbly bits on top of the Lego came off each cake, so all I was left with was a lame little rectangle - totally pointless. It is only good for making Jello in it.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #7 of 23

Hate, hate, hate 'em.....except for when I make pineapple upside-down cake. That's the one cake that's better suited to them.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #8 of 23

I don't bake with them but they are great to make candy! Fudge, caramel, marshmallows, and the like are great. I have a small snowflake that I make marshmallows in and use for cocoa. Love it, bake with it, not for a million!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 23

I think food baked in the silicone has an odd, plastic-y flavor....even if you can get it to turn out. I do use several silicone molds for other things though.......ice cubes, molding chocolate, molding butter, molding soap. Anything that you don't actually bake seems to work great in them. And I absolutely love my square silicone ice cube trays. I will never have a traditional ice cube tray again!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #10 of 23

I have some silicone muffin pans and I HATE them.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #11 of 23

Ditto! I used them to make muffins and they had an odd gooey feel to the edges. My DH surprised me with them and they just sit in the pantry. Not a fan.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 23

My husband and I just discussed this as mine were being moved to the garage sale/salvation army pile. I had to explain that sometimes I make mistakes. They suck. And that's that. I hate them.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #13 of 23

lol..I always wondered about them!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 23

I read somewhere that scillicon bakeware won't give you a nice crust - so why they make silicon loaf pans is beyond me. I bought a silicon angel food pan, thinking it would be awesome, nope! It works just well enough to convince me not to buy a new metal one, but I would never buy another silicon pan again. They are impossible to get cakes out of. Or cookies or brownies

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 23

I am not a fan of those pans either! I have tried using them a couple of times and just could not get them to release the cake easily at all. They sit in the cupboard. I need to have a yard sale, soon. icon_smile.gif

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #16 of 23

isabow2, you crack me up!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

I love the idea of using some of them for candy, though.

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #17 of 23

OMG you mean it's NOT JUST ME!!!!! I thought I was missing something but I can NEVER get the cake out of the pan in one piece EVER! Thank goodness it's not just me! phew

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #18 of 23

My DH bought me a bunch of them, too, when they first came out. I thought they baked everything fine, but then something strange started happening.

I washed and dried them and put them in the cupboard. The next time I'd go to use them, they'd have weird little sticky spots all over them. I called the company hotline, and they said that it was "normal."

It didn't seem normal to me -- I wondered what kind of yucky chemical stuff was oozing out of my pans. So, yeah, I'm not a big fan, either.

Oh, and the loaf pan bows out on the sides when you fill it with banana bread batter, so the loaf is real-l-l-y misshapen!! My friends teased me about it when I took it to our church bakesale.

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #19 of 23

I'm glad to hear about these, I've wondered about them for a couple of years, ever since I was working for a company that cleaned fire damages and I'd be cleaning the kitchen. My partner and I always had the discussion wondering if they were really all that great or not. Happy I didn't buy any now!! icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #20 of 23

Bummer JGMB! I've got some banana bread in the oven right now (baking for round seven - http://www.bakinggals.com/) and when I was filling the pan, I was thinking "Gosh. This sturdy metal pan is so nice. What wonderful crisp corners I have!" No joke. Because I think we've all seen the mishapen breads that silicon pans yeild. Oh well, Tasty! icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #21 of 23

They're awesome for molding ice cream, frozen mousses, semifreddo, and other frozen desserts. I have some Very small cavity professional grade ones I use for financiers and other petits four, but overall I don't like them for baking.

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #22 of 23

I have to agree with giraffe11. I don't use my pans anymore because everything has a funky taste when I bake in them. They have their own little corner in the cabinet and haven't seen the light of day for a long time.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #23 of 23

I was all interested in silicone when I first started baking. I brought the silicone cookie sheet liners. I thought that I would save money instead of using parchment paper. I hate those things. I went back to parchment paper so fast. I dont know where those liners are now. Oh well. I'm glad its not just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%