How Can Anybody Be So Dumb ... Twice!!!

Decorating By majka_ze Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 12:48am by solascakes

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am a scratch baker.
I already mentioned in another thread that I don't have a single ingredient in original package. My sugar, salt and some others are in empty, washed out instant coffee glasses.
Think what? When I last refiled salt, I gave it in a 1/4 full glass of - sugar. As you can see, I am a bit thrifty. OK, let say it aloud, I am cheap. icon_redface.gif
I scraped the salt where it was salt alone and instead of throwing the rest away /where it was half salt and half sugar/, I thought I leave it for salad dressing. There come both, aren't they?
Last time I baked sponge cake, I noticed that I grabbed this can in the very last moment. Just before the salted sugar went into the bowl with eggs. But I didn't get it then.
Yesterday, I baked cake for my family. Nothing big, simple kitchen cake. Guess what? This time instead of sugar went into the mix 3/4 cup of salt. icon_mad.gif
Luckily, I noticed it before setting it in the oven. At least the vice of licking the bowl brought something good. The batter was very quietly thrown away and I started again. Well, this time it got across. By tempting the fate for the third time I would surely serve somebody very tasty cake!

7 replies
MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

Oh no... maybe all you need is a set of labels for your jars. That way you know exactly what you are getting. HTH

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 8

LOL - that's funny. I did something similar - my salt s kept in an unlabelled container in one cupboard while the sugar is kept in an old baking powder container. I made sweetened whipped cream to top some berries and decided to be good and not do a taste test. My kids got really turned off by the salted cream and refused it for the next few months!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

Well, the problem is that the container IS labeled! It clearly states SUGAR. There is even one labeled "SALT". What does it make me? Please give me the right word here icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka_ze

Well, the problem is that the container IS labeled! It clearly states SUGAR. There is even one labeled "SALT". What does it make me? Please give me the right word here icon_smile.gif

I think the right word is "human" . . . icon_wink.gif If you had a few hours to waste, I could tell you all of the baking/cooking mistakes in my past!! icon_redface.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 8

I've done the salt in Kool Aid........Ugh too... Thank goodness it wasn't icing or whip cream like others have stated but none the less you feel STUPID.....(we were camping and mine was not labled).

I don't know majka_ze. I think it makes you human like the rest of us......and maybe too many things on our mines at one time.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 8

now that's a cute story to start my morning! LOL.

i, too, store my sugar & salt in unlabeled containers once i got them back from groceries. however, my sugar is in a different cabinet (where i keep all my coffees, teas, malts, etc), while salt is in another. so, not that easy to accidentally pour salt into the sugar container.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #8 of 8

Labels will save the day

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%