Nobody Does Buttercream Anymore

Decorating By laurabeth595 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm by tonedna

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #61 of 67

Buttercream only for me. 20 years and over 2100 cakes, all buttercream. (Most are on my website, none on CC) I keep asking my clients if they want fondant and they all have said "No, thank you, I like your buttercream." So I will keep on keeping on. As my mother used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #62 of 67

Not all buttercreams will smooth well..specially if you have air bubbles on the mix, that will give you a hard time to make a smooth cake.

The key in having a smooth finish is in starting with perfect buttercream.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CAKEtankerous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEtankerous Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #63 of 67

[/quote]Yes, take the course. Add'l training and education is never a waste of time. If you choose never to work in fondant, at least you make the choice as an informed decision of having actually worked with the fondant.[/quote]

Thanks ID you are right. It won't hurt to learn the basics of it because you never know. It never hurts to experience something new whether it's used or not.

CAKEtankerous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEtankerous Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #64 of 67

So my next question to everyone, which BC recipe should I use to get it to look smooth like fondant. And does how long mixing it have anything to do with it?

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #65 of 67

I work mostly in buttercream because most of my customers don't want to pay for fondant. I can get my bc almost as smooth as fondant and the customer can't tell the difference, so why should they pay the extra for the fondant? I DO like to do some accessories in fondant because I can do certain things (bows, diapers, little modeled figures) in fondant much better than they come out in buttercream.

I would love to see a Food Network cake challenge where they couldn't use fondant!!! That would be fun!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

II would love to see a Food Network cake challenge where they couldn't use fondant!!! That would be fun!

It would be priceless to see the reactions of the competing decorators if they were told they couldn't use fondant. It'll never happen, but it would make for a good April Fool's joke just to see their faces!

Count me as a BC only decorator. I only have a handful of cakes in my photos, as I've gotten obsessed with cookies, but every single cake is done 100% in BC. I love to pipe, and my most recent cake (the purple cake with the pansies) is an example of how I like to decorate.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I would love to see a Food Network cake challenge where they couldn't use fondant!!! That would be fun!

icon_twisted.gif Bring it on!... That's a challenge I like!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%