Transporting And Refrigerating, For A Long Distance

Decorating By thecakemancan Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 6:46am by Chef_Stef

thecakemancan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemancan Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 2

Well, I am doing a 2- tier wedding cake for a friend, who lives roughly an hour and a half away. The filling has stabilized whipped cream in it and the BC has butter as well.

Having taken basic sanitation at the local college, I feel that the cake, having dairy products in it, should be refrigerated for the majority of the time, including the car trip over there.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the cake cool and stay together.

The cake is not covered in fondant, has pillar construction, and a spread of fondant flowers down the side of each tier.

Also, the top tier is on the wilton pillar construction plate, with the 4 cross-hatches to fit in the pillars on the underside of the plate. Don't know if that helps.

My main issue is the perishables and possible melting and shifting in transport.

I also plan on assembling it there, so I don't need any advice on that, but thanks anyway.

Attached is a picture of the cake itself

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
LL

1 reply
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #2 of 2

Put the two tiers in the fridge overnight and right up until delivery. Cool the car down as much as you can before you leave, box them up, and go. If it's really sunny, you could shade the boxes in the car and/or put cooler ice packs on top of the boxes, but I don't usually bother with them. I've delivered mousse-filled cakes that far away and had no trouble. Just make sure to stabilize the whipped cream filling and use an icing dam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%