Need Some Help With Buttercream Night Sky Please!

Decorating By jgrob3 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm by Ballymena

jgrob3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgrob3 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone! I am new to cake decorating. I have always made special cakes for my kids birthdays. Well, Sunday is my son's 5th. I am doing a batman themed cake this year. Very similiar to this cake here (which is wonderful!) http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1330396.html

I can't stand the flavor of buttercream with the Wilton Gels. especially what I would need to achieve this color. I haven't had a chance to try the Americolors that I have seen so many mention on here before. I did purchase the Wilton color mist this week. I tried it last night but am unsure if it will cover the cake well enough to get the night sky right.
It could be the lighting. but I didn't think the cake I linked was done with die in the icing. It looks more sprayed or brushed????

Any other suggestions for me? I am just starting with fondant so I don't feel ready enough to cover the whole cake with it. I did use fondant though to make the buildings.

TIA!
Amanda

1 reply
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 2

If that cake didn't have the icing colored it was probably air brushed. I doubt the aerosol color will get you that shade. I have used it and it isn't as intense as you are looking for. You may have to color the icing unless someone else has a better idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%