Two Questions: Mff Mixed By Hand And Where To Buy Glycerin?

Decorating By jennafezz Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm by jennafezz

jennafezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennafezz Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

After reading the updated Michele Foster fondant recipe, I've decided to try and make it (have only made MMF so far), but I don't have a dough hook for my mixer. Does it still work well to mix her fondant by hand?

Also, where can I buy glycerin, besides the tiny Wilton bottles at Michael's?

http://www.soapcrafters.com/node/119 - is the glycerin used in soap making the same as the kind used in fondant?

Thanks!

5 replies
SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 6

It will be sticky and quite a workout, but I think you could pull it together by hand.

Glycerin can also be purchased at any pharmacy.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

I researched glycerine online to be absolutely sure, and anything available to the general public is the same across the board, no matter what you use it for. I guess there is another kind, but you have to have a license to buy it. I get glycerin at wal mart! It's like 4 bucks for 8 ounces. It's on the aisle that has the neosporin. I mix Michele Foster fondant by hand all the time. I have a dough hook but I'm too lazy to use it. I mix it in a huge stainless steel bowl, then knead in whatever more sugar I need. It's really not that hard to do. HTH

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

Any and or most cake decorating shops have them. I've never tried glycerin in my fondant of course I only use mmf. I should try her's I might like it.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennafezz

Hello,

After reading the updated Michele Foster fondant recipe, I've decided to try and make it (have only made MMF so far), but I don't have a dough hook for my mixer. Does it still work well to mix her fondant by hand?

Also, where can I buy glycerin, besides the tiny Wilton bottles at Michael's?

http://www.soapcrafters.com/node/119 - is the glycerin used in soap making the same as the kind used in fondant?

Thanks!

Is the updated Michelle Fondant recipe on CC? I use the original and love it!

jennafezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennafezz Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6

It is -- I think it was posted today. Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to check WalMart today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%