Best Vanilla?

Decorating By elipsis Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm by cb_one

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #31 of 55

JulyMama welcome to CC! Sorry I haven't had much computer time here. I've been brewing my own Vanilla for awhile,,,, I got my Madagascar Vanilla pods off ebay for about $4-$8 a package. I put about 5-6 vanilla long pods in a clean, wide-mouth mason jar, added a little bit of Pure vanilla extract (not imitation, and frankly not a whole lot either!). Screwed the new lid on nice and tight, stuck it in a brown paper bag, layed it on it's side in case it developed an air pocked or icon_rolleyes.gif what-have-you.

And then promptly forgot about it! icon_smile.gif

I didn't have time to mess with it. I didn't have time to add a bean or two because I used up the other 1/2 of the beans in another jar, added more of super cheap rotgut Vodka to it. Did the same thing. Stuck it in a brown paper bag. Locked it up. Dark cabinet. Forgot about it.

Then man o man---popped up the lid on it and WHEW did it ever smell soooo wonderful!! icon_biggrin.gif made Tobba Garrett's Scratch Vanilla Cake with 2 Tablespoons of yummyness. Oh the smell of Vanilla baking in the oven was heavenly. icon_smile.gif I mean really, we need an emoticon going "aaaaaaahhhhh" or something because it's like I'm in love with this Vanilla already! Image

I've used it in cookies, Vanilla SMBC, regular BC, and added some to my hot chocolate. thumbs_up.gif

I checked with my supplier and they will have this year's fresh vanilla beans ready in about a week. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #32 of 55

I was just gonna ask about other extracts & if the concept worked the same way. I am so gonna do all the extracts. Thanks herboudior. Thanks everyone, cause I so needed a cheaper way to get get quality extract. Paying $3.69 for 2 ozs. of Watkins vanilla extract is just crazy!

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:48am
post #33 of 55

Ok sooo this may very well be a silly question.....What about the alcohol content. Does the smell come with it?
icon_rolleyes.gif

NuttyNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuttyNanny Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:28am
post #34 of 55

HerBoudoir....thanks so much for the info on making your own vanilla. Can't wait to try it...sounds yummy. I'm also gonna be adventurous and try making the lime, lemon and orange extracts. YIPPEEE! BTW....love your avatar!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:07pm
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipsis

Ok sooo this may very well be a silly question.....What about the alcohol content. Does the smell come with it?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Commercial vanilla extract has about a 35% alcohol content, and vodka has about a 40% alcohol content, so you're not really getting much more in home brewed, especially when you're using a teaspoon or so at a time.

As far as the alcohol smell, the vanilla is so strong that it does overpower any alcohol aroma/taste with time - by the time it's strong enough to use, vanilla is all you will smell/taste.

You can actually use other strong spirits to make extract like rum, bourbon, etc. - anything that's in the 80 proof range (so a liquor like amaretto won't work). I have a jar of vanilla rum extract that I put together for a friend who makes Jamaican rum cakes every holidays to see if you got some of the rum flavor/smell - nope, not really. Vodka is ideal though because it has the least distinct flavor and you can get the rotgut very cheap - usually around $6 - $8 for a 750 ml bottle (or about 5 years worth of vanilla for most of us).

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

JulyMama welcome to CC!

Thanks! I love it here there is so much info!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #37 of 55

What about starting off with that vanilla vodka you can get nowadays. Would that make it better, or is that just dumb?

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #38 of 55

Vanilla vodka is clear if I'm not mistaken so it would be artificially flavored. Just buy plain vodka.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

Vanilla vodka is clear if I'm not mistaken so it would be artificially flavored. Just buy plain vodka.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but thought I'd ask anyway. Regular vodka it is then! thumbs_up.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #40 of 55

Thanks for all the info--man that homemade vanilla sounds awesome!! I'm definitely going to give it a try once I've used up the vanilla I have. Too bad I just bought a gallon of Watkins--at least it was fairly cheap(around $50).

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #41 of 55

I think the vodka in the liquor store is about $6 bucks for one of the tall bottles. (quart?) and about $4 for the little one. The beans on ebay are so cheap and they are really great quality.

I used pure vanilla extract to use as a start. But like I said, not very much. I really didn't want to use it at all. And frankly you don't *have* to...it's just that it *starts the process quicker* and so if you're like me...have a tendancy to forget about it...then it really is quite nice to decant the stuff after several months.

edited to add: HerBoudier, your avatar cracks me up! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

JulyMama welcome to CC!

Thanks! I love it here there is so much info!

Your very welcome. You may wish to check these threads out regarding policies, etc., that Jackie & Heath (owners of this site) have put out for newbies. They are a wealth of info: Image

Acronyms
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Comments on cakes before posting:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-423993-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Posting in Forums:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-11644-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Monstrous cupcake thread: (a fun thread to read)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-582525-0-days0-orderasc-central.html

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

la vencadora mexican vanilla

I have a huge bottle of this that a friend brought me from Mexico a few years ago, thankfully vanilla doesn't expire. However, once this is gone do you know how to get it here in the US?

DyMakesCake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #44 of 55

Sorry, double post

HerBoudoir Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #45 of 55

Before you buy vanilla from Mexico, make sure you read this warning regarding Mexican vanilla and coumarin, a toxic substance, from the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/mexicanvanilla102908.html

Remember that food safety regulations in other countries ARE NOT nearly as rigid as those in the US.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #46 of 55

Silver Cloud Estates makes the best Vanilla Bean Paste, but for the past 3 yrs i've been making my own. Very easy just takes time.

I usually buy my vanilla on eBay. Very cheap and I use Tahitian & Madagascar together and it makes a complex extract thats like no other.

DyMakesCake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Before you buy vanilla from Mexico, make sure you read this warning regarding Mexican vanilla and coumarin, a toxic substance, from the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/mexicanvanilla102908.html

Remember that food safety regulations in other countries ARE NOT nearly as rigid as those in the US.

I am pretty sure what I have is real vanilla and does not contain coumarin but I will look at the label more closely when I get home.

Thanks for bringing this up!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #48 of 55

can someone tell us where you get your vanilla beans on ebay? and what is a good price? I found $5.98 for six 7-7.5 inches beans. Is that a good price? I have no idea.

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #49 of 55

I love Penzey's Double Strength...I use the amount called for in the recipe, and I never halve it !

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #50 of 55

OK - I got my vanilla beans from ebay today and I have 6 small jars brewing!! I even have a few beans leftover that I am going to use for other stuff. I will let you know how it ends up.

HerBoudoir Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

can someone tell us where you get your vanilla beans on ebay? and what is a good price? I found $5.98 for six 7-7.5 inches beans. Is that a good price? I have no idea.

I bought mine from Vanilla Products USA and was quite happy with them. I've also heard good things about the Organic Vanilla Co.

I paid about $13 or $14 for a 1/2 lb of Madagascars. They weren't the top quality beans but they were just fine for me.

cb_one Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #52 of 55

I've bought from Organic Vanilla and Vanilla Products, (twice).
I usually buy their sampler. $9 for 30 beans + you get a 1/4lb of Tahitian for free.
In the sampler you get..
10 Tahitian
10 Madagascar Bourbon Grade A
10 Extract grade

They are out of PA so it usually takes 2 days since i'm so close.

GI Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_one

I've bought from Organic Vanilla and Vanilla Products, (twice).

Can you PM me their info? Or put it here. I checked on line and it pulled up too many. This sounds like an excellent buy. icon_smile.gif

cb_one Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #55 of 55

Someone posted their recipe, and I do have a slight variation.
Give my bottles a good shake every day for the first week, then once a week for 3 months. Usually whatever the Vodka comes in, that what I use. The beans aren't that hard to get out when its time to strain it IMO.

After 3mths I strain the extract, and repeat the process with new beans. YOu will find that if you use Tahitian you will have to strain it because that type has fibers that come off when you scrape the seeds.

My extract is usually ready in about 6mths. Of course the longer it sits, the better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%