Ok, Who Can Do Fbct The Right Way ??

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm by SaraClassic

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 9

I have issues with my FBCt, I love doing them, and I can rock a chocolate transfer, but the BC just gives me issues. So whos goign to share the secret? Ive done them thin to lay with the level of the cake, it cracks... fat to hold its shape and it sticks up, I dont want a huge piped border around it... So do you thin your BC, mix it with something....? Fess up icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 9

I do the whole top of the cake as a transfer. Then there is no sticking up and no big boarder on it. Kind of like the upside down icing technique but you make the transfer first. If you are using an icing that has a lot of butter in it you don't even need to freeze it you can just refrigerate it.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

I have issues with my FBCt, I love doing them, and I can rock a chocolate transfer, but the BC just gives me issues. So whos goign to share the secret? Ive done them thin to lay with the level of the cake, it cracks... fat to hold its shape and it sticks up, I dont want a huge piped border around it... So do you thin your BC, mix it with something....? Fess up icon_biggrin.gif

I honestly don't know if it is even possible to do a FBCT so that it is level with the cake. It has to not only have the outline filled in, but also a backing of the same icing as the cake. That isn't going to be thin. I was under the impression that was just a given. You should apply it like a plaque. Or as a transfer for the entire surface, as previously mentioned.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I do the whole top of the cake as a transfer. Then there is no sticking up and no big border on it. Kind of like the upside down icing technique but you make the transfer first. If you are using an icing that has a lot of butter in it you don't even need to freeze it you can just refrigerate it.

This is what I do, too. I draw the cake's size and shape around the design on my transfer outline and ice a little over the edges. No border and no bumps. I make the transfer thick enough to not require additional icing over the top of the cake.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 9

Evasmama, this has nothing to do with FBCT and everything to do with your avatar. HILARIOUS! icon_lol.gif

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 9

Thanks, Skirt! icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I do the whole top of the cake as a transfer. Then there is no sticking up and no big border on it. Kind of like the upside down icing technique but you make the transfer first. If you are using an icing that has a lot of butter in it you don't even need to freeze it you can just refrigerate it.

This is what I do, too. I draw the cake's size and shape around the design on my transfer outline and ice a little over the edges. No border and no bumps. I make the transfer thick enough to not require additional icing over the top of the cake.

POD what these lovely ladies said.

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 9

I must agree, making the transfer the same diameter of the cake surface is the way to go if you want it to look the best, imho.
Ive made dozens of these and have found that to be true, altho I don't always make them that large.
The one in my avatar wasn't as big as the entire cake surface, but probably would've looked better if it was.
it was just for family, so I wasn't too concerned =)

if anyone wants to check out a pic by pic tutorial, I blogged it
http://noshings.blogspot.com/2009/01/making-rainbow-cake.html

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

Duhhhh!!! I didnt even THINK of doing the entire size... geesh. Guess you can tell Im a blonde without seeing me icon_razz.gif Much easier to get the idea this way, and then it's "level"
Thanks for helping overcome the Duh factor !
* and for the step by step !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%