Stacking Cakes With Bc

Decorating By PattieCake81 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm by sugarshack

PattieCake81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattieCake81 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 12

Forgive me if this questions is ridiculous. I am very new to cake decorating. How do I stack cakes iced with bc without messing up my icing? Is there a trick to it? Any advice is appreciated!

11 replies
ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 12

Don't feel bad. I have done many cakes and still want to know what the trick is!!! I can't seem to stack them without making a mess...help!

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 12

I posted the exact same topic a few months ago. Most people told me to sprinkle powdered sugar on the bottom cake before putting the next layer on. Others told me to use coconut. I have just started trying this and the coconut seems to work better for me. the only problem is that now you have coconut on the cake and some people dont like coconut. also, putting dowel rods in helps to keep the upper cake from totally smashing into the icing of the lower cake. that is all i can tell you as i am still learning myself! good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 12

Here's a link to Edna's stacking video on youtube

Maybe it will help you.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 12

I use cake crumbs instead of PS or coconut.

As for getting the tiers in place without getting your fingers in the icing of the bottom tier, hold the cake by the cake board just over the bottom cake exactly where you want it to be. Hold it as low over the cake as you can without touching the cake. Let go of the cake. It will drop in place. It takes some practice to do this right.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Here's a link to Edna's stacking video on youtube

Maybe it will help you.

Thanks tiggy!
Edna icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

As for getting the tiers in place without getting your fingers in the icing of the bottom tier, hold the cake by the cake board just over the bottom cake exactly where you want it to be. Hold it as low over the cake as you can without touching the cake. Let go of the cake. It will drop in place. It takes some practice to do this right.

I tried that and I always mess up the sides, maybe I need to practice pulling my fingers strait out.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 12

Try to leave your dowels out of the cake about 1 - 1 1/2 inches, place the upper tier onto the dowels properly centered and let go and let the weight of the tier push the dowels down.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 12

I have also seen the idea on here to have to cakes really really cold if you can.. that way the icing is set and won't "mush" as much if you get into the icing.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Try to leave your dowels out of the cake about 1 - 1 1/2 inches, place the upper tier onto the dowels properly centered and let go and let the weight of the tier push the dowels down.

thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I tried that and I always mess up the sides, maybe I need to practice pulling my fingers strait out.

Check my video...the last thing to come out is not your finger, that would live a bigger hole on your cake..use a spatula to hold the cake up while you take your fingers out..
Edna icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 12

my method leaves the supports sticking up out a cake a few inches. i flash freeze the tiers then let them descend down onto the lower cake. works great with VERY little damage to the BC. '
(Pm me or see my siggy line)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%