Returning Equipment After The Wedding

Business By cakelady15 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm by Solecito

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 8

I run a home based business and I was wondering how you guys handle the couple returning cake stands, pillars, etc. after the wedding. I'm not always there and I feel funny about asking them to just leave it and I will mail them their deposit check. If something's wrong and I'm not there when they leave it then how can I say they can't get their deposit back. I hate to have to schedule an appointment though because then I'm stuck there waiting on them to return it. Any suggestions or tips on how you handle this?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

I rarely have anything for them to return. It's one of the reasons I switched to SPS. They buy it, it's disposable I don't want it back. Cake stands? I don't rent them. If the bride rents a cake stand she gets it from her florist or buys it herself.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 8

Back when I did home-based I would meet them at the Barnes and Noble or wherever. Then you can cut them the check right there.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 8

Under our philosophy of "we keep it simple for you", *IF* I have anything that needs returned, I will make arrangements with the facility for me to pick it up the following Monday. The bride/groom have this honeymoon thing planned, plus I just do not want to depend on a family member to get it back to me on time. I might need the equipment and if they screw around and not get it back to me timely, I could be totally screwed on my next event.

Plus I don't have to screw around with deposits 'n such.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 8

i take a $200 cash deposit for use of a silver cake stand and my SFS. on my contract they have to name one person who will be responsible to return the equipment to me by Thursday following and i get this person to sign for the $200 cash that i give them. I have people call to arrange a time when i am available or i wll meet them somewhere too.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Under our philosophy of "we keep it simple for you", *IF* I have anything that needs returned, I will make arrangements with the facility for me to pick it up the following Monday. The bride/groom have this honeymoon thing planned, plus I just do not want to depend on a family member to get it back to me on time. I might need the equipment and if they screw around and not get it back to me timely, I could be totally screwed on my next event.

Plus I don't have to screw around with deposits 'n such.

That's a good idea. I have a lot of cakes that I deliver to halls that are part of a park or places like that where there wouldn't be someone there and someone they know is doing the catering. I will keep this in mind for the catered venues though. Thank you icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 8

I arrange to meet them either at my home or somewhere in between so they can return equipment. I only do silver cake plateaus. I use the SPS and don't want it back. They have 3 days to return the equipment or I start taking $25 per day off of their refund of deposit. I don't mind going to the venue to pick up equipment if it's not too far away. I have dome some long distance weddings though and if they wanted me to pick it up they'd have to pay for that service.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 8

I ask for a deposit fee, and my contract states that all plates and pillars and stuff have to be returned to my address, and after 10 days I can use their deposit money to buy new plates and pillars. They are never late.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%