How Do You Keep Your Drain Clean??

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm by mcdonald

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 10

Okay.. I know this is a strange question... but what does everyone do to keep their drains clean at home after washing bowls and bowls of icing. I use butter and shortening in my recipe.. not to mention cleaning out cake bowls, etc......

I have noticed mine slowing down and didn't know if ya'll do something special to keep it from clogging up. I am afraid that is coming soon for me!!!

Again.. I know this might be a strange question but I sure would appreciate any information !!!

9 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know about anyone else, but I scrape my bowls, and utensils as good as I can, then I take Dawn detergent, and pour it directly down the drain(s) with very hot water. If the faucet water isn't hot enough, I heat up a kettle of it and use that. Once a month, I also use drain cleaner to help too. Dawn was reccomended by the Wilton instructor I had. icon_smile.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 10

I started dating a plumber icon_lol.gif

Sorry I know that doesn't help you, but it worked for me thumbs_up.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 10

Ditto on the Dawn! I use very very hot water and Dawn detergent. Havent had a problem.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 10

I pour boiling water down the drain first, and if that doesn't work I use vinegar and baking soda.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake900

I started dating a plumber icon_lol.gif

Sorry I know that doesn't help you, but it worked for me thumbs_up.gif

Ha ha! Thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 10

Vinegar and baking soda.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 10

A good rubber spatula is your drain's friend!
I have a septic tank, all that grease is very bad for it, so I try not to let it go down the drain. If it does, I 'third' using Dawn and boiling water. (I have metal drain pipes, if yours are plastic, just use hot from the tap... no melted pipes - yikes! )

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 10

That is one of the most important things we learned in school - grease will clog your drains. They taught us to meticulously scrape out our bowls of icing and chocolate.

I had the same problem for a while. Drano now makes a kitchen formula, which cuts grease. I tried it last week, and it worked very well. I will be using it weekly, to prevent further problems.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 10

wow.. all very good information.... I do have a septic system and have to be very careful!!!

I totally forgot the Dawn information as well!!!

As far as dating a plumber... hmmmmm ... wonder if I could get my husband to go for that???!!! Anything to save a buck !!!

Thanks again ya'll!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%