Aggressive Squirrels?

Lounge By cinderspritzer Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm by mkolmar

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 15

I had my kitchen window open because it's about 80 degrees outside and I've had the oven on most of the day.

All the cake was put away and the kitchen cleaned, so I doubt that's what cause the situation below.

I was asleep on the couch and I kept hearing this really loud scratching noise. I figured it was one of my cats, so I got up to go see what they were getting in to.

Actually, it was a squirrel. Tearing a giant hole in my kitchen window screen. I shooed it, and it only got more mad and started tearing harder at the screen. I shut the window, and it was still trying to get in.

Then it went and sat on the fence and proceeded to bark and hiss at my house. I'm sure it was trying to get in and fight with my cats. The aggression factor here makes me wonder if it has rabies icon_sad.gif

Do you guys have squirrels this aggressive where you live, or is it just this crazy one?

14 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 15

I have NEVER heard of a squirrel acting that way! I would think rabies or maybe mad squirrel disease!!

icon_surprised.gif

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 15

Wow!! I think he must must be sick! Be CAREFUL!!

The squirrels around here just LOVE to tease my dogs and the cat. They (there are two of them that I named "Sammy" and "Sandy") that come and sit right in front of my picture window! The dogs will go NUTS barking at them and they just sit there! Just the other day my cat and "Sammy" had a stare down!!
LL

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 15

I've never seen a "angry" squirrel either. So I would think there is something too. If it continues maybe there is a Wildlife Rehab. in your area and they will come catch him???

Gailgoodies---that picture is too cute icon_lol.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 15

I've never heard of one acting quite like that.

I used to live in an apartment complex with a park-like setting. There were a lot of squirrels and some of the residents feed them peanuts. I used to keep a handful of peanuts in my pocket and the squirrels would come running when I came out, and run circles around me all the way to my car begging for peanuts. There was one that lived behind my building, and when he would see me walk past the window, would climb up on the balcony and scratch at the door for his peanuts.

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 15

When I was in college, I swore the squirrels on campus were some sort of evil squirrels...they were completely tame and didn't mind coming right up for food. Lots of kids fed them and so they started looking for it and getting more aggressive. Maybe someone had been feeding the squirrel and he figured you owed him some cake!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 15

here ya go:
LL

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 15

Okay I just spit water all over my computer screen, that picture was so funny!

There is a squirrel at DDs preschool that also shows no fear. Will follow the kids around. Scares the crap out of me. Squirrels should not behave that way.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Okay I just spit water all over my computer screen, that picture was so funny!

icon_razz.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #10 of 15

We see "barking" squirrels all the time here. Honestly. AND I always see the birds and squirrels getting into it. I always imagine the song "Beat It" and a dance off/fight about to go down! icon_lol.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 15

The evil squirrel chewed it's way through the siding on my neighbor's house. Got in between the inside wall and the siding and got stuck. Animal control had to dart it with euthanasia to get it out because it was still intent on biting and scratching at everyone.

They ran some tests on it and it came back positive for rabies and bubonic plague. They said the plague isn't too uncommon around here. Lots of squirrels and foxes get it from the prarie dogs at the air force base.

Scary.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 15

Squirrels can be scary. They are usually cute, but not always. In college, there was this one squirrel I swear wanted to kill me. icon_lol.gif It was a big joke with my friends. He lived by the library and when he would see me, would literally come running out of his tree and charge. icon_lol.gif Weird, but true. I had to change my path and not walk on that side of the library anymore. icon_lol.gif
My parents have a squirrel they are currently trying to trap-it chewed a hole through their siding and live in their attic! From what I understand, you have to travel pretty far to drop them off or they will find their way back. I think about 50 miles and two bodies of water, or something like that.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 15

Between cinderspritzer's and summernoelle's posts I'm half laughing and cringing icon_lol.gif They seem so cute but that sound danger-oso! If you eat outside the Alamo, they come right up on the bench next to you! YIKES! icon_surprised.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

The evil squirrel chewed it's way through the siding on my neighbor's house. Got in between the inside wall and the siding and got stuck. Animal control had to dart it with euthanasia to get it out because it was still intent on biting and scratching at everyone.

They ran some tests on it and it came back positive for rabies and bubonic plague. They said the plague isn't too uncommon around here. Lots of squirrels and foxes get it from the prarie dogs at the air force base.

Scary.

Wow! I would have gotten my .22 and shot the damn thing at the point of it showing no fear when trying to get in through the screen. Rabies was my first thought when I was reading your first post.

Bubonic plague!! Eeeeekkk

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 15

My MIL is just like Snow White. She feeds wild animals right out of her hand. Squirrels, possums and raccoons come to her house almost every day to eat, she usually hand feeds them. *SHUDDER* Creeps me out, especially after reading about these crazed squirrels you all have running around. I think squirrels are kind of cute, but they are still a rodent.
Basically think of a rat that lives in a tree with a bushy tail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%