Making Cake Flour...worth It?..

Decorating By cb_one Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm by Cakepro

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

I was up last night perusing the Web, when I came across a recipe for Cake Flour?
Take 1 cup, add 2 tbl of Corn Starch then fill the rest with AP flour. Sift 3x and that equals 1c of cake flour.

I haven't tried baking with it yet and was wondering if anyone else has. If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to make your own? Other than taking the time to sift..

BTW a box of cake flour in my area costs between $2.80-3.50/box.

9 replies
Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 10

I have a conversion recipe that calls for 1 cup all purpose flour plus 1 Tlbs. baking powder. This is what I always use.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 10

Cake flour is made with a different wheat than AP flour...(winter wheat I believe). I'm not sure if the recipe you found would be a good substitute, maybe it would work in a pinch...

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 10

As there isn't "cake" flour where I live, I use something like the first recipe. It works, because the corn starch (and even potato starch in a pinch) makes the flour mix to cake flour (softer?).

The conversion for 1 cup all purpose + 1Tbls baking powder makes self-rising flour, no cake flour.
(And I cannot get self-rising flour here either icon_smile.gif )

cb_one Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 10

If you do a quick "search" you will find a few of them. I'll paste one of them.

http://recipecurio.com/make-your-own-cake-flour/

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 10

All-purpose flour has a 10-12% protein content and is made from a blend of hard and soft wheat flours. It can be bleached or unbleached which are interchangeable. However, Southern brands of bleached all-purpose flour have a lower protein content (8%) as they are made from a soft winter wheat. All-purpose flour can vary in its protein content not only by brand but also regionally. The same brand can have different protein contents depending on what area of the country in the United States you are buying it. Good for making cakes, cookies, breads, and pastries.

Cake flour has a 6-8% protein content and is made from soft wheat flour. It is chlorinated to further break down the strength of the gluten and is smooth and velvety in texture. Good for making cakes (especially white cakes and biscuits) and cookies where a tender and delicate texture is desired. To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour. Make your own - one cup sifted cake flour can be substituted with 3/4 cup (84 grams) sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch.

Read more: "Flour - Joyofbaking.com" - http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html#ixzz0AUyWP1Lj

taken from Joy of Baking website... shows you can make your own, but I'm still not clear on how it's a good substitute when the difference in the two is so significant.... I'm thinking a test may need to be performed icon_biggrin.gif

So, next time I bake a scratch cake, I'll try the sub and try one with regular cake flour and post my results icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 10

I buy cake flour by the 50 pound bag. Under $30 I believe. icon_smile.gif
Gotta get to the point where you can work in volume!

cb_one Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 10

Would love to, but over here in MD, we can't sell out of the house.
50lbs for under $30..wow

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 10

The intructions on my box of cake flour read that one cup plus 2 tablesppons of cake flour equal one cup of all purpose. I am in the process of reading all of "Cookwise" which says pretty much what foxymomma521 said. I suggest that you make two half recipes... one with regular all pupose and one with that cake flour mixture. Then send them both to me and I will tell you if they have similar taste and texture! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 10

Cake flour and AP flour behave differently in recipes. Some recipes tolerate subbing one for the other and some recipes don't.

I recommend that anyone wishing to learn the basics of baking pick up Shirley Corriher's Bakewise. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%