Where To Get Edible Glitter?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm by LSW

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #1 of 7

Hi I was just wondering where to purchase edible glitter and the dragees (I think that is what they are calledicon_smile.gif like I saw in this picture I attatched, can I get it at a Michael's or do I need to order it online?
Thanks alot
LL

6 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 7

You will not find dragees at Michaels. Wilton does make an edible glitter in several colors, but it is big "flakes" of glitter. You can use a mortar and pestle (like you would use to grind small amounts of spices) to break it into smaller pieces and it works much better. But, Global sells dragees, pearls, and lots of sparkley dusts, so it would be easier to just order from them icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

What that pic shows does NOT look like edible glitter to me. It looks more like luster dust. Edible glitter is a bigger flake.......not the dust looking stuff on those cuppies.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

I think that it is edible glitter ground up small. I do it all the time using a small tea strainer and the handle of a spatula.

I put the glitter into the strainer and rub it around with the handle of my spatula. If I want it super fine, I do it twice. You can sprinkle directly on the cake, or you can put it into a clean salt shaker.

Works beautifully for getting the results just like on the cupcakes in the photo. It also makes the glitter flakes go a long way.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 7

Rae, I thought of that....I too break up my glitter flakes but not that fineicon_smile.gif And I also use a salt shaker once it is ground up.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 7

Try www.fancyflours.com for dragees...they may have the glitter too.

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 7

Here's a recipe to make your own edible glitter: Have fun!
2 tablespoons water
2 oz. gum arabic
food coloring (optional)

put water in a basin, sprinkle in the gum arabic and stand the basin in a pan of warm water (or use a double saucepan). Heat gently and stir until dissolved. Strain the mixture through muslin, then brush it on to a clean baking tray. put in a cool oven until dry. scrape off with a knife, then flake between your fingers and store in an airtight jar. an alternative method is to strain the dissolved gum through some muslin and spread it thinly with a stiff brush on a sheet of clean polished glass. dry in a warm room or a very cool oven. when dry and set, scrape or brush the glitter off the glass and crush into small granules. add food coloring before straining it. light brown and yellow makes gold.

oven temp: 275 (cool)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%