Colette Peters Chocolate Cake..butter Or Shortening?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 2:51am by ptanyer

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 3

I've made Colette's chocolate cake a million times using shortening. She also says that butter can be used. Has anyone made this cake using butter? Wondering if it rises differently or has a different texture when using butter vs. shortening. Thanks!!!

2 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 3

I went ahead and tried it with butter. It did not rise quite as tall as usual. The texture is very soft, a bit softer than with the shortening. The cake is richer in flavor than with shortening. So....for any who were going to give this a whirl, my thought would be to fill the pans just a little bit more than you usually would.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 3

I use that cake recipe all the time and have always made it with butter. Didn't know you could use shortening instead. Might have to try that. This cake is my family's all time favorite. The only thing I have changed around is using Kahlua, Baily's Irish Cream and my favorite - Godiva Chocolate Liqueor instead of the bourbon. Awesome cake. And I use a whipped chocolate ganache flavored with the same flavoring to match the cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%