Professionals Please Take Mercy On Me! Help! (Dog Cake)

Decorating By lserafin Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm by PinkZiab

lserafin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lserafin Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a birthday cake for my sister that is to look like her dog. I review that YouTube video and while it is amazing, I am so confused as to how she did that fur... Has anyone tried to make that cake from the video?

On her blog that is linked to the video, she says she covered the cake with a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla rolled fondant.. does that mean choco-pan or just chocolate added to the fondant? Whatever she covered the cake with in the video looked more clay-like so I want to be sure before I start that I use the right stuff. It seemed so easy for her to make that fur, I just dont know how she did it? Is it just a matter of covering it thick enough?

Also, when she does the shading to the fur, what do you think she is using to do it? a browner petal dust? Or something else? I want it to look just like hers, because my sister's dog is the same breed! Help! Please, tips on anything would be a huge help!

5 replies
anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 6

Hi can you post the link to the youtube video you are referring to? icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

I googled you tube dog cake

So I don't know if that's the right one--but boy is that a great cake and an awesome video.

I would say that candy clay and fondant and a mixture of the two can be used.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:57am
post #5 of 6

Hi I just stumbled accross a site that has a quote from the person who made this cake about how she made it and what icing etc she used!

Here it is!

For my dads cake we started with our Old-fashioned Vanilla Cake and Vanilla Buttercream, (the recipes are in our book) split and filled 10-inch round cakes. Stacked them, carved them, and took the cakes apart to dowel so it was structurally sound. After the cake was sculpted I crumb coated the cake, which means I sealed in all the crumbs with a layer of buttercream. I made the head by carving styrofoam, because we had to drive the cake to my parents house and I wasnt taking any chances. Then we covered the cakes with a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla rolled fondant. The plastic wrap and towels around the cake are to keep the icing from drying it. It took a long time to make all that fur!"

Hope it helps

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

The "white chocolate" is most likely white modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%