How Do I Do This Cake?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 10:50am by debster

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 24

Does anyone know how to do this type of cake? I have no idea on this. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Thanks!

23 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 24

That's pretty interesting, I'd be curious too!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 24

Oh, I could only hope to get an order for $1,200 that serves 100 people!!!!! It is pretty though!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifebryan

Oh, I could only hope to get an order for $1,200 that serves 100 people!!!!! It is pretty though!

That is exactly what I was thinking!!! Looks beautiful, though.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 24

I am prtty sure they are just white chocolate ruffles. I have seen it done with chocolate plastic (chocolate and corn syrup).

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 24

Hmmm...I'm guessing here, but I would say a 6, 8, 9, 10 inch cakes that's 106 servings precarved. Stacked and carved slightly to make it more cone shaped, then start at the top and apply ruffled sheets of white modeling chocolate, til you reach the bottom. That's alot of chocolate, not surprising it is $1200, the chocolate alone would be several pounds.

I wonder if I'm even close, but that's my guess.

*Actually with that pointy top you may need to add a 4" or coned-type dummy to the top

b-radz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-radz Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 24

It looks like it might be done with candy clay. You could roll it out, cut it, shape. Looks like fun, good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #8 of 24

tinygoose said: wonder if I'm even close?.........

Yep, that's exactly how it's done.

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #9 of 24

tootie0809
That an amazing cake, I too would love to know how. By the way I love your avitar, the boxer dog is adorable!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 24

It's beautiful icon_biggrin.gif

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #11 of 24

I too believe it's chocolate plastic - the description of the cake indicates that white chocolate was used to create the ruffles. That would also explain the cost, lots of chocolate as tinygoose said.

Mich Turner of the Little Venice Cake Company does wonderful cakes in a similar style. If you can get your hands on her "Spectacular Cakes" book the technique is fully explained. Their web site is http://www.lvcc.co.uk

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 24

its beautiful.. lots of work.. price is great.. love to do one like that and get $1200.00.. if i was to ever be lucky enough to make this. i too, would charge that for it.

tinygoose Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

tinygoose said: wonder if I'm even close?.........

Yep, that's exactly how it's done.

Whoo Hoo! Ok Kakeladi, I have a question. Do you know how to get the chocolate transfers on modeling chocolate? I've seen cakes done in modeling chocolate with the colorful transfers on them.

tootie0809 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #14 of 24

Thanks everyone! I was wondering if it was modeling chocolate or straight white chocolate. Every time I've used white modeling chocolate though, it seems to get soft and not hold it's shape too well. I'm wondering if these thin ruffles would want to droop? Maybe I've just make modeling chocolate too soft from the beginning though. Does using really good white chocolate make a difference? I've only used candy melts when I've made modeling chocolate. This would be for a wedding in May. I'm a little scared to tackle such a technique for a wedding cake that I've never done before.

I absolutely WISH I could get that price for it too! I about died when I read the description, but then again it's a Cheryl Kleinman cake and she's absolutely amazing, so she can charge that much.

I have seen Mich Turner's book before, and I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I had seen a similar cake to this so I could read up on some instructions. THANK YOU for jogging my memory! That's exactly where I've seen it before. It's even at my local library, so I'll be headed over there tomorrow to check it out.

You're all so right that it would be lots and lots of chocolate. I need to try to figure out how much so I know what to tell the bride I'd charge on it. She's looked around a little bit at some other cake decorators and says that no one will do this cake for her. Makes me kinda scared wondering why? LOL! Would I be getting myself into a big headache.

This would be my first wedding cake, so that's why I'm so unsure about this all. Thanks for all the great advice! You are all awesome! icon_smile.gif

(P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. It is a pic of my then-little puppy who's now a big, spoiled rotten boy. Isn't he a cutie! If you can't tell, I'm very proud of him and absolutely in love with him. icon_smile.gif )

tinygoose Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 24

I've never tried it, but I would think you could put it through a pasta machine to keep the ruffles the same thickness, that may help. I would whip out some modeling chocolate and try 5-10 ruffles before I quoted a price. Both to see if I could do it and how much of a pain it's going to be.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #16 of 24

i cant see the pic! It wont download for me. Any suggestions on how to see it?

tootie0809 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

i cant see the pic! It wont download for me. Any suggestions on how to see it?

It's a pdf file. Do you have Adobe on your computer? If so, it should open right up. Sorry, I don't know how else to open it.

Quote:
Quote:

I've never tried it, but I would think you could put it through a pasta machine to keep the ruffles the same thickness, that may help. I would whip out some modeling chocolate and try 5-10 ruffles before I quoted a price. Both to see if I could do it and how much of a pain it's going to be.

I was thinking of doing a practice run too. Ooh pasta machine is a good idea! That would give me an excuse to go buy one! I've wanted to get one for a while. I actually told the bride that I was going to try to figure it out this weekend and see if it was something I thought I could do before I told her if I would do it and how much I would charge.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #18 of 24

To make it firmer you can use the white chocolate clay mixed with fondant and some gumpaste if need be. I'm trying to think of the persons name on CC that works with white chocolate clay all the time with the fondant. Jennifer in Michigan. I remembered!!!! She sells a DVD with the recipes included with the cakes.

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #19 of 24

Hi all

this cake is made by making chocolate collars, straight white chocolate on parchment or foil. you don't need to add anything to the chocolate, just melt.

you need to start this one from the top tier and work your way down.

melt the chocolate straight onto the paper and let it set slightly so it's not runny, then before it's fully set. wrap around the top of the first tier and ruffle the paper as you go. wait till each collar fully sets and then easy peel off the paper.

let it set completely before placing the next one on. It's really easy, you just have to be patient, and the cake must be fully constructed before you begin.

as for the tip top of the cake, you can leave that till last if you like and fill it in.

for say a 4 tier cake you would be looking at approx 3 kg of chocolate.

each collar should be around 1/4 to 1/3 the height of that tier, depending on how tall each tier is. And you will use longer collars as you go down the cake, hence more chocolate.

i made a straight tri collar cake the other day in my pictures , similar thing except your won't be tight around, and you can wave the chocolate along the strip instead of the straight line all the way around. hope that makes sense?

hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

bakerchick Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #20 of 24

I forgot to add, i find when using chocolate collars it's a really good idea to have the actual cake covered in ganashe all over, even if the bride wants BC inside.

the chocolate collars stick really well to the ganashe and it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth either, as you wont see the actual cake anyways.

I use ganash as a crumb coat quite often.

bakerchick

tootie0809 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #21 of 24

bakerchick, thank you sooooo much for these great instructions! You are awesome! I'm going to give this a shot this weekend on a my dummy cakes to see if I can get the hang of it.

If it is just straight chocolate, do I need to worry about room temperatures being too high? Like I said before, I'm worried, maybe for no reason but still worried that if it's outside and it's a warmer day or if it's warm in the room it's sitting in that the ruffles will start to soften and lose their shape. Have you ever seen this happen?

Again, Thank You so much for the great info! icon_smile.gif

bakerchick Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #22 of 24

because the chocolate has not additives it will melt as regular chocolate does.

What i would suggest is find out where the venue is, i.e will it be air conditioned? if so you will have no problems with the cake melting.

even if the venue is outdoors and it's warm, you can always keep the cake refridgerated until just before it's needed.

either way keep in mind the chocolate will sweat when it's taken out of the fridge. What i do to minimise sweating is place the cake in the box in the fridge so the cardboard absorbs the moisture and not the cake. You will probably have to make a box for this size cake i imagine.

If the reception is in an air con environment, you can comfortably take the cake out of the fridge at least a couple of hours before so it can be displayed for longer, this will help any condensation dry, BUT DON"T TOUCH WHILST IT"S DRYING - i learnt the hard way, the chocolate does not lie, it will show any fingerprints etc and can go opaque.

Put your dummy it in the fridge and you'll see what i mean, and if you have air con at home leave it out also and you'll see as well, either way the chocolate will set eventually.

Hope i haven't rambled on too much. i forgot to mention when your doing your collars cut them longer so you can get that ruffled look - but not too long so you don't get bunching, otherwise your cake will be huge by the time you reach the bottom

good luck thumbs_up.gif

tootie0809 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:22am
post #23 of 24

Thank you for your wonderful advice! I am definitely going to try some practice ruffles first and refrigerate them and then bring them out to get the feel of how the chocolate will react. If I do decide to tackle this cake, the wedding isn't until May, so I will have some time to play around with the technique and practice beforehand so I don't run into any disasters. Again, thank you so much for your help!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:50am
post #24 of 24

Wow Bakerchick that was a nice cake that you did and looked like it weighed a ton also. icon_surprised.gif I'd be sooooooooooooooooooooooo afraid of one of those melting on me. Maybe one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%