Fondant Question

Decorating By ladym1 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 1:23am by NanaFixIt

ladym1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladym1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 3

I have been fascinated by the beautiful cakes I've seen on this website using fondant. When I was decorating cakes on a regular basis, I had no interest in fondant at all but then I found the Cake Central website a few months ago. After seeing all the things that can be done with fondant,it really caught my attention. From what I've read, you have work quickly with fondant or it will dry out. If that's the case, what happens when it's used on a wedding cake, for example. Wedding cakes are set up ahead of time. Does this mean that the fondant dries out or does the buttercream base keep it soft?

2 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 3

It gets firm but not hard. You can easily cut through it. I'm sure the buttercream underneath has a lot to do with that.

Jodie

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 3

Fondant doesn't get really hard without mixing in gumpaste or tylose powder (which makes it hard enough to keep as a memento). I've found that fondant decorations tend to soften after being on the icing for awhile, making them really easy to cut through - but I still wouldn't suggest eating them unless you use a really good fondant! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%