My New Love: The Pearl Mold!

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm by JenniferMI

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 62

Well I've been working on all my gumpaste flowers and trying to perfect my piping for the border I wanted on my wedding cake. But I suck. I need to start doing hand exercises (No joke!) because it gets horribly tired doing an 8" cake. icon_mad.gif Then I get sloppy. On a border I can't do at the base of a cake to begin with so I gave up (or at least gave up for my wedding cake). Too much stress.

Then I decided a nice pearl border would be nice. Already made pearls to add to my cake, no stress the day of, perfect! Except when I made the 150 for my sister's cake it took forever! And they were not perfect so I dreaded the huge amount I would have to make.

I stopped by the cake store the other day and decided to splurge and buy the CK pearl mold and I tried it out last night. Expecting it to be a huge pain and boring but after the first one, I'm hooked! I love it, it's tons of fun, and I can't stop making them!

Thanks for surviving my long post but I'm super excited and had to share!

61 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 62

Great news! The CK one is that the blue or white one? I have the blue one but it has always been hard for me to work w/ but the white one is wonderful!

aswartzw Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 62

It's the blue one. I didn't have any issues with it. How's the white one different?

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 62

Any tricks for getting it to work and look clean? I have this mold - I tried it once and couldn't seem to get it to work...

Bec

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 62

I love the CK pearl maker too. This link has complete instructions. Easy to do, just be sure and brush lots of pearl dust in mold first, or if want beads without pearlizing, spray with a cooking spray, wipe out excess, then make the pearls as instructed. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=169&idea=500&occasion=General%20Cake%20Instructions

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 62

I love the CK pearl maker too. This link has complete instructions. Easy to do, just be sure and brush lots of pearl dust in mold first, or if want beads without pearlizing, spray with a cooking spray, wipe out excess, then make the pearls as instructed. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=169&idea=500&occasion=General%20Cake%20Instructions

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 62

I got one last week but haven't trie it yet.

thank you all for the instructions.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 62

Ok...I have the blue CK one...I just can't get the hang of it!! I got it months ago and through it in the drawer! I made one myself and I got better results!
I guess I better pull back out and give it another whirl!

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 62

Hi! Is this a 3d mold? I have the silicone half pearl mold and it is good and I just purchased the FMM plastic bead cutter and I can't get the pearls to look nice. They are not really defined pearls and there are seams on them. I followed the directions but still can't get it. Is the mold you are using a 9mm?

Thanks!

Sandy

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 62

I have the ck pearl mold, haven't used it for a cake yet, but practiced with it and it worked like a dream. I hope it works as will when I need to make a pearl border for a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #11 of 62

You know what, after taking another look it's actually the FMM bead cutter that I have. I'm with you, Sandy - they come out with seams which makes them look more like a cheap set of plastic pearls once they're done! I like my other FMM products...perhaps I just need to take some time and practice more with this one.

Bec

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 62

the ck pearl molds are great.. sugarshack uses them in her dvd.. jennifer dontz uses them in her dvd also.. have had mine for years. got different sizes and rope border , rose border.. dust with pearl dust.. make a sausage.. lay in mold.. press with fingers.. close mold.. squeeze tight together... cut off excess with small spatula.. open.. turn on side.. as they start falling out... use soft brush to help ease on out.. this is the way i was taught.. glenda galvez.. at auntglendascakes.com.. has a great dvd on this also.. where she puts them around her bows. it is not expensive. also, a great dvd on making beautiful large roses....hth

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #13 of 62

I to bought the CK pearl mold and had trouble I am going to try it again my problem is I would put to much dough in it and it would all come out of the mold and when I tried to cut off the excess my pearls would just fall a part I got so frustrated I just put the mold away and never got it out again.

Molly

aswartzw Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 62

Yeah, I heavily dusted the mold and rolled out a log of fondant. Then held the mold upside down and squeezed so the opening was wide open and placed over the fondant. Flipped it around, forced more fondant in, squeezed it closed (leaving just a tiny gap like it looks with nothing in it), used a knife to scrape off the excess and popped it out. Perfect little strings. Really it took no more than 1 minute to do it.

I highly recommend it! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 62

I too love popping out pretty pearls. I've got two different molds--one is the CK one that you have to be careful extricating the pearls because if the stiff mold closes while you're getting the string of pearls out then they get smashed. This one is about 6 inches long give or take.

The other mold is about 14 inches long and a softer silicone and user friendly to the max--much easier to remove the little gems and three sizes of pearls in one mold be still my cake toy loving heart.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 62

k8memphis

May I ask what brand is the softer white mold?

Molly

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

k8memphis

May I ask what brand is the softer white mold?

Molly

The softer one is actually blue too but I got it from Nick Lodge and I'm pretty sure it's a First Impression and I'm sure Global Sugar carries it too.

The other comment I had is that I store these molds upside down or covered with plastic wrap to protect them.

aswartzw Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

The other comment I had is that I store these molds upside down or covered with plastic wrap to protect them.

Oh, great idea! I don't need mine for awhile so I should do this. Thanks k8memphis.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #19 of 62

I teach lots of classes, and when we do the pearls, the students are blown away! I LOVE LOVE the CK pearl makers! They produce and all around pearl, not a 1/2 pearl. I also developed a clay I use in the pearl makers, I call it pearl clay but it has many other uses. The pearls really are FUN to make, but most that I've encounted that have difficulty with the blue molds, just don't know how to use them properly. I've made literally hundreds of strands of pearls. My customers are BLOWN AWAY that they are "chocolate" pearls.

A satisfied pearl gal icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #20 of 62

Oh, Jen, I'm in awe of your work. It's truly amazing. thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #21 of 62

Thank you for your kind words aswartzw....

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #22 of 62

I've been wanting to get a little pearl mold. I'm glad that I found this thread! Thanks everyone!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #23 of 62

I adore my CK pearl makers and use them all the time. I am going to use the big oval one in my next "production"

cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #24 of 62

Are there different sizes of pearls? Or just one size? If there is more than one size, what size do you recommend?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #25 of 62

I'm up to four different pearl molds. I now have the daisy border mold
it makes daisy bunches like the pearl mold. I love It.
I will never roll pearls again.leave it for the molds.

sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #26 of 62

I use the 4 mm to edge bows, the 6 and 8 for borders, and the large oval for kids cakes and whimsicals a lot:
LL
LL
LL

cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #27 of 62

Thanks Sugarshack!! You are amazing and so are your cakes!! Thanks for answering my question. I really appreciate it!!

sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #28 of 62

YW!

I lurv me some pearl molds! ( blue CK ones)

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #29 of 62

Jennifer do you mind sharing your pearl mold clay recipe? icon_smile.gif

I also use the CK blue mold. The more pearl strands I made starting out the better I got at making them. They remind me of one sided DNA strands when they first come out unfinished. LOL I would also like to try the mold that Edna uses in her video. It is longer so less time making pearl strands plus her's looks a lil more flexible and softer.

I am getting ready to buy the Aztek airbrush and can't wait for that toy also! icon_smile.gif

Livin in cakeland,
Chippi!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #30 of 62

I have the blue mold with 3 different sizes but I'm having trouble with mine.......my strings dont come out in a string, they break apart into single or double pearls???? Is this supposed to happen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%