Transporting Cake Questions

Decorating By music121 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm by indydebi

music121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music121 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 4

I am relatively new to cake decorating (about a year) and have mainly baked just for my family and some friends. Recently I have been asked to make several cakes for different events and have done so. My challenge though is finding a good way to transport the cake, mainly, finding a good way to package the cake. I have used one of those plastic dome containers, which I really liked, but seem expensive. I have tried those white bakery boxes but they seem flimsy and I was afraid the sides would touch the icing and ruin the design. HELP!!! Does anyone know a great, relatively inexpensive place to order the plastic containers or know of a better way to get the cakes delivered? For the 1/2 sheet cake I did, I used foam core so I wasn't worried about the cake board, just the packaging and delivery part.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

The wilton brand boxes at walmart ARE thin and flimsy. Had to get one in an emergency once and HATED it. Get some good ones at a cake supply store.

Put your cakes on good sturdy cardboard ... use 2 or 3 if you want .... and the condition of the box won't really matter all that much, because they will carry it from the bottom and the cardboard will support the cake.

To prevent the flaps of the box from messing up the icing .... dont' put the side flaps inside the box. I just close the lid and tape the sides down to the OUTSIDE of the box.

Put an 8" cake on a 10" circle in a 10" box. You'll have plenty of side room so the sides of the box wont' touch the cake.

music121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music121 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks indydebi. I will try getting better boxes. What do you do about sheet cakes though? Those boards and boxes barely leave enough room for the border.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by music121

Thanks indydebi. I will try getting better boxes. What do you do about sheet cakes though? Those boards and boxes barely leave enough room for the border.

I use the 14x19 boards for the 12x18 sheet cake and have plenty of room. (see this cake to see the space around the cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1331792 ). The 14x19 board slides into the large box perfectly.

I've ordered boxes from brb boxes http://www.brpboxshop.com/index_all_bakery_boxes_with_images.html?OVRAW=cake%20box&OVKEY=cake%20box&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=8783008522&OVKWID=72947299022 and have been happy with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%