Michele Foster's Fondant - Too Stretchy??

Decorating By ceshell Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm by Marianna46

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_nice_to_slice

Ok, so I made another batch of Michele Fosters, let it rest for the 24 hours and it is to stretchy... Can I save the current batch with white chocolate? I mean obviously it's too late to add it with the other liquids, but can i still melt some and knead it in? Oh, and I'm having a hard time with it sticking to my table, despite the shortening coating, any tips on that situation???

Based on what Michele has said, I think it sounds like you reallllllly need more powdered sugar. Anytime it is still sticky, more PS is in order. I would try that first!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:

Ok, so I made another batch of Michele Fosters, let it rest for the 24 hours and it is to stretchy... Can I save the current batch with white chocolate? I mean obviously it's too late to add it with the other liquids, but can i still melt some and knead it in? Oh, and I'm having a hard time with it sticking to my table, despite the shortening coating, any tips on that situation???

Knead in some more powdered sugar on a surface covered with powdered sugar. The shortening will only continue to soften and weaken it.

White chocolate can be kneaded into it. Use soft, not melted white chocolate. Don't add this until you get the fondant a little bit stiffer with powdered sugar, no shortening. The white chocolate could make it soft again.

Please read my post about my updated version of the recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6309232-.html#6309232 It has a link to the recipe and extra information for fixing fondant problems. I think all of your questions will be answered.

Michele

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #33 of 40

Thank you so much! I covered a cake in this yesterday and it was a breeze, but today I'm working on R2D2, and he's kinda tall, so the stretchiness really showed. I got it done, though, with just adding powdered sugar. I didn't think it could hold anymore, but I was wrong. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #34 of 40
Quote:

I didn't think it could hold anymore, but I was wrong. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for posting your results! That is exactly what I thought about my batch--it couldn't possibly take any more ps. Now I know that I am probably wrong. Can't wait to try to fix it up icon_smile.gif

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #35 of 40

This thread is so helpful - Michele, your recipe is fantastic! And I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their experiences. I just made the fondant for this first time this week and because I'm just making stuff for fun, I had half left over. I tried making it chocolate (really cocoa, I guess) tonight by using Toba Garrett's recipe of adding 2-5 TB per 8 oz of fondant. I ended up adding 5 TB of Penzey's dutch processed for 16oz, and it is really tasty! I probably could have added more, but this was a nice color, and with it being my first time I was playing it safe icon_smile.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #36 of 40

Hi Michele,
I live in far east Texas where the heat and humidity are amazing. How will the fondant do in that weather, with the white and dark chocolate added?

Thank you,

Debbie B.

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #37 of 40

My question is, what if you have someone who is allergic to glycerin?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #38 of 40

I live in far east Texas where the heat and humidity are amazing. How will the fondant do in that weather, with the white and dark chocolate added?
I live in Texas also, before in Oklahoma where heat and humidity are a big problem. Try using a bit less glycerin for serious problems and a little more powdered sugar.

My question is, what if you have someone who is allergic to glycerin?

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you here. You could try adding a small amount of a cold pressed cooking oil (not olive oil) and little extra corn syrup.

HTH

Michele

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #39 of 40

Hi Michele,
Thank you for your advise. I plan to try your recipe soon. It sounds delicious. I appreciate you sharing your recipe.

-Debbie B.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #40 of 40

Thanks for the tips about the humidity, Michele icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif . I have absolutely no problems with your fondant being too stretchy (haven't tried the new version yet, but I will soon!) here in the high and dry reaches of Mexico City. But the advice will sure come in handy when I try making fondant in Cancún (where my children and grandchild live), which has about the same humidity level as Miami, if not just a tad more icon_lol.gif . And, of course, my whole year revolves around that one special project: my granddaughter's birthday cake icon_biggrin.gif (and her mom's one day earlier), which is in August - the most humid month in a place already known for how wet it gets! icon_cry.gif I'm actually looking forward to the experience this time, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%