Sorry, But Another Pricing Question

Business By MomLittr Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm by __Jamie__

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 11

Being there seems to be no end in site to my husband's unemployment, thought I would start early orders for Easter. I know you all know the Wilton Easter Egg cake (my pic attached), what do you normally charge for this? And if you have made it, do you split it and fill it at all (never have but thought it might be a good idea)? THANK YOU ALL for your help!

deb
icon_biggrin.gif
LL

10 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 11

The pan instructiosn say it takes one mix... so that's 20 servings. You can definitely torte it to get filling in there. If you are using the pan and not carving then I would charge less than if you were carving it... so I'd probably just charge my normal base price for it. For me that would be $100.

MomLittr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 11

Wow Jeanne, I was hoping to get $25-$30 for this cake (unfilled)! I am very impressed you can get $100 base price for cakes - that is great! I only do this for co-workers for holidays, so my prices (and quality) are no where near yours I am sure. Thank you for your response!

deb

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 11

Go by servings - maybe like $2 per servings, $40.

FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 11

No problem Deb... and by all means, I don't mean to imply that my prices are the end all be all (though it would be nice right? icon_lol.gif) so if you have a base price per serving... use that and multiply by 20. I'm not sure how big the egg pan is, but going by the fact that it says one mix will fill it, I assume 20 servings since one mix will make an 8" cake and I call that 20 servings. icon_smile.gif

I am going to run an easter special and do 3-D eggs and I plan on selling them for $125.00. I should say that I am a scratch baker and I use swiss meringue buttercream or ganache and cover all of my cakes with fondant so that drives my costs up a bit. I wouldn't go less than $2-2.50/serving though. So that would be $40-50.00.

Your cakes are great and you are showing a great progression as you go along... don't under estimate yourself. Remember that you aren't just selling ingredients... you are selling your skill and your time. You are providing the service of baking and decorating a cake to someone who can't/doesn't want to do it themselves and that my friend is worth much more than ingredient costs. Good luck with your baking.. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the ego boost Jeanne! Actually I am home this week after having some "girl"surgery this past Friday, so get to hang around CC for a while, and an ego boost made my day!

The pan itself said it serves 12, so that goes along with my $25-$30 for the cake. All the stars is what takes so long. I make my own buttercream however am a lousy scratch baker (someday...) so I doctor cakes and folks think they are scratch. Maybe I will push the envelope and go for $35 per serving - I think you can get 15 servings at least from that cake. Will let you know how that works out!

Thanks again!

deb

MomLittr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the ego boost Jeanne! Actually I am home this week after having some "girl"surgery this past Friday, so get to hang around CC for a while, and an ego boost made my day!

The pan itself said it serves 12, so that goes along with my $25-$30 for the cake. All the stars is what takes so long. I make my own buttercream however am a lousy scratch baker (someday...) so I doctor cakes and folks think they are good. Maybe I will push the envelope and go for $35 for the cake - I think you can get 15 servings at least from that cake. Will let you know how that works out!

Thanks again!

deb

FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 11

If it takes a whole mix... you can get at least 20 servings out of it. I price by the standard wedding serving and I tell people that. This is how a cake is cut... this is how you cut it to get ther proper servings. If they want/think they'll need more cake... then they can order more.

I think that you should charge a flat fee for it though. It's a 3-D cake even if you don't need to carve it so it deserves a 3-D price structure. I'd say no less than $40. I hate stars... they hurt your wrist after a while. I'd much rather have to mess with fondant. icon_lol.gif

Cake is cake and it's all work regardless of how it's made. Being made from a doctored mix doesn't make your decorating of any less worth than any other cake. Keep up the good work and I hope that you are feeling better from your surgery soon. icon_smile.gif

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 11

I would charge $40. You figure the ingredients for 1 cake mix, 2 recipes of frosting, cake board and box will be $10 ish plus the decor. time so that way you'd make $30.

That's just my system. Good Luck!

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 11

I would charge $40. You figure the ingredients for 1 cake mix, 2 recipes of frosting, cake board and box will be $10 ish plus the decor. time so that way you'd make $30.

That's just my system. Good Luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 11

I canno imagine doing all that work and being handed two $20 bills for it. After the cost of your mix, your doctored ingredients, the board, the electricity, the gas, the water, the icing, the strain on your wrists, your time....what's left, like $10? icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%