A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2311 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHarrison

Hi sorry I haven't been on in ages but I have a quickie question. People say they used BSG to get their public liability insurance, could someone send me a link to their address or something because no matter how I google it, nothing is coming up. Could anyone recommend a good company to cover for public liability that covers the product for food poisoning and all that stuff please? I'm going out of my mind trying to search!

heres the main website - http://www.bsguk.org/ you have to be a member first, which is about 23 pounds, plus the basic insurance for around 17, and both run from april to march every year no matter when you sign up but you can do it all online which is good. i received my certificates really quickly afterwards in the post.

frenchfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchfancy Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2312 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfancy

try as I might my standard buttercream always ends up slightly gritty. No one has ever complained other than my best critic (my hubby). I have made the swiss meringue butter cream and that is beautiful, but not sure its stable enough for torting stacking cakes, also has a shorter shelf life once made so not ideal for big cakes. Has anyone got a foolproof uk buttercream recipe as all the ones I find on here have crisco and meringue powder etc in them.

thanks in anticipation

I use IMBC in all my cakes. How long do you need it to sit out for? I've had IMBC at room temp for a week and it has been fine. I use it as the buttercream inside all my cakes. So long as you put a dam (I use ganache as my dam and outside coating) it won't squidge out the sides.

Instead of crisco you can use Trex or Cookeen and they sell meringue powder on The Cake Decorating Company's website.

Regarding the grit in your usually buttercream, how long do you whip the butter for before adding the icing sugar? and do you sift your icing sugar?

thanks for your reply. I am relatively new to cake making and decorating so definately on a learning curve at the moment. regarding the swiss meringue butter cream I use it says in the recipe is good for 2/3 days. please excuse my ignorance but what is IMBC and what is the recipe? I would want the cake to be good for at least a week, giving me 3 days for decorating and person it is for another 3/4 days to eat it. So the buttercream you are using that is good for a week sounds great to me.

I do always sift my icing sugar and usually whip the butter till soft; maybe I should be whipping it for longer? could this resolve grittiness?

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2313 of 25877

Wonderful thanks Jilly! I am now officially all, wel, official! Website is up and running, started a blog too.

Can I ask how people work out their pricing on cakes? I know exactly what each recipe costs and its packaging etc but how do you decide how much is suitable for your time?

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2314 of 25877

Sorry to be a pain, but how do you find out how much of your utility bills you can claim back as expense ie water, gas and electricity?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2315 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:

try as I might my standard buttercream always ends up slightly gritty. No one has ever complained other than my best critic (my hubby). I have made the swiss meringue butter cream and that is beautiful, but not sure its stable enough for torting stacking cakes, also has a shorter shelf life once made so not ideal for big cakes. Has anyone got a foolproof uk buttercream recipe as all the ones I find on here have crisco and meringue powder etc in them.

thanks in anticipation

I use IMBC in all my cakes. How long do you need it to sit out for? I've had IMBC at room temp for a week and it has been fine. I use it as the buttercream inside all my cakes. So long as you put a dam (I use ganache as my dam and outside coating) it won't squidge out the sides.

Instead of crisco you can use Trex or Cookeen and they sell meringue powder on The Cake Decorating Company's website.

Regarding the grit in your usually buttercream, how long do you whip the butter for before adding the icing sugar? and do you sift your icing sugar?

thanks for your reply. I am relatively new to cake making and decorating so definately on a learning curve at the moment. regarding the swiss meringue butter cream I use it says in the recipe is good for 2/3 days. please excuse my ignorance but what is IMBC and what is the recipe? I would want the cake to be good for at least a week, giving me 3 days for decorating and person it is for another 3/4 days to eat it. So the buttercream you are using that is good for a week sounds great to me.

I do always sift my icing sugar and usually whip the butter till soft; maybe I should be whipping it for longer? could this resolve grittiness?

This is the tutorial I use when making meringue buttercreams.

I whip my egg whites and heat my sugar syrup. I add the sugar syrup to the egg whites whisking it at high speed, as soon as the meringue mixture reaches a luke warm temperature I add all the butter. I then whip it on low until the buttercream is ready. Never had this recipe fail.

Re the shelf life: As with any food items it's always recommended you consume within 'x' amount of days. The daffodil cake in my photos, I told the person I made it for that the only day I could get it ready for them to collect was on the Sunday (working around my shifts at the Prison) but they wouldn't be cutting it until the Thursday. I started making it on the Thursday before and they said it was amazing. I've done experiments of leaving it out and eating it on cupcakes and I've never been ill or noticed any difference in taste.

I would try beating the butter for a bit longer, and when you have added the icing sugar just leave it running in the mixer for an extra 10 minutes or something like that.

I'm going to try making a chocolate frosting (butter + icing sugar + cocoa powder) in a couple of days. I don't like my IMBC recipe when it has chocolate added, or maybe I should try adding milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate. Anyway, more experiments coming up lol.

frenchfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchfancy Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #2316 of 25877

thanks Lisapeps that was really useful. will have to try mixing up the buttercreams again and do a taste test.

idontknow Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2317 of 25877

have we seen this cake pop maker, pricey at 180 pounds but if you make 100s of these it makes them easier to churn out i guess....http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=338_347&products_id=3411

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:17pm
post #2318 of 25877

Does not look like its worth that amount of money icon_eek.gif I would rather get an edible printer

cakelady1802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1802 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2319 of 25877

I seen in an earlier page someone talking about The Mat, I can't find it again. Can we get it in the uk.

cakelady1802 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2320 of 25877

I have another question, I currently make my cakes in two pans as I find when I make a deep cake it takes ages to cook so the crust is burnt and has to be cut away. I have only been doing this for 6 months, is there a secret I don't know yet or should I continue with two pans

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2321 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady1802

I seen in an earlier page someone talking about The Mat, I can't find it again. Can we get it in the uk.

I ordered mine from them on ebay
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sweetwise-Cake-Supplies?_trksid=p4340.l2563

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #2322 of 25877

Hi
If your larger cakes are doing this then you either need to speed up the cooking of the centre or slow down the edges. I would suggest a cake nail or two (basically like a large very flat flower nail) there's a thread on here somewhere discussing them that will help you. To slow down the cooking on the edges you need to wrap your tin, I'd start by putting a collar of newspaper around the tin, as for cooking an old fashioned Christmas cake, if that makes a difference consider if it's worth your while to get bake even strips. If the top is darkening then once it is dark enough pop a piece of tin foil shiny side to the cake over the top.

HTH
If it doesn't make sense just ask.

Yours aye
Puss

cakelady1802 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2323 of 25877

Thanks I had been thinking about the strips. I hadn't heard of cake nails, ill have a look for them.

I will also look on eBay for the mat, it sounds great.

Thank you both for your help

LisaPeps Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2324 of 25877

Don't bother with the strips you can make your own. Get an old towel, cut it into strips which are long enough to fit around the circumference of your pans and about 3" tall (for 3" pans, 2 for 2 etc...). You soak them in water, ring them out slightly so they are still quite wet but not dripping, then wrap them around your pans and secure with a safety pin. Helps your cake bake level as well.

cakelady1802 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2325 of 25877

Great tip thanks, and a lot cheaper

idontknow Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:48pm
post #2326 of 25877

i made a cupcake tree, and the cupcakes and icing stayed on! LOL - check it out: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2129037. i would say the choc ganache was very good for this purpose, would advise using that. next time i want to try white choc ganache so that i can colour it, other improvements i added to the pic info. anyone else tried this, do you have any tips?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2327 of 25877

Its beautiful. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am going to make whipped ganache and use it for cupcakes. Even though I use ganache all the time, never used it for cupcakes.

How many of you got THE MAT? Is it any use at all. I watched the video and it is very tempting. I don't want spend lot of money and not using it. Any feedback?

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2328 of 25877

what is 'whipped' ganache?? i make the regular ganache melting the chocolate in the warmed whipping cream and then letting it set in the fridge. does 'whipped' ganache require whipping of this cold mixture? and what would it be used for in comparison to the non-whipped kind.

idontknow Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2329 of 25877

thanks bashini - im also tempted by the mat...but i am getting better rolling out large pieces of sugarpaste so i think i need more practice.

i'd also not used ganache on cupcakes before, but my friend suggested it for the tree as its quite a hard frosting when set, which is what you need when half the cakes are hanging upside down!! ive never made whipped ganache, but yes its just whipped ganache.

LaBellaTorta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaTorta Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #2330 of 25877

I am off on hols to the states next week, and while my friends are excited about shopping for clothes etc, I can't wait to get into the cake shops and pick up all the stuff I can't get here! Top of my list is SPS and a cake pop maker - http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers

What else should I get?

bashini Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:46am
post #2331 of 25877

Joanna1, yes, it is just whipped ganache once its cool. But the ratio for the ganache is 1:1 of cream to chocolate. The normal recipe of 1:2 ration is a bit stiff. That's what I was told. icon_smile.gif

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:12am
post #2332 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Joanna1, yes, it is just whipped ganache once its cool. But the ratio for the ganache is 1:1 of cream to chocolate. The normal recipe of 1:2 ration is a bit stiff. That's what I was told. icon_smile.gif

thanks for your reply bashini icon_smile.gif would the whipped version hold better for piping on cupcakes? thanks again.

LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:10am
post #2333 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaTorta

I am off on hols to the states next week, and while my friends are excited about shopping for clothes etc, I can't wait to get into the cake shops and pick up all the stuff I can't get here! Top of my list is SPS and a cake pop maker - http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers

What else should I get?

Jealous! I was desperate for one of those babycakes cake pop makers but they don't ship to the UK!

Are you a hobby baker, semi-pro, pro? What's your budget? icon_wink.gif

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:18am
post #2334 of 25877

I just had to share with people who'd understand icon_biggrin.gif I got a call from a local shop / deli who want to sell my cupcakes icon_eek.gif. I know I'd have to do a wholesale price but a regular order would be great. I was also approached by a wedding planner / florist yesterday who wants me as a vendor for wedding cupcakes. I'm so excited!

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:24am
post #2335 of 25877

Congratulations well done icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

idontknow Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:50am
post #2336 of 25877

oh cool, congrats valkstar!

bashini Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:15am
post #2337 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

thanks for your reply bashini icon_smile.gif would the whipped version hold better for piping on cupcakes? thanks again.

Yes, it does pipe nicely. I will post a photo when I do them (if I get it right!! icon_redface.gif)

klh82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh82 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:27am
post #2338 of 25877

Please can anyone recommend brands of white chocolate that melts well and give a smooth coating on cake pops.
Thanks in advance, kerry

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:46am
post #2339 of 25877

No reminders again Grrr.
Idontknow. Love the tree.Well done.
Valkstar congrats on your new oppurtunities. hope all goes well for you.
LaBellaTorta. If It were me I would get an agbay if I could affford it.I ahve always wanted one even though I am a hobby baker.
Cakelady here is how I make my baking strips. If the cake is cooking too quick on top I place a piece of foil over.
All my cakes now rise evenly and don't burn anymore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34971289@N06/5438335262/

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #2340 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaTorta

What else should I get?

Get the Agbay leveller if you can, I so want one am going to contact my friend in the States to get one sent to her icon_smile.gif
x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%