A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:28am
post #2281 of 25877

Lisa peps I cannot believe you only started caking a year ago icon_eek.gif Your cakes are great. Iam in awe. You have done topsy turvies and they scare the pants off me. I got asked to do one in Sept but I declined. If it were for someone special maybe I would attempt it.
Like you I have never had a lesson. Just got books from the library and charity shops. I discovered google icon_biggrin.gif and do lots of searches for tutorials. I have learnt a lot from you tube and from cake sites like this.
I would love to go to the NEC but is too far from me and too big for my pocket at the moment. One day (sighs)
I am always happy to offer advice on what I know as people have been so kind in helping me to learn.

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:54am
post #2282 of 25877

If you do go for a class, be very clear about what the class will offer. I booked a sugarpaste course 2 months in advance. In that time i worked from books/youtube/cc and when the class came round I had already tried 95% of the lessons just from being online, personnally i now think it was a waste of £100....but we live and learn!!
For the NEC, i am considering going for the first time, does anyone know what parking is like? Also, if i do go I will be driving so am happy to lift share with fellow cc folk if others nearby are going?
sam x

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:48am
post #2283 of 25877

Thanks Rosie icon_smile.gif Topsys have caused me the most stress! By teaching myself I've also taught my sister, I always rope her in to helping me do them lol

Huge amounts of parking but I think it's something like £8 for the day. When I went I parked at the train station because it was £5 per day and you might be able to get a weekend parking ticket. You have to walk about 10-15 mins if you do that though.

I might enter this year, thinking the Novice Winter Wonderland or the general wedding cake of two or more tiers. I was going to enter both but I don't know if they'd both fit in my car :S I only live half an hour away so it's easy for me.

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2284 of 25877

thankyou lisapeps,jilly and all others, ill bare that in mind, i just finished a cake for my bro's gf today and although all my cakes are well recieved im the first to criticise because i know how i want it to look, i seem to spend hell of a lot of time adding things to cover up mistakes ive made lol so my cakes always seem to be forever changing, ive got to new pictures to upload shortly ad would highly appreciate your honest opinions/ suggestions of things i possibly could have changed or done differently/used differently, i read to put a bc crumb coat before applying icing nd took it that was all i would but the icing always appears bumpy, is it essential to put marzipan on aswell or is there another way, thanks again all, and ill definetly look into going to the nec, my ex gf's gran actually works there and she was forever getting free tickets to concerts so i think that will be my first point of call lol. Rich

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:41am
post #2285 of 25877

Your cake is beautiful. thumbs_up.gif

I always ask my customers whether to use marzipan under sugarpaste, as lot of people don't like marzipan on sponge cakes. If its a chocolate cake, I always use ganache. For other sponges, I use bc, but a thin layer of bc. I roll sugarpaste a bit thicker so that it gives a nice finish. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Rosiepan Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #2286 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuicidal_Zeth

thankyou lisapeps,jilly and all others, ill bare that in mind, i just finished a cake for my bro's gf today and although all my cakes are well recieved im the first to criticise because i know how i want it to look, i seem to spend hell of a lot of time adding things to cover up mistakes ive made lol so my cakes always seem to be forever changing, ive got to new pictures to upload shortly ad would highly appreciate your honest opinions/ suggestions of things i possibly could have changed or done differently/used differently, i read to put a bc crumb coat before applying icing nd took it that was all i would but the icing always appears bumpy, is it essential to put marzipan on aswell or is there another way, thanks again all, and ill definetly look into going to the nec, my ex gf's gran actually works there and she was forever getting free tickets to concerts so i think that will be my first point of call lol. Rich

You should have seen my first efforts they were horrendous. The star point buttercream ones were passable but it was when I discovered sugarpaste. I had no internet or books and didn't realise that the more icing sugar you add the drier it gets and the more cracks you get.But no matter how awful I thought they looked(and they did) my friends and family were so encouraging and that is what spur me on. I would say that you will be your own worst critic and you will always see what others don't see, that thumb print and that crack. the lopsidedness etc. I have yet to make that flawless cake.
The fact that you can bake good deep cakes is a start as that is an art in itself. I would suggest taking a lot of time getting your buttercream crumbcoat right. Use a spatula dipped in hot water and then wiped with a a paper towel to smooth it off. Then make sure your sugarpaste is not too thin. Don't go too heavy on the icing sugar.I use a pvc pipe from homebase as a rolling pin, you only need to dust the worksurface.I use vodka to clean off excess icing sugar others use trex but don't use water as it leaves a water stain. Vodka evaporates leaving no mark.
Please if there is anything you need advice on just ask. There is a wealth of information to be had here.
One more thing well done on your book cake. It took me about 15yrs before I attempted one. I think you did a good job considering your limited experience and I am sure it was well received.

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2287 of 25877

i tried making a ganache a few times but i can never achieve that kind of brightness in look, mine always seems dull and plain.
for some reason all the cakes i bake no matter what sort it always seems to come out right even when i think its going wrong. as for the bc im a git for never measuring it and always going with how it tasts and the texture , the warm water and spautla sounds like it could be an advantage for me, also when you say you use vodka to clean excess icing sugar, are you meaning the excess left on the sugar paste? ive seen an harley davidson cake on here that i want to attempt for my dads birthday at start of nov so im looking forward to doing that and ive also got my eldests to do at the end of this month so ive got a few more to do to get some practice in, i was practising flowers but because ive only got a plastic ball tool and ive never heard of flowerpaste until nowi stopped doing them until i can afford some new tools other wise i can never get the petals thin enough. one last thing, i wanted to make an icing bow to go on the heart cake but was a bit lost, as i was there with a strip of icing trying to tie it in to a bow lol, any suggestion? thanks again all, is really nice being a part of cc, the help is endless and always offered willingly and freely . Rich . ps the book cake was nice to do but annoyed me by sagging + i put the top book wrong way round on cake lol

Rosiepan Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2288 of 25877

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyiisTT-fdE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOTdwsbgDV8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+cover+a+cake+with+fondant&aq=f
http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/simply-glorious-chocolate-ganache-recipe-3-ways/
These should help you with bows and cake covering.
I dip a clean paint brush in vodka to clean up excess sugar off the pasteand to stick flowers and lettering on cakes and boards. It is also good to clear up paint smudges .Use a paper towel dampened with vodka and lightly dab on the sugarpaste. Too hard and it will leave a mark. It is best to let the paste dry before trying.
Also. why dont you make a cake like a tyre and stick a model motorbike on top similar to these..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pq=motorbike+cake+toppers&xhr=t&q=Motorbike+tyre+cake&cp=19&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=543&wrapid=tljp1312923011397016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
Be warned true black is hard to make you would be better off buying it ready made. if you do it yourself start off with a dark colour like brown before adding black and do not use liquid colours you need the gel ones else your icing will be a gooey mess.
Happy caking.

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:44pm
post #2289 of 25877

cheers rosie, im gonna look into the bike thing, get some more ideas, i havent yet made my own icing, i will do as im sure it will become cheaper for me when im making more cakes, ive got the baking near sorted, i wanna sort my icing techniques out now, rather than carry on like i have been and trying to learn everything at once, i figured if i do things methodically as i would in my day job then ill have a better chance of reaching the results i want, thanks again. Rich, ill come back to these pages for when im ready to learn different things and get links, ive just jotted down the pages numbers

Rosiepan Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:33am
post #2290 of 25877

I think that that is the best approach to take. Master the basics first.
I wasn't referring to making your own icing but to colouring what you have to get it black.It usually comes out grey and the more black colour you had the softer it gets and can have a bitter taste. Sorry I didn.t explain myself well.
Rose.

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2291 of 25877

cheers rosie, ive been thinking of trying my first tiered cake soon, ive got a friend whos getting married soon and im thinking of making an upside down tiered cake, so the smallest would be at the bottom, i have a friend who weilds for nascar who can make me very thin supports so i could have it upside down but also staggered to give it a very unstable look, i was wondering what you lot would think

bashini Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:06am
post #2292 of 25877

Hi, if I'm not mistaken, upside down cakes are made for divorces isn't it?

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 8:57am
post #2293 of 25877

Hi!

I just noticed Zuicidal_Zeth mention their ganache coming out dull- not sure fi you already do this or not, but I always add a knob of butter in when I melt my chocolate and this seems to make the ganache beautifully shiny, even after it sets up. I also don't refrigerate it as this usually gives it a dull appearance.

HTH!

Rosiepan Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:06am
post #2294 of 25877

I really wouldn't know where to sart on that one. I would say it was very adventurous for a beginner but then nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose. I think you should do as much research as you can first, The one thing I do know about stacking cakes is for them to be stable with even supports. I don't think they would need to me metal just foodgrade safe and sturdy and most important to have the right amount and all the same level. I think that would be the same principle for upside down cakes as well. Good luck on that one.

bashini Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:34am
post #2295 of 25877

Hi, if anyone wants to try ganache, here are some great videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InspiredByMichelle?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/2/qFtm8q4m4Bk

Rosiepan Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:37am
post #2296 of 25877

You can tell I am on my summer break with nothing much to do lol but I have been searching and found these links for you that may help on construction of these cakes.

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:51am
post #2297 of 25877

oooh i had to share with you guys, i just finalized my logo and business card design, excited about printing them now!!

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:19pm
post #2298 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

oooh i had to share with you guys, i just finalized my logo and business card design, excited about printing them now!!

Well done! Did you create the logo yourself or hire someone to do it for you?

idontknow Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:35pm
post #2299 of 25877

i hired someone - a friend of a colleague who does freelance design on the side of her FT job. i had a very definite idea of what i wanted my logo to look like, i even scanned her a sketch! icon_biggrin.gif

idontknow Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:39pm
post #2300 of 25877

now i need to work on my site...i signed up to squarepace for a trial and it looks good but i don't have enough (any!) web design skills to customise it enough, but it will do for now until i can afford something better.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2301 of 25877

I'm looking for someone to create one for me.....could you PM me with how much she charges etc.

Thanks a mil thumbs_up.gif

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:55pm
post #2302 of 25877

thanks all for comments, also regarding sites and logos, the goverment will fund for web design etc, theres awebsite for it but ill have to get in touch with a friend, from whhat i know you use of the website free for 2 years and theyl host it free of charge, hope that helps

frenchfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchfancy Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2303 of 25877

try as I might my standard buttercream always ends up slightly gritty. No one has ever complained other than my best critic (my hubby). I have made the swiss meringue butter cream and that is beautiful, but not sure its stable enough for torting stacking cakes, also has a shorter shelf life once made so not ideal for big cakes. Has anyone got a foolproof uk buttercream recipe as all the ones I find on here have crisco and meringue powder etc in them.

thanks in anticipation

idontknow Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2304 of 25877

i have a cookie cutter question - i'd like to make a wedding dress and groom's jacket set of cookies like this http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/519580/bride-and-groom-cookies and i can find plenty of wedding dress cuters, but have not found a jacket cutter - does anyone know where i can find one?

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:24am
post #2305 of 25877

I just looked in the book and she used kitchengifts.com for her coookie cutters its us site don't know if they post to UK but they have all sorts of cutters on there inc a tuxuedo.

bashini Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #2306 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

i have a cookie cutter question - i'd like to make a wedding dress and groom's jacket set of cookies like this http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/519580/bride-and-groom-cookies and i can find plenty of wedding dress cuters, but have not found a jacket cutter - does anyone know where i can find one?

Hi, I found this,

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Jumper_-_Jacket_Cookie_Cutter.html

Also found this one, but very expencive,

http://www.splatcooking.net/on-line-store-2/featured-products/peggy-porschen-romantic-cakes/dinner-jacket-copper-cookie-cutter.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sharon24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon24 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2307 of 25877

Someone mentioned a couple of pages back about classes.

I went to a great course yesterday run by 'April Delights' in Nottingham.

I learnt a lot about cupcake decorating and she does courses on other things too. Well worth the money.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2125963

Take a look at what she taught us

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm
post #2308 of 25877

Hi sorry I haven't been on in ages but I have a quickie question. People say they used BSG to get their public liability insurance, could someone send me a link to their address or something because no matter how I google it, nothing is coming up. Could anyone recommend a good company to cover for public liability that covers the product for food poisoning and all that stuff please? I'm going out of my mind trying to search!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2309 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfancy

try as I might my standard buttercream always ends up slightly gritty. No one has ever complained other than my best critic (my hubby). I have made the swiss meringue butter cream and that is beautiful, but not sure its stable enough for torting stacking cakes, also has a shorter shelf life once made so not ideal for big cakes. Has anyone got a foolproof uk buttercream recipe as all the ones I find on here have crisco and meringue powder etc in them.

thanks in anticipation

I use IMBC in all my cakes. How long do you need it to sit out for? I've had IMBC at room temp for a week and it has been fine. I use it as the buttercream inside all my cakes. So long as you put a dam (I use ganache as my dam and outside coating) it won't squidge out the sides.

Instead of crisco you can use Trex or Cookeen and they sell meringue powder on The Cake Decorating Company's website.

Regarding the grit in your usually buttercream, how long do you whip the butter for before adding the icing sugar? and do you sift your icing sugar?

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2310 of 25877

Sam here is the link for BSG insurance http://www.bsguk.org/services.html#insurance icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%