A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:06pm
post #21841 of 25877

Hi all,

I don't have time to catch up but was wondering if anyone can advice. I'm making a handbag cake. It will be 8" wide and 7.5" tall (or more- not sure right now). It will be 4 inches deep.

The customer might pick it up- he hasn't responded to my message to say that I can deliver if he likes. In case he picks it up, I want to make sure the cake is sturdy. Should I centre dowel? Or is the cake deep enough to be stable on its own?

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:08pm
post #21842 of 25877

Afternoon all {runs in shouting} "what av i missed?" :D

Aww thanks for all the bus love guys x i actually really enjoyed making that!

Kathy.....brilliant news about the Mr :-D

Maisie.. are you feeling better now ?

Nanny! That cake looks fab! and even if they do sticky a squatty fat duo on top it'll still look fab! :lol:

Suzanne did you find your shell?

cant remember whos mums not well but hope shes better soon! ....Amber is fine now and went back to school today.

Ive been playing with my Agbay today too :D...the result.....two perfectly level and lovely tall crumbcoated cakes chilling out ;-D

Can't remember who mentioned pneumonia but :(...never ever want that again! It got me when i was 7 months preggars with Amber and literally nearly finished me off! Vicar at hospital bedside the works :-t...everyone thought my number was up but here I am annoying you lovely lot :-D 

Oh the facebook happenings....yup well lets just say it was ridiculous shall we and leave it there...but I did let them all know how wrong it was and quite a few left after messaging me that they were disgusted by it...and I did tell them that it made me want to start a sensible group of my own. Kelsey got wind of it all and messaged me to join in and we are now going to start some kind of mafia group for cake makers :lol:......................................I have no idea haha! :???:

Lots of newbies on here lately....hi all :-D

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:10pm
post #21843 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Hi all,

I don't have time to catch up but was wondering if anyone can advice. I'm making a handbag cake. It will be 8" wide and 7.5" tall (or more- not sure right now). It will be 4 inches deep.

The customer might pick it up- he hasn't responded to my message to say that I can deliver if he likes. In case he picks it up, I want to make sure the cake is sturdy. Should I centre dowel? Or is the cake deep enough to be stable on its own?

Ive never dowelled mine.....not sure that actually helps though :smile:

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:15pm
post #21844 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

Afternoon all {runs in shouting} "what av i missed?" :D

Aww thanks for all the bus love guys x i actually really enjoyed making that!

Now that can't be misconstrued at all  :-X hahaha

petitecat Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:25pm
post #21845 of 25877

Quote:

Ive never dowelled mine.....not sure that actually helps though :smile:

Was your cake quite deep? i'm wondering whether a load of royal icing will be enough glue mine down.

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:29pm
post #21846 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siany01 

Now that can't be misconstrued at all  :-X hahaha

bahaha! Thats it Siany...you start em all off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Was your cake quite deep? i'm wondering whether a load of royal icing will be enough glue mine down.

It was yes 

The bags I do are all about 5 - 6"

petitecat Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:31pm
post #21847 of 25877

Quote:

bahaha! Thats it Siany...you start em all off!

It was yes 

The bags I do are all about 5 - 6"

Lovely bag- reallly nice shade of blue! Think I'll centre dowel...

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:39pm
post #21848 of 25877

AWow that bag cake is lovely

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:48pm
post #21849 of 25877

AHello. :-)

Haven't caught up properly, I will later, I'm just bursting to tell someone! I had a lovely time this afternoon. I started off thinking "oh no, what have I done!" But then the kids started coming in and I was too busy to worry. Or think. Or breathe! :-D

It was hectic, I'm aching all over, I've got a headache and a renewed admiration for those teachers. I'll never moan cos they lose a glove/hat/coat/jumper/shoe/pair of glasses again. I left Leah's jumper there and I only had one to sort out and bring home!

I had the most amazing couple of hours, the kids worked so hard and were so proud of their cakes. One of the boys worked out how much icing sugar they needed if they had to have double the amount of butter, then we had to wait while he went and told every member of staff before we could carry on. One of the girls fell in love with my hydrangea cutter, I showed her what to do and she did it again and again until she got it right. She made four in an hour, she brought them to show me and I could've cried! I could go on all day but I'd better get dinner on I s'pose. I took a photo of their creations to show you. :-) [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3308434/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:51pm
post #21850 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Hello. icon_smile.gif

Haven't caught up properly, I will later, I'm just bursting to tell someone!
I had a lovely time this afternoon. I started off thinking "oh no, what have I done!" But then the kids started coming in and I was too busy to worry. Or think. Or breathe! icon_biggrin.gif

It was hectic, I'm aching all over, I've got a headache and a renewed admiration for those teachers. I'll never moan cos they lose a glove/hat/coat/jumper/shoe/pair of glasses again. I left Leah's jumper there and I only had one to sort out and bring home!

I had the most amazing couple of hours, the kids worked so hard and were so proud of their cakes. One of the boys worked out how much icing sugar they needed if they had to have double the amount of butter, then we had to wait while he went and told every member of staff before we could carry on. One of the girls fell in love with my hydrangea cutter, I showed her what to do and she did it again and again until she got it right. She made four in an hour, she brought them to show me and I could've cried! I could go on all day but I'd better get dinner on I s'pose. I took a photo of their creations to show you. icon_smile.gif

Aww Maisie thats lovely! Is this what you were nervous about earlier then? and the cakes are so sweet, i am not surpised they enjoyed it...and you :-D

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:52pm
post #21851 of 25877

A[@]maisie73[/@] knew you would love it

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:52pm
post #21852 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle 

I must admit I was nervous about posting on here the first time incase you guys were like that but it's safe to say none if you are and you are all the best bunch of cakers I have ever met (well chatted to online but you know what I mean lol)

yep we are a strange but lovely bunch of weirdos :lol:

petitecat Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 4:53pm
post #21853 of 25877

Maisie, did you do a cupcake class at Leah's school? I'm not surprised they're a happy bunch!

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:12pm
post #21854 of 25877

{runs back in}

:o who would buy this if I added it to the shop? :grin:

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:27pm
post #21855 of 25877

My alligator impression mat just arrived!

Quote:

{runs back in}

:o who would buy this if I added it to the shop? :grin:

Seriously?  You can't get that stuff - I tried to get a route into the company (they are a client) but to no avail.  I'm interested but not sure how much.

Maisie - that's so lovely!  I bet you are happy tired though.  Such a lovely experience.  When are you doing it again?  (I know you will).

Sorry Mel -thought you were in NY.....(my memory these days is shocking).

Roxy (it probably wasn't you - see above comment) I got my alligator impression mat.  It's not too bad.  Looks nothing like the photo.  I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Kathy

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:34pm
post #21856 of 25877

ATiddy can I be thick but what is it lol

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:39pm
post #21857 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle 

Tiddy can I be thick but what is it lol
nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:50pm
post #21858 of 25877

AWill it be big bucks tidds?

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:51pm
post #21859 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Tiddylicious

yep we are a strange but lovely bunch of weirdos :lol:

Speak for yourself and your bus love :D

Original message sent by Tiddylicious

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3308435/] [/URL] {runs back in} :o  who would buy this if I added it to the shop? :D

I'd like to try it but it would need to be flaming amazing for me to justify the price of it. I would like to try though.

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:52pm
post #21860 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook121 

Will it be big bucks tidds?

nope! :-D

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 5:58pm
post #21861 of 25877

AHow many posts?!? I've only been away less than a day, where are my chatty pills!! Ok, I'm getting a notepad and then I'll be back...........and not in a Terminator kind of way....!

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:06pm
post #21862 of 25877

AThanks tiddy it sounds great

nannycook121 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:08pm
post #21863 of 25877

AWell you just let me know then tidds.

Maisie, you feel better now? You all had a good day then by the sound of it?

Mel37 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:30pm
post #21864 of 25877

AOk, think I've caught up again (haha) so here I go:

Kuuushi, hurrah for your new car! My sister had a Yaris, they are great fun! Hows the new business start up going! What about shortening UK Bakers Clan, to just The Cake Clan? :)

Suzanne, I hope you sorted your airbrush out (although I love the effect it made on the surfboard!) :) And I sent the Finding Fairies your way, I hope they tracked the shell moulds down x

Slice, no problem. I found all the officials I had to contact all very nice and helpful, and not scary at all so it's always worth asking for their help.

Hi Maisie *waves* What a fab afternoon to have, sounds like it was a huge success, you should definitely go again if they ask you, what a wonderful way to spend the day!

Lizzy, ha ha I was going to update about me but it was getting so long I stopped yapping! Oh dear re 'you know who' :/ *hugs*

Siany, ooowch poor you! I hope it gets better soon! Does keeping warm help? I know my back always plays up more when it's cold, most winters I spend my life wrapped in scarves!

Kathy, LOL I wish I was in NY, I think Sugarluva is there. In your defence though I was talking about it, as we went last year :)

Loubee, hope your tooth feels better soon! How was your day as Cinderella?!

Roxy, good luck with the Frozen cake!

Lynne, wow your house must have smelled amazing this weekend! Sorry your Mums still poorly, and your poor little puss cat! *hugs* Not nice when they get old and ill. Ours is 18, hyperthyroid with liver, kidney and joint issues bless her! She will still yell at me if dinners not on the table in time though :D

Nanny, that's a really pretty cake, love the gerberas! I've just ordered some more cake lace, and the sequin mat for a cake I've got coming up, suddenly realised I have no idea how I'll store them though once made as I need a lot!!

Jean, I used two of the thin plastic dowels in my handbags and stuck the cake down with ganache as I was paranoid it would fall over, especially if a cake muggle had to drive with it!

Ok, think that's it. I'm off to make some dinner and then I'll pop back :) xx

Mel37 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:34pm
post #21865 of 25877

AOh and Tiddy, sorry! Don't know how I missed mentioning that your bus is brilliant!! And I'd definitely order some of that to try it out, if it's not an arm-and-a-leg! :-D

lellylemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lellylemondrop Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:43pm
post #21866 of 25877

AHi Everyone, I have been stalking this thread since page 200, so quite a long time, I feel like i 'know' you all personally lol..

I purposely haven't posted as I'm only a hobby baker and that's only for family as a gift, and feel somewhat cheeky to join in. You are all so talented and have produced some amazing cakes. I have learnt such a lot from everybody, so I'd like to say thanks!:)

[IMG ALT="Elsa cake for my grandaughters 6th birthday."]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3304966/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

This is my latest cake, took me hours to do Elsa but my granddaughter loved her.

nannycook121 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:47pm
post #21867 of 25877

AHi lelly, your welcome on here as much as anyone. That's such a sweet cake and I bet your grandaughter loved it.

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:00pm
post #21868 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by lellylemondrop 

Hi Everyone,
I have been stalking this thread since page 200, so quite a long time, I feel like i 'know' you all personally lol..

I purposely haven't posted as I'm only a hobby baker and that's only for family as a gift, and feel somewhat cheeky to join in. You are all so talented and have produced some amazing cakes. I have learnt such a lot from everybody, so I'd like to say thanks!icon_smile.gif

Elsa cake for my grandaughters 6th birthday.

This is my latest cake, took me hours to do Elsa but my granddaughter loved her.

Hi Lelly :-D thats a lovely cake!

There are no rules as to who can join in here ;-Dincluding hobby bakers :) but do me a favour and dont say "i'm only" as it makes me go all ninja :lol: we all need help and we all suffer the pitfalls of elephant skin and bulges (and that includes the cakes) haha! Its a pet hate of mine...like your less important and you're not.

We all started off the same way and who knows where it may take you :-D

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:22pm
post #21869 of 25877

AI love the frozen cake lelly, welcome to the thread

lellylemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lellylemondrop Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:28pm
post #21870 of 25877

AAw thanks Nanny, chezzabelle and tiddy for the warm welcome, and I will refrain from saying 'I'm only' ..... Well I'll try lol....:grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%