A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:31pm
post #21781 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Can anyone offer some advice re airbrushes? I have one... I bought it second hand from a cake-acquaintance. I presume the quality is more to do with the brush-end of things rather than the generator? I confess I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with it... but the finish it gives is SOOOO splattery. Rather than a lovely even finish (no matter how close or far I am) it spatters. Any ideas? I don't know what air-brush gun bit it is, but perhaps I should invest in a new one (keeping the generator?)

Over filling the reservoir can also cause splattering. You can also run vodka through iy to clean it out.

Original message sent by kuuushi

Suze, if it's splattering you need to give it a good clean.

Run some hot water through it, or if you have it, airbrush cleaner and that should stop the splattering :) 

I don't know why I got quote in this but I should still say hi to the Mafia boss now I'm here :)

Original message sent by Slice of Heaven

Hi Mel37 - Thanks for the labelling info - great feedback - very helpful. 

Can I clarify with the buttercream comment that I made earlier. I am fully aware that nearly all bakers use a 1:2 ratio and also that nearly all bakers use butter instead of margarine and that this seems to be the norm in cake world. Even Mary Berry does too, so I am not professing to know any better - please don't get me wrong - I am just happy and so are my customers with Debbie Brown's buttercream recipe and it works for us. 

Btw - having never been to CI before - that Cake Stackers webpage looks pretty good - has anyone here tried using the cake stackers method. We have our first wedding cake mid December and thought it may be a good idea ! 

Chris aka Slice

It looks really good. If you go to their website there is a demo video that shows how easy it is and how it works.

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:33pm
post #21782 of 25877

oh for goodness sake the grief i've had with my phone! grrr!

The bus has finally arrived!

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:39pm
post #21783 of 25877

AOh that's so good tidds, you pleased with it.?

Tiddylicious Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:41pm
post #21784 of 25877

I am Nanny! just wish my camera was working grrr! will try and get some nicer ones tomorrow :-D

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:25am
post #21785 of 25877

AMorning all. I think I've missed quite a lot. Mafia? ?? What's been going on?

Hi Mel! Weren't you in NY? Sorry got a terrible memory.

Suzanne - I got an airbrush cleaner for mine but the ingredients are strange - I think it's made from cornstarch. Anyway I haven't needed it yet. I quite like the spatter!

Will try to catch up later. Kathy

Siany01 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:58am
post #21786 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

You can definitely get away with that Suzanne, it looks like it's a very technically tricky effect!

We have a brilliant airbrushing shop near us (I really want to do one of their classes) and the chap there told me that Iwata is the best for cake work. Apparently there are different ones for different applications. Who knew eh? I just have one on my wish list as they're about £100 each - I figure if I ever take the classes and work out how to airbrush well it'll be worth it, but right now it would be like giving a monkey an expensive toy :lol:

What's wrong with your leg Siany (of you don't mind me asking)? It sounds pretty nasty if you've had it for that long and are having contrast mri's :-(

Hi Mel! How're you? You did a great big post and didn'tsay what you'd been up to :-) Builders are an off topic for me - after tonight's email we may be looking at court :mad:

Don't mind you asking Liz, I hurt it last year doing excercise. I became a right gym monkey last year and I loved it, I could run 6k's I could deadlift 60kgs I was strong and fit. Then, bam, leg hurt. Didn't realise at the time it would take me out for a whole year, mind the drs are rubbish and only see me every 12 weeks :/. So in the last year I have got fat, unfit and can't sleep coz it hurts all the time. I can't wait for it to be sorted.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 6:58am
post #21787 of 25877

ATiddy great cake as always

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:12am
post #21788 of 25877

AThanks chezza.

I love the way it looks the effect on the skateboard suzanne, airbrushing scares me a little, lol.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:43am
post #21789 of 25877

Morning all :smile:

Tiddy love the bus cake it turned out great.

:ouch: Siany sounds very painful you poor thing.

Kathy I think it's Sugarluva that's in New York.

Hope everyone is ok today

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:48am
post #21790 of 25877

ALove the bus cake Tiddy, so detailed and fabulous.

Loving our new cakey name Kuuushi.

I still haven't started my Xmas cake, I've just been so busy with work, studying and life in general. My plan tonight is to bake the cake hopefully. Need to find my big deep cake tins though as I never use them and they're languishing at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Kathy sorry meant to say in my last reply that its fab news about your husband getting the all clear.

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 7:57am
post #21791 of 25877

ARoxy I'm on but I'm in pain with some sort of monstrosity in my mouth it's a swollen lump and it's had me waking up a few times in the night. My mouth feels swollen on one side, I think it's to do with my wisdom tooth as its in that area. I'm a trooper though us women are aren't we, we carry on regardless. Manic week this week as its Christmas art week plus Christmas play rehearsal plus I have to dress as Cinderella today for a castle party - just a regular day in the office/classroom. Lol.

roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 8:00am
post #21792 of 25877

:ouch: Sounds painful Loubee and like you need to visit the dentist, you might need antibiotics for that. You will probably do what I do though and put it off until you are in that much pain you have no choice as there is always so many other things to do instead.

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 8:16am
post #21793 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Loubee

Roxy I'm on but I'm in pain with some sort of monstrosity in my mouth it's a swollen lump and it's had me waking up a few times in the night. My mouth feels swollen on one side, I think it's to do with my wisdom tooth as its in that area. I'm a trooper though us women are aren't we, we carry on regardless. Manic week this week as its Christmas art week plus Christmas play rehearsal plus I have to dress as Cinderella today for a castle party - just a regular day in the office/classroom. Lol.

That sounds painful, take some ibprofen to try and help with the swelling hope you feel better soon

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 8:36am
post #21794 of 25877

ABusy day today but I just had to say AMAZING cake Andrea!!!!

roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:10am
post #21795 of 25877

My cake is in the oven for my mums frozen birthday cake, need to bake another one after that for the top tier. I'm not very organised this year its so unlike me I haven't even bought her birthday card yet and her birthday is on saturday, I normally have it in a couple of months before. I am hoping to go and get my new bed and bedroom furniture later today if my brother is not busy so he can get it in his van. I can't wait this bed is literally falling apart.

Chezza why are you dreading doing the blue buttercream for your cupcakes?

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:32am
post #21796 of 25877

A[@]roxylee123[/@] cos they want blue and cream two tone but I am worried the blue won't turn out how I want it

roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:34am
post #21797 of 25877

I'm sure it will be fine Chezza I've never had any problems colouring buttercream blue and I've used the asda food colours and even with them it coloured well.

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:38am
post #21798 of 25877

AHope so I used navy paste (to get a medium blue for the sugarpaste) so hoping I can get the same colour blue (or close as I can) buttercream using the navy paste again

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:41am
post #21799 of 25877

AMorning. :-)

Loubee I'm going to be a hypocrite and tell you you really should go to the dentist. But I'm also going to tell you about oraljel. It's brilliant, I had a big lump around my tooth a few weeks ago, my jaw and gland were swollen too. The one free day I had that week I couldn't get an appointment so I went to the chemist and that's what they gave me. I rubbed some on and it was bliss! Completely numbed it but didn't make me drool! :-D

Omg tiddy I love the bus! I so wasn't expecting that! I don't know why but I was imagining a red one and it's a proper little Bridgend one! It's brilliant! I bet you get more orders for that when people see it!

Suzanne I think the skateboard is absolutely get away withable. It looks like that's how it's meant to be. :-)

Sorry if I've missed anyone. I'm a lot nervous this morning!

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:42am
post #21800 of 25877

ARoxy have you seen the frozen cards in the shops?

roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:43am
post #21801 of 25877

No I haven't even looked yet Maisie but will have a look when I go shopping in the next couple of days thanks

chezzabelle Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:45am
post #21802 of 25877

AMaisie why you nervous?

roxylee123 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 9:49am
post #21803 of 25877

Sorry I missed that Maisie what's up why are you nervous?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:03am
post #21804 of 25877

If you could all say a little prayer to the cake gods or have a word with the cake fairies to help me find the brand new, still in its packet sea shell mould that was delivered last week, I'd be ever so grateful.

I've looked.

Hubby's looked.

I'm now starting to wonder whether it may have been thrown away (in the envelope it was delivered it)...  when my boys help to 'tidy' if it's not 110% obvious what it is or where it goes, there's the risk they bin it.  I'd like to think it was a bit obvious there was something in the envelope so that that's not the case - and I've just put it somewhere really safe.  But it's safe enough now and I need to find it again.  Today!!!!!  :-x:cry::cry:

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:11am
post #21805 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Omg tiddy I love the bus! I so wasn't expecting that! I don't know why but I was imagining a red one and it's a proper little Bridgend one! It's brilliant! I bet you get more orders for that when people see it!

Sorry if I've missed anyone. I'm a lot nervous this morning!

Aww thanks Maisie! Nice to have a welshy say that :-D Just got some slightly better pictures and have sent one to the customer.

Why you feeling nervous Maisie?

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:14am
post #21806 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Busy day today but I just had to say AMAZING cake Andrea!!!!

Thanks Gray :grin:

Now off to do a two tier bright hatbox jobby :???:

Siany01 Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:21am
post #21807 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Tiddylicious

Aww thanks Maisie! Nice to have a welshy say that :D  Just got some slightly better pictures and have sent one to the customer.

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3308377/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3308378/] [/URL]

Why you feeling nervous Maisie?

Tiddy that's freaking amazing. My Dad used to drive those haha :)

Tiddylicious Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:25am
post #21808 of 25877

Did he? haha! yay I got it right then! I am happy now :-D

Ive never been on one and dont really take much notice of them. Must be 20+ years since i stepped on a bus :lol:

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:29am
post #21809 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siany01 

Don't mind you asking Liz, I hurt it last year doing excercise. I became a right gym monkey last year and I loved it, I could run 6k's I could deadlift 60kgs I was strong and fit. Then, bam, leg hurt. Didn't realise at the time it would take me out for a whole year, mind the drs are rubbish and only see me every 12 weeks :/. So in the last year I have got fat, unfit and can't sleep coz it hurts all the time. I can't wait for it to be sorted.

You're me! I was reaching my 100kg deadlift (I'm very proud of this as you can probably tell) and squatting well over my body weight and I was swimming and running and I managed a pull up (another big deal for me as I have the upper body strength of a little girl which isn't so surprising as I am a girl). Then bam I developed a serious case of pneumonia. Apparently I had for about two weeks without noticing if such a thing is possible! I was in hospital for a few days and was very weak for a long time. I also developed pleurisy in the upper section of my left lung which made it hurt to breathe for the first few months and then exercise would make it hurt more. It was a really long time before I could start working out again. I'm inherently a lazy person so it took a lot to get back to my normal fitness level. I really feel for you as your leg is clearly holding you back for longer but just remember it'll be worth it in the end. And that there is an end!

I still can't do 2 pull ups by the way. I can barely manage 1. It'll be a while before I work that up again. Right now I'm focussing on Insanity to get rid of the fat I gained while sitting on my arse.

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 26 Nov 2014 , 10:33am
post #21810 of 25877
@Tiddylicious Your bus looks incredible! I love the cake board and all those extra details too.
@Relznik Your surfboard looks like it's just been in the water! Perfect! I hope you find your shell soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%