A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 10:59pm
post #19381 of 25877

Ohhh Happy Bornday Eve Loubee :-D

Please don't encourage him! He thinks its a brilliant idea!

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 11:00pm
post #19382 of 25877

APMSL

Tiddylicious Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 11:02pm
post #19383 of 25877

:lol::lol::lol:

Miapie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miapie Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 11:18pm
post #19384 of 25877

AHi all. New to cake central. Never posted before. I'm a uk baker looking for somewhere to get advice and ideas - hoping you guys can help :) Just finished this cake yesterday - turned out well I think, customer was pleased at least! I have a v small business and looking to grow it so support and advice very welcome x[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3296024/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Tiddylicious Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 11:35pm
post #19385 of 25877

Hi Miapie, welcome to CC :-D

I was just about to log off and saw you pop up so forgive the fast reply but I will catch up properly tomorrow :)

Fab cake!

You are in the right place for lots of good advice and friendly chat here :)

Where abouts are you based? We are all over the UK here.....I am in South Wales but am a London girl :smile:

I started my business just under a year ago and its just gone crazy very fast without me really noticing!

Anyway fab too see you here and look forward to hearing more from you and seeing more of your work :)

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 5:48am
post #19386 of 25877

AHi miapie, welcome, fab cake. I'm from S,Wales too, about 4 of us I think. You'll love these guys! They've been best buddies for some time now.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 8:51am
post #19387 of 25877

ABoo

Sorry been totally absent. Got myself lost in the world of books for the last week. Don't you just love it when that happens :)

Going to try and catch up but you lot can talk for England haha. Went clay pigeon shooting yesterday and it's so much fun, I you haven't already done it you should, it's ace. I'm battered today though as had no sleep due to my leg playing up.

Got to redo letters for a charity cake I had cut out by hand as my husband knocked them all over the floor. I'm still not really speaking to him lol

Right going to try to catch up with everyone later today.

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 11:04am
post #19388 of 25877

AWelcomed miapie I've only been here a couple of weeks but everyone is so kind and friendly. Your cake looks lovely. My business is very small I haven't actually had any paying orders bar family yet but I'm sure I'll get there.

I'm currently covered in melted chocolate which is no good when I'm dieting. Need to go and get dressed as I've run out of icing sugar, which is annoying as I went out last night to get caster sugar but didn't realise I didn't have enough icing sugar. So annoying.

Loubee Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 11:04am
post #19389 of 25877

ASiany oh no about your husband and the letters. Hope it doesn't take you too long to re do them.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 1:02pm
post #19390 of 25877

Welcome Miapie!  Happy birthday Loubee!  Hi Sian - I did wonder where you were - I keep saying I am gonna catch up but it's impossible so I'm pretty sure I've left loads of you out.  Welcome back Kelsey!!  Looking forward to hearing about Rome.  Tiddy!!!!  No!!!  It is funny though.  M4rvel - how are you today?  I know that you were down on yourself but it was such an unusual cake - we all thought it was brilliant.

Suzanne - how was the party???

Can report back that Oven Mate is my new friend! ;)

Happy Sunday everyone despite my free PB videos now having finished :(

Kathy

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 1:13pm
post #19391 of 25877

AHaven't got time to read and catch up as just wanted to ask a quick question, where do you all buy your sugarpaste I need to get some renshaw navy blue 500g packs but my local cake shop is out of stock but didn't know the best place to buy online any advice?? Found some on party animal but have never brought edibles from them before

Miapie Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:31pm
post #19392 of 25877

AI'm from Hertfordshire - any one ekse on here from my neck of the woods? Chezzabelle - hobbycraft sell renshaws in store and on line I think.

Miapie Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:32pm
post #19393 of 25877

AOr cakecraftworld?

Loubee Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:57pm
post #19394 of 25877

AI always use cakecraftshop which is part of cakecraftworld I think. Also use hobbycraft when desperate and don't have time to wait for an online order.

Thank you for the birthday wishes Kathy.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:58pm
post #19395 of 25877

AHi all!

Lovely cakes Suzanne, always so polished!

Welcome Mia pie and lovely cake :)

Welcome back Kuuushi!

Loving all the castle turret stories and naughty hubbies LOL

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:05pm
post #19396 of 25877

AHappy birthday loubee.

Hang on,what cake? Did I miss mapie's cake?

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:14pm
post #19397 of 25877

AHappy birthday Loubee :D

Miapie....I'm in Letchworth....shops are a little limited around here though....Caketopia (in the green arcade) in Letchworth was either closed or closed for renovations. The Old Town Stevenage shop is quite small and has moved to next to the model train shop sort of across the road from Waitrose. There is a Hobbycraft in Roaring Meg in Stevenage too. Then there is the Sugar Smith shop in Hertford...lovely shop . I also found a little man on Hitchin market that does cake boards and boxes reasonably too.

To be honest I wait for a big shop to go to Chesterfield in Derbys near my Mum's as it is the hugest cake dec shop I've been in...probably got the floor space of a small supermarket!!

Miapie Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:20pm
post #19398 of 25877

AWow - I'd be in my element in a cake decorating shop as big as a supermarket. My husband would be immensely bored and miserable tho! Thanks for the local info Spireite!

I started about 2 years ago but hadn't been doing it long then took a year out when I had my littlest girl. Started back up again about 5 months ago and it's going ok. Pricing is a nightmare - I hate quoting to people, my husband says I underquote because I'm too scared to ask for more!!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 4:35pm
post #19399 of 25877

Oh Spireite - where is this cake supermarket?  I feel a trip coming......:-D

Miapie - I think all our other halves say the same about pricing tbh! 

Maisie - how are you feeling today - forgot to ask earlier sorry.

Kathy

Miapie Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 4:47pm
post #19400 of 25877

ADayscakes - that's good to know! Not just my hubbie then!

Got an order for Friday to get making flowers for, I love them when they're on the cake but find it very repetitive making them. Thankfully not too many for this cake!

I've had lemon and poppyseed cake requested. Anyone got a recipe they love? Not done a lemon and poppyseed for a customer before.

Spireite Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 4:52pm
post #19401 of 25877

Ahttp://crazyaboutcakecraft.co.uk/

Here is their website...but I just love to go there and 'wander'. It's in Chesterfield near the registry office on Beetwell Street.

Luckily I'm not in business...so don't have to worry about pricing.

petitecat Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 5:14pm
post #19402 of 25877

Loubee, Happy birthday!

petitecat Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 5:18pm
post #19403 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miapie 

I've had lemon and poppyseed cake requested. Anyone got a recipe they love? Not done a lemon and poppyseed for a customer before.

Miapie, as a rule I don't offer to make cakes that I have never tried and tested before. If it doesn't come out right and the customer isn't happy, it might create problems for my cake business. 

Spireite Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:10pm
post #19404 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miapie 

Dayscakes - that's good to know! Not just my hubbie then!

I generally use Delia for lemon cake....she actually states at the end of the recipe that the poppy seeds are optional, as I don't do seeds and nuts.

I have a pale blue hard backed book of hers called 'cakes'

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:42pm
post #19405 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Miapie

I'm from Hertfordshire - any one ekse on here from my neck of the woods? Chezzabelle - hobbycraft sell renshaws in store and on line I think.

Hi, I'm Herts/Beds border so near you :)

Original message sent by Miapie

Dayscakes - that's good to know! Not just my hubbie then!

Got an order for Friday to get making flowers for, I love them when they're on the cake but find it very repetitive making them. Thankfully not too many for this cake!

Make sure you soak the poppyseeds In milk for about 15 mins before using as they are a bit hard otherwise. Use a muslin cloth to drain them or a tea strainer.

chezzabelle Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:56pm
post #19406 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Loubee

I always use cakecraftshop which is part of cakecraftworld I think. Also use hobbycraft when desperate and don't have time to wait for an online order.

Thank you for the birthday wishes Kathy.

The delivery is quite high

petitecat Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 7:24pm
post #19407 of 25877

A[quote name="chezzabelle" url="/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/19380#post_7556358"] The delivery is quite high

chezzabelle Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 7:36pm
post #19408 of 25877

A

Original message sent by petitecat

Chezzabelle, the greatcakewarehouse shipping is 2.95. I think its a pretty fair price. Buy a couple ofpacks of SP & maybe some other stuff to mske it worthwhil :)

Will have a look, delivery was like £6 on the other site

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 7:47pm
post #19409 of 25877

AHi All

Sooooo what a truly exhausting week I've had ! Sorry I haven't had to time really to be in here, had a horrid week at work again and then the cake madness began !

Thanks to some help from a certain foxy roxy I managed to pull off the disco cake !! Then my friend sprung it on my that he was going to buy his wife a Colin the caterpillar from asda for her 40th - oh no your not I cried !!! So after finishing the disco cake straight onto the other, it's my first attempt at a bow so won't be offended of you think it's naff lol.

Hope everyone good ? Kelsey how was your hols ? Sugarluva have you gone on yours yet ? If so happy hols.

Welcome to the thread Mia pie, lovely cake !

Marvel bless you I thought my rubbix cube was a sticky yucky mess too so I feel your pain ! Your cakes are great though - and I love that dragon lol :-)

Relznik your cakes are lovely too.

Maisie hope you and your mum are ok now ??

Hi to everyone else I've missed ;-)

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3296335/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3296336/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Happy birthday loubee xx

petitecat Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 8:07pm
post #19410 of 25877

AJo those are fab cakes. I especially like the roller blades :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%