A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 12:56pm
post #18031 of 25877

Uh I just remembered someone mentioned (sorry can't rememebr who) Transformers buttercream transfer, havent' seen that one and never tried these kinds of transfers before. I saw a tuturial, looks complicated!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:12pm
post #18032 of 25877

Woah - even I could do a smiley face for that!  But the portion sizes .....flippin' eck.  I think it's interesting though to see what's "out" there - the one I posted isn't central London but I can see that their van does deliveries within the M25 for £14.50 and some of their work is very nice.  I'm not panning it - I just thought it seemed expensive but then I am out of touch I suppose.  However, Jane Asher is central London and I'm guessing that the clientele are not the sort of people who I would come into contact with!  Still.....interesting.  (Phew - you've all stopped talking about my bag - thank goodness!  Lol.)

Kathy

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:24pm
post #18033 of 25877

Sod the price of the smiley face, what the hell is a Pre-Birthday???

I really like it Jean :D  Petitecat's brownies -  baddest brownies in the whole damn town :lol:

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:35pm
post #18034 of 25877

AI love the big bad brownies!! ooh a spicy chilli choc one could be 'devilishly bad' :) I think it's a really fun theme! :)

ps... I want pre birthdays now- double cake- double pressies.... it's like birthday-eve!!!

DaysCakes Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 1:39pm
post #18035 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybug78 

Sod the price of the smiley face, what the hell is a Pre-Birthday???

I really like it Jean :D  Petitecat's brownies -  baddest brownies in the whole damn town :lol:

:D imagine how much the actual birthday cake will cost!

Yep - Big Bad Brownie gets my seal of approval Jean - the tag line is a great draw.  I mean - you would want to buy that wouldn't you?

Kathy

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:05pm
post #18036 of 25877

I didn't even notice the 'pre-birthday'...

I wonder...  in some Asian cultures, a first birthday is a HUGE celebration.  And I know when my previous neighbours had their babies (triplets!!!) she was telling us they have a 'ceremony' of some sort where the baby's head is shaved before their first birthday.  Perhaps it could be something along those lines?  Especially as it seems to be an Asian sounding name on the inscription?

But, Kathy, you're right...  Jane Asher is a central London address.  The Cake Store isn't - but they do have some silly prices!

http://www.thecakestore.co.uk/athletics-cake/#.VCLOzOf60TU

This price is about right...  but I don't know if it's just me, but their cakes all lack a 'personal touch' - they feel 'cold' - like no love has gone into them.

http://www.thecakestore.co.uk/england-football-shirt-cake/#.VCLO7ef60TU

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:11pm
post #18037 of 25877

ABlimey you lot can talk! :-D I'll just reply to what's stuck in my head (not much I doubt!) and catch up properly in a bit.

Big bad brownie, I really like it but they'd have to be big. If I saw a sign saying that I'd be expecting bigger than average. If I saw a sign saying that wild horses wouldn't stop me joining the queue!

Love your bag and purse Kathy. I took a quick pic of mine when I saw yours, just got in and emptied it out. I left the ladies things and spare pants to spare m4rvel and Gray, delicate little flowers that they are! [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3288274/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I really need to have a bag clear out, there's a months worth of receipts in there I think! Btw Kathy the little black thing in the bottom left corner is squash. You just squirt it in and add water, no need to carry a big bottle! I was quite surprised I only had normal things in there tbh, there's usually all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff in there.

Poor cat Gray. If he's crying in his sleep he must be suffering. I don't swear much either but stub my toe and I turn the air blue! I've got replacement swear words too Lizzy, fudge is one, buttercream is another, bet you can't guess what they replace?! Leah copies everything, absolutely everything, and she imitates really well so if she went to school swearing they'd know who she got it from! Going to make coffee and see what I haven't remembered.

DaysCakes Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:20pm
post #18038 of 25877

Oh Suzanne - I get what you mean about feeling "the love".

Oh Maisie - your bag is brilliant - I was too shy to show all the receipts that I have dating back to July!  I don't have ladies "things" any more....age is so liberating!  Haha!

Kathy

PS I have used "Sugar" for years!  Everyone knows of course what I really mean.....

maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:29pm
post #18039 of 25877

AOh my giddy aunt! Did anyone else notice that on the smiley face pre birthday cake delivery is extra?!!!!!!!!! I'd want her to bring it herself, sing happy birthday, do a few magic tricks and wash up on her way out for that!

Aw Kathy I just realised what my post sounded like! To everyone except me that is! The spare pants are Disney pants and they're Leah's! I can't believe I forgot it's not normal for people to have knickers in their handbags!

maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:33pm
post #18040 of 25877

ADidn't mean to reply then. I've got one of Jane ashers books, my sister bought it for me one Christmas with a page turned over at the cake she wanted me to make her! It's not a bad book actually, simple, clear instructions and a couple of cakes I'd like to have a go at.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:56pm
post #18041 of 25877

AOmg, dont get me started on Jane Asher‘s cakes, I dont swear alot but FFS, Did you see the half size fire engine?oh my Lord, well I was in a good mood, now I'm not,grrr.

Changing the subject, bags, interesting! One who ventures into a ladies bag is, well just asking for trouble.

Gray, we must have crept downstairs at the same time, woke up got myself all wound up thinking about stupid about work changes, John snoring so pillow and spare blanket in hand and off I go, but then 3.o'clock I was only on here to see if anyone else was up at stupid a clock, and Gray and moggy was!

DaysCakes Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:57pm
post #18042 of 25877

Haha Maisie - this has the potential to go downhill fast!

I had a look at the courses they run.  They have a shoe course for £125 for the day.  I recognised the woman who was running it for them.  I saw her featured in a TV programme called Great Little Britains I think.  It was all about cake making and the Cake International exhibition at ExCel a couple of years ago.  She did this amazing shoe box cake and they disqualified her because they said she hadn't stuck to the rules!  She was really disappointed.  However, she had not been doing cakes for very long and it now seems that she has got a real business going despite the put down at the exhibition.  I also like their manor houses - I am not really knocking the cakes - just flabbergasted at the prices.  That makes me such an amateur - not being confident enough in my own abilities.  I liked the old days.....£3.50 a lb for fruit or sponge!  Lol.

Kathy

Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 2:59pm
post #18043 of 25877

A

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Blimey you lot can talk! icon_biggrin.gif
I'll just reply to what's stuck in my head (not much I doubt!) and catch up properly in a bit.

I left the ladies things and spare pants to spare m4rvel and Gray, delicate little flowers that they are!

Poor cat Gray. If he's crying in his sleep he must be suffering.
I don't swear much either but stub my toe and I turn the air blue! I've got replacement swear words too Lizzy, fudge is one, buttercream is another, bet you can't guess what they replace?! Leah copies everything, absolutely everything, and she imitates really well so if she went to school swearing they'd know who she got it from!
Going to make coffee and see what I haven't remembered.

You're so considerate Maisie thank you! :) it would have taken me a few seconds to connect the lines after seeing disney pants in there and that first impression could have stuck for ever.... I'd have been wondering come CI 'hmmm is it disney today or hello kitty??' :D

My wee old kitty, I think it's stiffness from lying still.... the vet said he can get something like ibruprofen so I'll try him on that for a month see if it helps, and I might give him some cod liver oil too... mostly cos he loves it!!!

talking of replacement swear words... does anyone else use cutesy words in place of derogatory ones?? eg I have moved the tv remote to somewhere mrs Gray can't find it "sweetie, have you seen the remote?" see what she did there??

Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 3:02pm
post #18044 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannycook 

Omg, dont get me started on Jane Asher‘s cakes, I dont swear alot but FFS, Did you see the half size fire engine?oh my Lord, well I was in a good mood, now I'm not,grrr.

Changing the subject, bags, interesting! One who ventures into a ladies bag is, well just asking for trouble.

Gray, we must have crept downstairs at the same time, woke up got myself all wound up thinking about stupid about work changes, John snoring so pillow and spare blanket in hand and off I go, but then 3.o'clock I was only on here to see if anyone else was up at stupid a clock, and Gray and moggy was!

lol I was on too but thought posting would be like playing solo table-tennis!

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 3:07pm
post #18045 of 25877

ASorry, I got as far as maisie's knicker post and now I can't stop laughing. I haven't even managed to read further on yet :lol: :lol:

maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 3:38pm
post #18046 of 25877

ANot Maisie's knickers Lizzy! :-D

Kathy I was gona say good job Grays not around and there he was, like magic!

Gray you are incorrigible! Lmao at "sweetie" our mothers teach us that before we can even speak, it's passed down from generation to generation, unconsciously almost. :-D

Blimey nanny, calm down. What phone did gum paste John get? Oh and your turn to show us what's in your handbag I think.

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 3:43pm
post #18047 of 25877

AHoly sheet!

I charged £65 for my football shirt. Damn, she had it for a steal!

Should have charged £300 and shoved jane ashers website in her face and said but I'm £75 cheaper

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 3:45pm
post #18048 of 25877

AThe Emily? The SMILEY

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:04pm
post #18049 of 25877

AI think one of us should tell a customer that price for a fairly simple cake just to see their reaction!! Gobsmacked.

No Maisie, we didn't get there, besides he isn't talking to me so I thought he can naff off now.

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:07pm
post #18050 of 25877

AThe things you think of at 3 in the morning Gray, everytime I moved my little light would come on, and as I keep telling Ioan its Father Christmas keeping an eye on him, it was almost like he was with me too, scary stuff honestly!

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:08pm
post #18051 of 25877

AMaisie, I feel I need to put some knickers in my bag now you seemed to have started a trend now.

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:14pm
post #18052 of 25877

AOMG you guys crack me up LOL! And we can't even blame Gray for today's change of topic, his halo is still sparkly clean! :grin:

Oh Kathy poor you with your car! I hate stalling when there's a load of traffic! Hope the rest of your day was better :grin:

Gray we got one of these for our creaky moggy, it might help yours? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Q5AF84/?tag=cakecentral-20 It does crinkle a little, but if your cats not worried about noises he should be fine. Ours loves hers, especially in winter as her bed is next to a radiator so she keeps nice and snug! I didn't fancy a plug in one, paranoid about leaving things like that on overnight!

Jean I hope you find your papers, I'm like that but mainly it's worse when DH 'tidies up'! I may be unorganised but I can still find stuff until he gets involved! :grin: Love the name too by the way, and Grays chili choc idea sound yum!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:16pm
post #18053 of 25877

Yay, I've found my food and hygiene cert! One down, one to go...

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Big bad brownie, I really like it but they'd have to be big. If I saw a sign saying that I'd be expecting bigger than average. If I saw a sign saying that wild horses wouldn't stop me joining the queue!

Eek got a dilemma now, keep the 'big bad' and slice the brownies bigger than intended, or change the name to 'bad bad' and keep the original slice sizes?

I know how Maisie feels about this LOL, so anyone else got any thoughts? Bigger than average brownie slices? Or normal slices? Argh can't decide!

maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:34pm
post #18054 of 25877

AOh dear, sorry Jean, didn't mean to put a spanner in your works. x Maybe you could have different sizes and charge accordingly? I still like "big, bad" tho, it would appeal to me and my greedy little piglets!

Oops nanny! What have you done to upset him?! And btw, knickers are not the strangest thing I've ever had in my handbag! Not even two years ago it was adult size nappies. Like I said, I sometimes forget what's normal. :-D

Mel grays halo night be sparkly clean but only cos Mrs Gray polished and buffed it til her arm ached!

Anyone want to see some cakes from jane ashers book?

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 4:47pm
post #18055 of 25877

AMaisie, work is changing and I'm beginning to get stressed a lot I've been there 19 yrs, seen a huge amount of changes, some good some not so good, John knows most of the staff as we've been out on staff parties etc, theres some he likes and some he cannot stand.

Of course when I come home I moan and groan about work and whats about to Helen there, pay I changing, he said he was sick to the back teeth hearing about my stupid shop, I dont blame him, I have no one else to tell tho.

They're cutting our bonus down do told him he had to find a job, needless to say it didn't go down well.

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:25pm
post #18056 of 25877

AOmg you guys crack me up. The knickers in your bag maisie reminds me of the first time we went abroad when I was younger. My mum had put a spare pair in her hand luggage because, ya know, and then she got chosen for a random bag search at security. The male security guard took great pleasure in taking everything out of her bag one by one, examining it, and then putting it on to side... Including her big granny knickers! I've never seen her so embarrassed and I've never laughed so much!

Oh I remember a conversation on here a while back about Jane Ashers cake. I can't believe someone would charge that much but more unbelievably I can't believe people would pay it! I'm sorry but if I ever won the lottery and became and multi millionaire (or should I say when I win the lottery...) I don't care how much money I have but if someone charge £75 for a cake that's just as good there's no way I'm paying £300!

And I don't know about gray's halo still being squeaky clean, I'm sure it must be tilting slightly by now! And as for your old moggy, cod liver oil helps wonders as does heated bedding like someone suggested. I looked after 2 old cats a while back who's owners had built them little stairs everywhere, to get on and off the sofa etc! Very cute but slightly weird. Maybe a project for you? Haha

DaysCakes Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:36pm
post #18057 of 25877

AOh Barbara - that's the same in my house. I've been at my job for 19 years too and sometimes I just want to chuck it all in. I've only got a couple of years before I get my old age pension lol but I get home and rant about the goings on but my husband is long suffering and quite often we fall out because he sees things much more simply than me.

Jean - I agree with maisie - they should be big!!!

Kathy

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:40pm
post #18058 of 25877

ACan I have abit of help cake mates?

Just had an inquiry of a choc Starbucks mug (roundish type) a running figure and 6 cupcakes, I haven't coasted out just a figure before.

She wants a bigger cake for the mug like an 8" so thats not to bad its the figure I need help with, any ideas?

nannycook Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:46pm
post #18059 of 25877

AThe problem I have Kathy is, I went partime knowing obviously I knew I would be losing a fair bit each mth, but on the basis that I get some cake orders, 1 maybe 2 week, we are managing, but if my director does what I've heard on the grapevine he's gonna do and cut our bonus, then will be in deep do do's, as a shop its well paid, the basic is crap but the bonus makes up of it, as its a franchise they can basically do what they want, and he does.

maisie73 Posted 24 Sep 2014 , 5:49pm
post #18060 of 25877

AAw nanny, come and moan to us if it gets too much for john. You know what men are like bless em, they either want to provide solutions for us when all we want to do is moan or we've talked too much about something that's not them! :-D go and make friends with him. Make him a little gum paste phone and arrange another shopping trip.

Lmao sugarluva, I have to say I love big granny knickers, they're not the prettiest but soooo comfortable. Grays halo? Tilting slightly? You're being too kind! I reckon it's slipped so far he's in danger of tripping over it!

"They should be big" - Kathy I thought you were on about knickers for a second, then I realised you were on about brownies! I sometimes forget this is a baking forum! :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%