A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 4:02pm
post #15871 of 25877

ABless, this girl has just come back to me with 'I think you're too good for my price range'. See, now I have to see what I can do for her! It's much easier to say no when people are ar**s about prices!

She's a friend of my neighbour's son so she's only about 17.

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 4:13pm
post #15872 of 25877

AI remember one of you saying that you were near me - well in Hampshire. Who was it? A friend of mine wants a first birthday cake for her son, inspired by these - although I think anyone here could do better (hopes none of these were by any of you):

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3275494/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I am on holiday and everyone I know is either fully booked or away...

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 5:20pm
post #15873 of 25877

Well cake board has been cut and the world hasn't come to an end.......well my daughter's world - it's her cake really. 

Sorry M4rvel - I can't remember who it was - sure somebody will though.  Have a nice holiday!

Kathy

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:14pm
post #15874 of 25877

AOoh I hate lining tins too!! Such a dull faffy job. Like washing up. My first hire will definitely be a washer upper and tin liner LOL!

Erm I think I'd feel the same about a blank catwalk, bit strange!

Hi Gray! Sorry you aren't caking much at the moment, hope you get a chance soon.

Sorry Marvel I'm in Oxfordshire so not close enough :/

Got my tin and my flavours today, managed to stick to my list and not buy any extras too - go me! :-)

Glad you managed to sort your board out Kathy, I've done that before too - very annoying, and always resulted in a mad dash to the cake shop 20 mins away!

Everyone ready for Bake Off? :)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:14pm
post #15875 of 25877

AHi everyone... Today's cake is done and collected. Here is the picture,

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3275509/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

It's for a small wedding only for family, but the bride is having a big party at the end of the month with the same theme but added some frangipani flowers.:-)

I have been making flowers for my wedding fair and for the wedding cake I have next week.

Gray, Is it ok if I nick your idea of the cascading flowers on the square cake you did few weeks ago please? I am doing a three tier cake for the wedding fair.

Mel37 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:16pm
post #15876 of 25877

ALovely cake Bashini! Very pretty, I like the standing up starfish! :)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:29pm
post #15877 of 25877

ABashini, so neat, lovely.

Right yep, all ready, bored today so made Viennese whirls, hairy bikers recipe, did have a teeny tiny one, and if I say it myself, they melt in our mouth.

bashini Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:38pm
post #15878 of 25877

AThanks Mel and Barbara. Actually I forgot to say that the SP I used was from SP direct. As most of you all are using it, I thought I'd give it ago and it was amazing!!! I love it!! Better than Covapaste. I will be using all my Covapaste for the dummies I am making for the fair. :-)

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 6:52pm
post #15879 of 25877

AHi All

So sorry for the delay in posting. Had such a busy couple of weeks and set to get worse with my holiday next Tuesday !

I hope you are all well ? I don't have time to read back but just sifting on this latest page (sorry) Bashini lovely cake as usual :-)

My carrot cake was a huge success I didn't bother decorating it in fondant or anything but it was quote literally the best selling and tasting cake I think I have ever done ! Will attach pics..

BTW I continued my disasters from over mixing in my KA for a few more cakes after my last post ****huffs****. I baked a simple vic sponge with hand folding in the flour and it seemed that was clearly the issue as that one did not sink. Strange how they never did before though ! Anyway can't dwell too much over my poorly bakes otherwise I might just throw the towel in completely lol !!

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 7:47pm
post #15881 of 25877

AHi guys, gorgeous cakes all!

I bet your gutted that you can't slot that one in yourself marvel!

I'm so busy tonight. Baking night!

So far I've baked the tshirt cake, two 8" vanillas and I have two 7" choc mud cake in the oven with two 8" mud cake to follow!

I have the house to myself tonight so I'm blaring Classic FM's power collection. Getting me well in the mood! Hahah

nannycook Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:02pm
post #15882 of 25877

AMmm Jo, shame on you showing me that, looks lush!

Flipping heck Kelsey, one busy lady then?

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm
post #15883 of 25877

Lovely cakes Bashini, your cakes always look so clean and perfect.

Jo, your carrot cake looks awesome.

Hi Gray :)  Very jealous of your decent broadband.  I can only get 8mb here is the back of beyond lol

Maisie, hope you're ok.

M4rvel, sorry I can't help but (random fact) I have noticed that my typing and punctuation have improved since you have been here, I proof read for the teacher :D

Barbara, hope you are healing up.

Lizzy, I think I am a strange person as I don't mind lining my tins.  No, I won't do yours though lol

Are you not watching bake off Kelsey?

I have another quandary for my birthday present.  Hubby has said I can get the Agbay if I want but for the same money I could also do another days course at cake camp and as I am still learning (aren't we always) I don't know if that would be more beneficial to me at the moment.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

nannycook Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:17pm
post #15884 of 25877

AI am thank you Siany, went out today around the shops, I can walk fine it was going up and down the stairs or bending it was the problem, well going to work tomorrow.

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:43pm
post #15885 of 25877

AThe last cakes are in! I've had my own little bake off here in my own house! Haha

Now I'm looking around and I wish I had elves that cleaned for me in the night haha!

Jo Field Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:46pm
post #15886 of 25877

ANanny what have I missed are you ok ??

Hi Siany thanks it was a lovely cake. Cake camp - the way my cakes have been lately they would never let me out lol !

Mel37 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 8:54pm
post #15887 of 25877

AYum Jo that cake looks fab, which recipe was that out of interest?

Wow Kuuushi your kitchen must be boiling lol! Hope they all go ok :)

Glad you are doing ok Nanny, bending will be the sore bit, but it's good to keep it going gently when you can. Does your work let you sit and stand during the day?

Jo Field Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 9:24pm
post #15888 of 25877

AHi Mel :-)

It was Mary Berry ' s carrot cake I just Googled it ! So pleased with it, came out to just below 4" high when put together !

nannycook Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 9:28pm
post #15889 of 25877

AHa ha, just missed me being abit of a dickhead Jo, decided to go out with John on Sun, on our bikes, only 2nd time ever, I mounted the curb and fell off, landed on my knee,got back on then half hr later I bloody fell off again and landed full force on the same knee, on the tarmac, bought the bike down on top , that fell on my backside, fab bruise on that,honestly I only needed to be on candid camera, hurt abit and couldn't bend it, its alot better now though.

Mel, its the type of job where I'm standing and sitting, it was the stairs that worried me, as up and down that 50 times aday, but like I said its alot better day.

Mel37 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:01pm
post #15890 of 25877

AOh might have to give that recipe a go then! Just to see...... :) Hmm if I wait until Suzanne's tested the cream cheese emulsion, if it's good then I can trial them both together....in the interests of product testing only of course....:grin:

Owch, yes that amount of stairs might get uncomfortable :/ Just take it slow and if it gets too sore make sure to stop and rest it x

Just got an amazing present from my MIL as a thank you for her birthday cake and party, she got me the Chantilly lace mat! I mentioned ages ago that I liked that one and apparently she remembered and wanted to get it for me! Sooo pleased! Now I'll have to make another cake to test it out.......!

bashini Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:18pm
post #15891 of 25877

AThanks Jo and Mel.:-)

Jo, your cake looks so yummy!!!! :smile: I love to try all these new flavours, but unfortunately my boys, including my hubby likes only Vanilla sponge!! How boring is that?

Mel, wow!! What a lovely thank you pressie!!! Yes, you have to make another cake to try everything together now!!! :grin:

m4rvelgeek Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:48pm
post #15892 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

The last cakes are in! I've had my own little bake off here in my own house! Haha

Now I'm looking around and I wish I had elves that cleaned for me in the night haha!

I know the feeling! 18 cakes baked today! Although they will all be stacked to make only three... =S

m4rvelgeek Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:50pm
post #15893 of 25877

ATrying to do the toppers for my Vegas themed cupcakes and have had a hissy fit and thrown them all in the bin. They just aren't going right... *cross face*

And my gold edible paint exploded all over my hands and it can only be soaked off with spirits. It's fine leaving brushes in vodka overnight, but my hands?!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:54pm
post #15894 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

I know the feeling! 18 cakes baked today! Although they will all be stacked to make only three... =S

How on earth have you managed to bake that many?????

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 6:34am
post #15895 of 25877

Morning cake mates! Sorry Bashini - I missed your cake yesterday - it's beautiful!

M4rvel- can't wait to see what "Vegas style" toppers look like!

Kathy

Jo Field Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 6:46am
post #15896 of 25877

AMorning all :-)

Oh Nanny that sounds painful poor you !

Thanks Bashini you should def get those boys to try carrot cake most people say they hate the idea of it but the actual taste is great ! Next time I will do it I will try orange buttercream to check it works ok so I know I can cover in sp.

m4rvelgeek Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:13am
post #15897 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

How on earth have you managed to bake that many?????

Non-stop all day. Six layers of lemon, the rest are my trusty vanilla.

Original message sent by DaysCakes

Morning cake mates! Sorry Bashini - I missed your cake yesterday - it's beautiful!

M4rvel- can't wait to see what "Vegas style" toppers look like!

Kathy

I can't wait to see the back of 'em!!! ;)

Lizzybug78 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:30am
post #15898 of 25877

AMorning all!

Everyone's been busy then! I love that wedding cake bashini, it's so simple but really striking.

Your carrot cake looks yummy jo :-) Carrot is one cake I really do enjoy.

Well, I told my 17yo to tell me her budget and I'd try to figure something out for her. Having told her that my minimum is £50, my idea was that I'd do her something worth a bit more but for that price. She's come back to me with a budget of £25 :-/

On the plus side, she's also asked how long they take so at least I can easily explain to her why I can't do it for that price as she's given me an in.

What are you doing for your Vegas style toppers m4rvel? What's causing you problems?

Jo, I thought you might like to know I had a sinking red velvet yesterday. The reason? I think it was the ka. I usually only use it to get to the point of adding the eggs, then I do the rest by hand or with a hand mixer. I was lazy yesterday and did the whole lot in there. It's the only thing I can think of. I'm really peeved with myself as it was a 10" cake so lots of ingredients :-(

Lizzybug78 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:33am
post #15899 of 25877

ASiany, are you sure you wouldn't like to do my tins for me? :-D

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:34am
post #15900 of 25877

AMorning all. What did you all think of GBBO last night?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%