A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 10:57am
post #15811 of 25877

AHi All!

Wow some lovely cakes going on! Looove the superhero one Lizzy, the cape down the back is fab, and the webs are so neat! Love the Moroccan one too, I saw them demo onlays at CI and very nearly got one, but went with cake lace instead. I would love to get one (or 2.....!), I don't have a pasta roller though, would that matter do you think?

Siany the pleats are lovely, so neat! Love the pink too :)

Kuuushi the bows look fab! One tip I have for glittered pieces that are to be removed from cakes is to spray them with PME glaze spray. It seals it all on to your pieces without effecting the glitter, and stops it coming off all over everything when it's touched. Just be careful with the glaze spray and make sure everything is well covered with paper etc as it's a bu88er to clean off!

Relsnik I think a choc cake would be lovely as a gift :) Sorry about your rushed evening though, sounds like something I'd do! :)

Nanny, glad you got yourself checked out, much better to be safe and not have to end up in a foreign hospital! Hope you feel better soon!

I've just been doing some design planning, found this lovely fabric flower technique called kanzashi which I'm itching to try out for a cake, so pretty!

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 10:58am
post #15812 of 25877

AYes its a nice hospital, was in and out in half hr.

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 11:00am
post #15813 of 25877

AThanks Mel.

Whats that then? I haven't heard ofit, sounds fab though.

I need to make cake, getting rusty, 3rd week now without a cake, grrrrr.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 11:01am
post #15814 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Blimey Suzanne you're brave!

No, I'm really nervous!!!!!  I am REALLY, REALLY bad at 'small talk'.  I have no hobbies to speak of.  I don't have a job other than cake making.  I don't have anything much to say!

BUT, I am looking forward to it, LOL!!  Just nervous.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 11:20am
post #15815 of 25877

AHi Maisie!! How are you? Blimey that was a rough call for you at 19 - must have been a right shock.

Barbara - glad you went now? I'm pleased it's just bruising - although bruising is very painful.

Suzanne - the cake sounds like a lovely present - don't worry about small talk - it'll be an ice breaker!:grin: Kathy

Mel37 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 11:36am
post #15816 of 25877

AI'm awful at small talk, rubbish around new people unless I'm talking cake LOL! Hubby is the chatty one out of the two of us :grin: you'll be fine though, I'm always dreading things like that too, but they always end up being fine once the ice is broken (which I am sure the cake will do nicely!) and I have a great time!

I'd never heard if it before this week too Nanny, it's flowers made of folded ribbons - http://www.pinterest.com/dthead/kanzashi-flowers/

Found a few tutorials on YouTube and I think I can convert it to using modelling paste. Might have to have a go later, just to see! They are just too pretty not to!

Gosh Maisie that just have been scary, glad you are ok now! I had repeated issues with my knees when I was younger, dislocated one kneecap about 6 times in my teens, before they decided to operate in it to stop it happening, so I know how uncomfy sore knees are Nanny! Keep it elevated, and the swelling down as much as you can, but keep moving it gently so it doesn't get stiff. x

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:07pm
post #15817 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Not cake related...

We're going to a BBQ at a work colleague/friend of my husband at the end of the month and staying over night.

I've never met them before.

What would you take?  A bottle of plonk doesn't quite seem enough.

I have quite a lot of chocolate cigarellos in stock.  I thought perhaps a choc cake, surrounded by the cigarellos and topped with strawberries?  Can't go too far wrong with that and it's quick and easy....  Is that an acceptable gift, do you think?

Hmm not sure, you should probably send me one to taste test for you :D

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

I eat it if it's for personal use too :-) It's only non edible as it doesn't get digested, but then, neither do corn kernels!

In the big scheme of things a minute amount of plastic isn't going to harm you - after all, how many spiders is it you're meant to eat in your sleep each year? :-D

You make sure you listen to the docs nanny! I'm glad it's not anything serious :-)

I woke up with a spider on my face once at 2 am, didn't believe that thing about eating them till that happened, I do now.

Ribbon flowers are ace. I used them in my art and design section of my city and guilds and my friend is making her own wedding flowers using them.

Siany01 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:09pm
post #15819 of 25877

AOh do you know I saw a tutorial recently for making similar flowers out of sugar so it can be done :)

Siany01 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:10pm
post #15820 of 25877

A

No but let me know how it is as I hate the texture of cream cheese icing.

Mel37 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:12pm
post #15821 of 25877

OMG Siany that would have freaked the bejesus out of me!!! I hate spiders!!! *shivers at the thought*

Sorry I haven't Suzanne, but I'd be interested to know what its like though as I don't offer cream cheese icings because of the fridge aspect! I think that's a US brand isn't it? Maybe someone in the other threads may know about it?

Relznik Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:18pm
post #15822 of 25877
Originally Posted by Mel37 

Sorry I haven't Suzanne, but I'd be interested to know what its like though as I don't offer cream cheese icings because of the fridge aspect! I think that's a US brand isn't it? Maybe someone in the other threads may know about it?

That's a good idea... 

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:32pm
post #15823 of 25877

AOh unicorn poop!

I've just realised (yes just!) that the bows I glittered last night aren't edible. And they were meant for cupcakes. Now wtf am I gonna do? Hahah!

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:38pm
post #15824 of 25877

AWhy aren't they edible Kelsey?what did you make them from?

Relznik Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:46pm
post #15825 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Why aren't they edible Kelsey?what did you make them from?

'Cause she covered them in glitter!

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:52pm
post #15826 of 25877

AWhat isn't it edible glitter?

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 1:52pm
post #15827 of 25877

AA dull question to ask I know.

kuuushi Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:03pm
post #15828 of 25877

ANot dull nanny, glitter isn't technically edible on a cake. This one definitely isn't. If they eat it, either their poo glitters or the inside of their stomach is like a 1970's disco-tech!

DaysCakes Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:04pm
post #15829 of 25877

AI think we're all on glitter alert Barbara! Ever since the EdAble Art fiasco. I did wonder Kelsey - which is why I asked. Still - kids like funny stuff in their poo! Not sure about their mums tho':-D Kathy

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:37pm
post #15830 of 25877

AHa right, I see now.

kuuushi Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 3:24pm
post #15831 of 25877

AWoohoo! Hubby just texted to say my chocolate chips from callebaut have arrived! Good thing too. Need to bake the cakes and cupcakes tomorrow!

That's not too early is it?

Relznik Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 3:34pm
post #15832 of 25877

I ordered the cream cheese emulsion.

I had to order something else from the site, so I thought 'why not try it?'  Worst thing that can happen is that I try it, hate it and have wasted a fiver.  ;)

I'll let you know what I think!!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 6:03pm
post #15833 of 25877

ASuzanne, I haven't tried that but I have the Red Velvet one and it is really nice. :-)

Relznik Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 7:29pm
post #15834 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by bashini 

Suzanne, I haven't tried that but I have the Red Velvet one and it is really nice. icon_smile.gif

Yes, I've used the Red Velvet emulsion and had good feedback.  I'm still a bit 'meh' about it.  I don't dislike it, but I don't see the big deal, LOL!

Will let you know what I think of the cream cheese one. ;)

kuuushi Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 7:44pm
post #15835 of 25877

AUmm... Emulsion?

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:11pm
post #15836 of 25877

Nanny glad you got checked out and it was nothing serious, try and rest it you don't want to be in pain for your hols. when do you go?

Mel I'm sure I have seen kansazhi flowers on a cake make from icing, can't remember where but pretty sure it can be done, look forward to seeing what you make , when is it for?

What is cream cheese and red velvet emulsion, is it like a flavouring?

DaysCakes Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:17pm
post #15837 of 25877

http://www.lorannoils.com/node/181

I have the red velvet and the butter vanilla which is lovely!  I actually put some of the latter into buttercream recently and - sounds odd - but it tasted creamier!

Kathy

roxylee123 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:20pm
post #15838 of 25877

Thanks Kathy, I've never heard of them before. So with the red velvet do you still make a red velvet cake or can you flavour a normal sponge to taste like red velvet?

nannycook Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:39pm
post #15839 of 25877

AHiya Roxy, it isn't for another 2 weeks, so plenty of time to heal up, thankfully.

roxylee123 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:42pm
post #15840 of 25877

That's good Nanny gives you time to rest it then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%