A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:14pm
post #7351 of 25877

AOuch Jean, that was hard! It propelled me from the dining room to the kitchen door! Thank you. :-) I think that's part of the problem, they're so easy I think I don't need to plan or do anything in advance. I'll come a cropper one day though, I'll leave it so late, hit a problem and not have time to fix it. People see a giant cupcake and love it, then when they want a cake its the giant cupcake they remember! They do look lovely I suppose but they're a bit same old, same old to me. Not to the recipient who's never had one though. Haven't got time for a different design now so same old, same old it is! I didn't use plastic cups on my cupcake bouquet BTW, I just toithpicked em straight into the Styrofoam! I didn't mean to imply your cake was simple Jo (yes it was the minecraft cake). I thought it was quite inspired and something I might be capable of! When I look at a cake the first thing I do is just look at it for its own sake, the second thing I do is wonder if I could make it. The answer to the second one is usually a resounding no so I get quite excited if I think it might be yes! :-)

maisie73 Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:18pm
post #7352 of 25877

AToothpicked? I meant cocktail sticked! Yes I am going nuts with this tablet! Off to put the oven on now, byeee, :-)

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:25pm
post #7353 of 25877

AOh @maisie73 I know your weren't referring to it as simple, just compared to Tiddy ' s I personally think it was a simple design ! I can't take credit though as only copied it from a Google search ! I tend to find a theme Google it and go for the simplest version !! Sometimes though it doesn't end up being simple lol x

Wait to see pics of cake Maisie ;-)

Frenchiejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frenchiejo Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:25pm
post #7354 of 25877

ALovely cakes as ever ladies and I think your site is great, Petitecat. I gave it a few clicks!

A quick question for you knowledgeable ladies - my Lindy's choc fudge cake is great and went down well. What do you recommend for a plain cake? Do you just use Lindy's madeira? I know a lot of the US ladies use WASC cake, but I wondered, what if the recipient doesn't like almonds (like my husband for a start!) Any recommendations would be gratefully received!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:35pm
post #7355 of 25877

Fenchiejo, I have never made a Madeira, just a victoria sponge recipe (which is essentially a vanilla cake isn't it!) :)

petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:36pm
post #7356 of 25877

what is a WASC?

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:42pm
post #7357 of 25877

ASame as petitecat frenchiejo I don't like madiera personally.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:46pm
post #7358 of 25877

I'm glad you asked that Petitecat I see it a lot on cc and always wonder what it means.Re the rice/wafer paper I have not bought any myself as yet but have these stored on amazon account, they're cheap so might be worth a go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008M56GJO/?tag=cakecentral-20

Frenchie Jo I use Carol Deacon's madiera recipe it's basically a victoria sponge with 2oz of extra self raising flour in it.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:50pm
post #7359 of 25877

AJean, it's White Almond Sourcream Cake. They make it using box mixes but I saw a recipe from scratch some time back.

Ok... Here is my son's birthday cake... The Coke and the drm sticks made out of rice krispy treats and the rest with cake. First time air brushing!!!

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3240565/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Frenchiejo Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:50pm
post #7360 of 25877

ASorry! It's White Almond Sour Cream Cake. I know from various US sites they seem to swear by it. I know a lot of people don't like madeira as it can be dry. But what if people don't like almonds?! :D

Frenchiejo Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:51pm
post #7361 of 25877

AOoh, thanks Bashini, you got in before me. That cake is amazing!

bashini Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:55pm
post #7362 of 25877

AThanks Frenchiejo. :smile:

I make a sponge called HD sponge. It's lovely!!! It's moist, dense and great for carving too!!! There is another recipe which is from Mitch Turner and I know lot of people using this. You can give it ago...

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:59pm
post #7363 of 25877

Oh Bashini that is fab! Cant wait to give mine a go ..... come on colours.arrive!!!! I really wanna do a burger!

Foxy.I had a Lakeland delivery too.............the delivery man was about 98 so i think your right! :lol: 

petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:07pm
post #7364 of 25877

Wow Bashini that is fabulous!

petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:07pm
post #7365 of 25877

I want a KFC now...

roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:18pm
post #7366 of 25877

Wow Bashini that is amazing, are they edible images you've used? Can I ask where you get them, do you get them online? Fantastic airbrushing can't believe that's your first go.

I want a KFc now to :lol:

roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:19pm
post #7367 of 25877

Haha Tiddy maybe if one of the other ladies are waiting for a Lakeland delivery they might get lucky and get a hunky man in the middle age range :lol:

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:30pm
post #7368 of 25877

ABrilliant Bashini, absolutely brilliant!

bashini Posted 24 May 2014 , 1:38pm
post #7369 of 25877

AThank you everyone!!! :grin:

Tiddy, you'll love it!!!:)

Roxylee, yes, they are edible images. My friend has one of those printers. So she does it for me. The other friend is LeeAnn from Beyond Imagination. If you have FB, have a look butI will try to post a link to her blog. I think The Cake Decorating Company do them too. :-)

petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 2:09pm
post #7370 of 25877

By the way Roxy thanks for info about wafer paper.

Where is that @ symbol??? It's disappeared!!

Oh I had another question this time about giant cupcakes- how do you prefer to cover the base cake- with candy or fondant? Which do you find easier?

roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 2:24pm
post #7371 of 25877

No problem Bashini and thanks for the info on edible images. I have looked at the printers and they are not a bad price really but they have to be used at least once a week apparently so the ink doesn't dry in it. It would only be work investing in one if you were going to be using it all the time. I haven't actually done a giant cupcake yet even though I've had the silicone mould for about a year, think it might be because I didn't like the other silicone moulds gave them away, I should buy a proper tin one and give one a go one day.

maisie73 Posted 24 May 2014 , 3:17pm
post #7372 of 25877

AWow bashinimy son would love that cake! :-)

Yay! A question the resident doofus can answer! I always cover the giant cupcake base with fondant Jean. I keep meaning to try chocolate or candy melts but don't want to trim the cake just too make it fit inside something. I think the cake is the best part of a cake (good English!) Whatever it's covered with and it grieves me to trim any of them.

BTW Roxy, I had a silicone cupcake mould and I just could not get on with it. The proper pan is much better IMO.

bashini Posted 24 May 2014 , 3:25pm
post #7373 of 25877

ARoxylee, I cannot get the link to her page. So if you can please check Lee-Ann Welsh. :)

Maisie, thank you and I am with you about the proper cupcake pan!! :)

petitecat Posted 24 May 2014 , 3:36pm
post #7374 of 25877

AMaisie do you cover the giant cupcake like you would a normal cake then put the top part on top of that (more good English!)?

roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 5:52pm
post #7375 of 25877

Thanks Bashini and thanks Maisie I will have to pick the proper cakepan up I look at it all the time and don't get it, It's only about £3 in Home Bargains so I don't know why I'll be moaning if one day I need it and there all gone and I have to pay more for it.

maisie73 Posted 24 May 2014 , 6:51pm
post #7376 of 25877

AHaha! Good English is us! Can you imagine our Australian or American friends having a nose on here today!

Yes Jean just like a normal cake. Level the bottom, turn it upside down, crumbcoat, put sp on as if its a normal cake and find the grooves with my finger first then go over them properly with a ball tool. Then turn it the right way up, put it o the board and that's your bottom layer. I crumb coat the top before I put it on the bottom cos I'm so messy. Then I put the jam and cream on the bottom, put the top on and decorate. A pint glass is good for the top BTW, put it top side down into the glass to trim and flat side down on the glass to crumbcoat. Hpe that makes sense!

Roxy if you've seen those tins for £3 grab one! I paid £20 for mine!

roxylee123 Posted 24 May 2014 , 7:38pm
post #7377 of 25877

I will Maisie don't know why I didn't get sooner bloody daft I am. The tip about the pint glass is a gooden Maisie thanks for sharing I'll have to remember that :smile: 

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 24 May 2014 , 8:10pm
post #7378 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Siany, this is what I use,so helpful, but I do change it abit, if you look at the quantities for an 8" square, where it says 5 eggs I scale up to to the 6 egg mix and do it in 2 stages, that way I get a deeper sponge, I tend to do that most of the time now.

Thanks Nanny.  So, if my poor tired brains understands do the quantities for the 6 egg mix twice and sandwich?? also I cant quite see on the pic cos of the glare but does it say self raising flour?

nannycook Posted 24 May 2014 , 8:50pm
post #7379 of 25877

ANo Siany I do the 6 egg quantity, but divide it and do the 3 egg and 175grms twice, does that make sense?

nannycook Posted 24 May 2014 , 8:52pm
post #7380 of 25877

AAnd yes its self raising flour also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%